do chords fall into the category that if it sounds good it is good ?

because i see a-lot of chords that are not within key like this progression

||: Cmaj7 | Cmaj7 | Am9 | Am9 | Bb7 | Bb7 | Cmaj7 | Cmaj7 :||

so is all chords interchangeable regardless of key ?
Quote by 951

Not really. Your progression falls within the realm of tonal harmony as opposed to diatonic harmony.

Best,

Sean
Quote by 951

The ultimate goal of key-centered music is to wander away from the tonic and return to it with strong resolution. You may use any chord you wish; just be sure you're establishing your key with cadences/resolution. In this case, the Bb7 is borrowed from the parallel minor as a dominant chord, settint up resolution to Cmaj7.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
yes all music follows that rule(actually not even some music isnt meant to sound good)
there is thoery that explains that progression as there is with most music becasue you dont have to play strictly in key
Ultimately music is about sound, so with anything in music "if it sounds good it is good". Ultimately, the listener 9 times out of 10 isn't going to care whether your chord progression is diatonic, polyphonic or hexatronic. It's just music so the end result is all that really matters ;P
Quote by Sean0913
Not really. Your progression falls within the realm of tonal harmony as opposed to diatonic harmony.

i thought diatonic and tonal harmony was one in the same as moving with progression

whats the difference in them ?
Quote by 951
i thought diatonic and tonal harmony was one in the same as moving with progression

whats the difference in them ?

Diatonic sticks strictly to the notes within a key. Say you're in C major, you only use the notes of the C major scale, C D E F G A B

Tonal music is close, you still have a home to go to, but you use outside notes. You'll notice that a lot of rock bands use Ab maj and Bb maj in a C major song, It still has a C major tonality, but you're not staying diatonic. You can borrow chords, add accidentals, etc
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
Quote by Ultima2876
Ultimately music is about sound, so with anything in music "if it sounds good it is good". Ultimately, the listener 9 times out of 10 isn't going to care whether your chord progression is diatonic, polyphonic or hexatronic. It's just music so the end result is all that really matters ;P

If you like it, you like it!