Hey people,

I have decided that my cabs are letting my amp down alot and so I'm looking to get a decent cab.

I don't mind if it's 2x12 or 4x12 (don't gig so no need to move it)

I will mostly be playing metal through the amp (Think Metallica, Rammstein, Iron Maiden and a little of other stuff like Guns n roses, velvet revolver) so the sound needs to be quite tight and a bit scooped.

I've heard vintage 30s are good for metal. I have been looking at various brands like Orange, Randall and other custom brands like zilla cabs but I have no idea what to pick!

I would like to spend as little as possible but I want the cab to be able to last long and sound good.

Thanks alot!
Laney VH100R, Randall KH 4x12 cab, Harley Benton G212V, ESP LTD EC-1000, Jackson Demmelition King V, LTD KH-602, Tanglewood TW170, LTD EX-50, Squire Strat, Zakk Wylde wah, EHX Small Clone, Blackstar HT-5H
Zilla or orange are a good shout. Orange you'd want the closed back which you'd probably struggle with new.

Zillas are meant to be awesome and obviously you get a lot of customisation there.,

Engl 2x12 pros like mine are nice but rarely had for cheap. I just lucked out and got an ex display one for 379.

Theres also marshall there vintage 30 loaded 1960av should be had easily for cheap on the used market.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Zilla or orange are a good shout. Orange you'd want the closed back which you'd probably struggle with new.

Zillas are meant to be awesome and obviously you get a lot of customisation there.,

Engl 2x12 pros like mine are nice but rarely had for cheap. I just lucked out and got an ex display one for 379.

Theres also marshall there vintage 30 loaded 1960av should be had easily for cheap on the used market.

+1

Orange PPC412/PPC212 are probably the best cabs you can buy so i'd suggest those, also Zilla make very good custom cabs aswell. Alternatively you can get a Marshall 1960a or the Harley Benton vintage cabs. Its probably best to go used as its cheaper and the speakers will have broke in.

Epiphone Wilshire
Orange Rocker 30
Harley Benton 212 (w/Greenbacks)
Ernie Ball Vp jr
Swollen Pickle fuzz
Maxon OD808
Danelectro Vibe
Line 6 Tap Tremolo
Line 6 Verbzilla
EH Memory Man Hazarai
Boss RC20XL

Last.fm
Check out my band haze
Would the Marshall be ok? There's one on ebay right now buy it now £350. Is that a good deal? There's also a closed back Orange 212 with closed back for £430 which I could stretch to. I can get a custom Zilla 2x12 with V30s for about £380. Would a 4x12 give be a bigger sound and a bigger bottom end or would the 2x12's be good for a tight sound?
Laney VH100R, Randall KH 4x12 cab, Harley Benton G212V, ESP LTD EC-1000, Jackson Demmelition King V, LTD KH-602, Tanglewood TW170, LTD EX-50, Squire Strat, Zakk Wylde wah, EHX Small Clone, Blackstar HT-5H
Thomann Harley Benton 412 with Celestion V30's? http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g412a_vintage.htm £295 new and you wouldn't have to pay for P&P
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Quote by UKMaster
Would the Marshall be ok? There's one on ebay right now buy it now £350. Is that a good deal? There's also a closed back Orange 212 with closed back for £430 which I could stretch to. I can get a custom Zilla 2x12 with V30s for about £380. Would a 4x12 give be a bigger sound and a bigger bottom end or would the 2x12's be good for a tight sound?

Seen the marshalls for cheaper.. you can't really go wrong with any of them. I wouldn't go Harley benton because you can afford better and cabs are about more then the speakers
Quote by UKMaster

Zilla do a "Fatboy" 212 cab which is meant to have the oomph of a 412. May be worth a look.
Thanks for the suggestions! Keep them coming! Also, I've heard the Harley Benton is not very good quality and I would like the cab to last quite a while I like the sound of that fatboy. Will check it out
Quote by UKMaster
Thanks for the suggestions! Keep them coming! Also, I've heard the Harley Benton is not very good quality and I would like the cab to last quite a while I like the sound of that fatboy. Will check it out

The HB cab seems fairly good, 16mm Plywood, the Orange PPC212 is 18mm. Got to wonder where the corners are cut though, given the overall price of the cab is a bit more than the two speakers. Obviously they get them at a wholesale/bulk price but...

I haven't heard a negative thing about the Zilla cabs yet. No experience with any of these, just fair research heh, so take it with a pinch of salt.
Closed back Orange 212, great quality and insanely good sounding cab.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Just to mention my budget has now moved to £550 as I just remembered I'll need to sell my old cabs! So, now what are your suggestions! :P I can afford a Zilla 4x12, or an Orange PPC412 and quite a few others. I would still like to buy something a bit lower in price as I am now interested in also replacing my amp.
I'm no expert on cabs, but given that you're from SW Wales...

Would it make sense to buy 2 or 4 speakers of your choice and get a custom builder to build you an enclosure for them? I say this because I have just dropped my amp off to a custom cab builder from South Wales whose work is reasonably priced. He'll basically do anything you want and finish it how you want.

From what I saw of his work in the workshop/photos he's handy with wood.
Zilla by a mile. They don't cost more than a 2x12 from a big brand but sound even better and you get just what you want. There's no downside.
Guitars Rickenbacker 330, Partscaster Tele, Simon and Patrick Acoustic.
Effects BOSS Loopstation 20XL,Cry Baby.
Amplification Peavey Classic 50 head, Zilla 2x12 cab with Tayden Speakers .