I got two guitars,I play for like half a year now,I am doing pretty good,everything selftaught. My original plan was to buy bass since I'm a more lazy simple guy so I decided I'm going to buy it.

I was looking for some Cort basses,maybe a E bass. What should I buy? Also which amp? Not a too big one,it's for in room practice.
Budget for bass+amp= cca. 250-300€ max.

EDIT: Oh and forgot to mention I play punkrock.
Last edited by chargerbandit at Jul 13, 2011,
in punk the basslines and guitar parts are usually identical. so i don't see where you think the bass is more a 'lazy mans instrument'

I understand that mindset if your gonna play reggae or something, but whatever.

anyway on to your question. look used, check pawnshops. for punk (or anything, but definately for punk) try and find a squier P bass.
no sir away a papaya war is on
I second the Squier P bass, damn good basses for cheap.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Good bass amp for cheap Fender's Rumble series. 15 watt around $99 and 30 around $175. Personally I would get the 75 ($250ish). It'll be good for gigs if you play any and is very portable, lightweight, and great sound! It's got roller wheels and comes with a case (most do but not all, depends where you buy from).

Now for the bass I would look into Squier like the two above have mentioned. Very good basses for the money. They have really stepped up their game with these basses, the looks and finishes are the exact same as actual Fender basses but different intestines. For your genre of music I would go with the P series, it's got a little bit of a "pop" sound to the strings. Make's your playing sound a little more like Rage Againt the Machine. Almost where sounds like the strings are loose ha.
I'd say a Yamaha RBX series and a Peavey Micro Bass amp.

That's what I started with and they both served me very well.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
I'd say a Yamaha RBX series and a Peavey Micro Bass amp.

That's what I started with and they both served me very well.

Good recommendation, the only thing is with these basses the price ranges and so does the quality. I would NOT go with the RBX170. The least I would go for is the RBX374, if you're not in a rush and like the look of the Yamaha basses I would save for the BB424X. Very nice bass, has a real clean tone, nice feeling fretboard, and is very versatile to whatever genre of music you're playing.
I went with an RBX270, it was pretty alright.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by ChemicalFire
I went with an RBX270, it was pretty alright.

Lol I had no idea they had anything in between the two. I messed around on a 170 a few weeks ago at band practice and it just wasn't the tone that I was looking for, it was kind of twangy. Loved the feel of the bass and liked how the fretboard felt but just wasn't the sound I was looking for that day.
I'd disagree with the guys above and say get an RBX170. I started out on an RBX170 and actually it's a solid beginner bass. It was cheap, tone is nothing special but P/J makes it a bit versatile and best of all it's really comfortable to play as it sets up well for a low-priced bass. The poster said it's for bedroom practise through a small amp so I doubt tone is their main concern.

Ultimately, I don't really think you can go wrong with something along the lines of the RBX170 or a Squier.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by indie-bassist
I'd disagree with the guys above and say get an RBX170. I started out on an RBX170 and actually it's a solid beginner bass. It was cheap, tone is nothing special but P/J makes it a bit versatile and best of all it's really comfortable to play as it sets up well for a low-priced bass. The poster said it's for bedroom practise through a small amp so I doubt tone is their main concern.

Ultimately, I don't really think you can go wrong with something along the lines of the RBX170 or a Squier.

Nothing against the bass itself but like you said it's more geared for the practice at home, not too loud kind of bass. But for someone who is planning on playing gigs with the thing should just stick it out and pay the extra $150. Down the road you would've wished you did if you didn't. That's what always happened to me then I got wiser
Quote by PRS417
Nothing against the bass itself but like you said it's more geared for the practice at home, not too loud kind of bass. But for someone who is planning on playing gigs with the thing should just stick it out and pay the extra $150. Down the road you would've wished you did if you didn't. That's what always happened to me then I got wiser

Unless you're a cheap bastard like me . Again, I gigged with mine for a bit, yeah it wasn't brilliant but it did the job until I splashed out on a Fender. Just think it's a real solid bass on a budget, I'd spend the $150 on a better amp, one that might last a bit better than a 15w practise amp.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by PRS417

I gigged with my Rbx270, admittedly the tone was a little flabby but the bass it's self was great to play.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by ChemicalFire
I gigged with my Rbx270, admittedly the tone was a little flabby but the bass it's self was great to play.

Yamaha definitely did a good job with the look and feel of the basses. Good bass for a beginner no doubt!
OK I was looking at this option: Cort E-Bas GB-PJ + BEHRINGER BXL450 ULTRABASS 45W 1X10" BASS COMBO. Some people say the combo is pretty good,any toughts?
I started on a RBX 270 as well. Great starters. Very solid build.

To above, Cort usually = good. But Behringer... Did you read the FAQ? With their QC it's really not worth the risk. You might get something that lasts forever (Had mine for about 6 years with no problems) and on the other (more probable side) you'll get a total lemon. As I said; it's just not worth the risk, or the hassle to replace it under warranty, possibly many times over.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB