Hi everyone

I've got this weird " tink " sound that comes from my headstock area every once in a while if i move a tuning peg or bend a string (on my LTD ). Doesn't happen on my gibson (although i may have heard it once a while ago)..

Happens with the B and G strings generally. Hasn't seemed to cause any real problems, strings never break and I stay in tune very well. Also I'm using schaller locking tuners.

Any idea what that could be? Something with the nut maybe??

thanks
-Gibson SG special - faded brown
-ESP LTD MH400NT w/ EMG 81 - 85
-Peavey Valve King 112
-Digitech Bad Monkey OD
-Dunlop Original Crybaby
-GHS strings
Its the nut catching the string. Thats why some are made out of graphite so they don't catch. An easy fix for this is to get some pencil lead (which really is graphite) and rub it in the slots of the nut. That will give it a nice coat of graphite and it will not catch the strings anymore.
Where's Waldo?
Would it be worth it to buy some of that nut sauce lubricant? Or is using a pencil more practical? I've read that the pencil lead doesn't really last and I'd rather go for a more permanent fix.
-Peavey Valve King 112
-Digitech Bad Monkey OD
-Dunlop Original Crybaby
-GHS strings
Last edited by W METALLICA W at Jul 13, 2011,
Neither one is a permanent fix, it's just covering up the problem and you wait for it to surface again so you can "fix" it another time. Both the pencil lead and the lubricant will last about the same amount of time and you'd have to reapply every time you changed strings.

A permanent fix would be filling the string slots on those two strings correctly. This isn't that hard to do and the specific nut file for that string shouldn't be too much. There are other ways of filing out the nut slot, but I'll let you Google it and decide: A) if you want to do this and B) the method in which you want to go about it.

EDIT: It could also be the string slipping on the tuning post as well. Do whatever you gotta do to make the noise happen and listen real close by the headstock and see exactly where it's coming from. If it ends up being the tuning post where the sound is coming from, then the problem lies in the way you string up your guitar.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Jul 13, 2011,
Quote by Flux'D
Neither one is a permanent fix, it's just covering up the problem and you wait for it to surface again so you can "fix" it another time. Both the pencil lead and the lubricant will last about the same amount of time and you'd have to reapply every time you changed strings.

A permanent fix would be filling the string slots on those two strings correctly. This isn't that hard to do and the specific nut file for that string shouldn't be too much. There are other ways of filing out the nut slot, but I'll let you Google it and decide: A) if you want to do this and B) the method in which you want to go about it.

EDIT: It could also be the string slipping on the tuning post as well. Do whatever you gotta do to make the noise happen and listen real close by the headstock and see exactly where it's coming from. If it ends up being the tuning post where the sound is coming from, then the problem lies in the way you string up your guitar.

I thought the Earvana compensated nut was supposed to be pretty legit! Alas, the filing sounds like a good plan.. although I'm kind of mad I'd have to do that, my LTD seems to be made really well. It's definitely coming from the nut though, my schaller locking tuners are holding strong as ever, no issues.
-Peavey Valve King 112
-Digitech Bad Monkey OD
-Dunlop Original Crybaby
-GHS strings
I didn't know the guitar had an Earvana nut, what gauge strings are you using out of curiosity? Heavier gauge strings will sometimes catch in the nut since it wasn't filed for the extra meat going through it.

I started to write a rant about Earvana nuts, then realized it was rather pointless

EDIT: It's not that big of deal, 95% of the nuts on production guitars aren't correct. Gibsons and PRS's both have nuts that aren't quite what they actually should be, just like any other brand. It's not a specific thing about your guitar or LTD
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Jul 13, 2011,
Quote by Flux'D
I didn't know the guitar had an Earvana nut, what gauge strings are you using out of curiosity? Heavier gauge strings will sometimes catch in the nut since it wasn't filed for the extra meat going through it.

I started to write a rant about Earvana nuts, then realized it was rather pointless

EDIT: It's not that big of deal, 95% of the nuts on production guitars aren't correct. Gibsons and PRS's both have nuts that aren't quite what they actually should be, just like any other brand. It's not a specific thing about your guitar or LTD

I'm using 10's - I'm pretty sure the guitar was shipped with 10's on it but I'm not positive. Good stuff man, thanks a lot.
-Peavey Valve King 112
-Digitech Bad Monkey OD
-Dunlop Original Crybaby
-GHS strings