Budget - 1200-1400 (going to buy used.)
Genre - Post metal, post rock, and a little hardcore in between.

Well, I'm upgrading my amp and probably going to buy used to save on cash (if that makes much of a difference, I don't know.)

I currently have an ESP LTD - 1000, and currently run it through a Valveking 112 Combo. I love it, but it's pretty confined to only playing heavy stuff.

I want to branch out into post metal/post rock stuff, and was planning onto invest in either a Mesa Dual Rectifier or a Marshall JCM 2000[/I}. I don't want to be confined to one sound anymore.

The sound I'm looking for is akin to that of bands like Rosetta, Devil Sold His Soul, Isis, etc.

I want the distortion to be clear, aggressive but still clear sounding, and something that would handle quiet/loud dynamics well, but still good enough for playing heavier stuff as well, like Every Time I Die.

Any advice would be a huge help.

I know post influenced genres are very dependent on effects, which I will be investing largely in as well, but I was just hoping if anyone could shed any insight as to what amp I should invest in.

tl dr:
I can't decide if I want a Mesa Dual Rectifier or Marshall JCM 2000 (open to suggestions, too.), to play post rock/post metal, I need something that can handle loud to quiet dynamics well, as well as being versatile enough so I can still play heavy stuff when I want to.
Last edited by Coheed777 at Jul 13, 2011,
Noted, man.
A few of the bands actually play Marshall JCM 800s I think.

I've also heard good things about Orange Rockerverbs, might look into those too.
^Yeah, bit I think the Mesa 100percent.
Fender MIM 60th Anniversary Strat
Freshman Apollo Electro-acoustic
Line 6 POD HD500
Marshall MG15CD
I have the valve king 112 as well, and I've also got an LTD similar to yours.. I would say you can't go wrong with the Mesa. If I had the chance to buy a mesa, i'd get one tomorrow. Although I do love peavey and lust for the 6505+ half stack.
-Gibson SG special - faded brown
-ESP LTD MH400NT w/ EMG 81 - 85
-Peavey Valve King 112
-Digitech Bad Monkey OD
-Dunlop Original Crybaby
-GHS strings
Alot of what you will hear coming out of the amp depends on the tubes you could get a bugera and swap the tube on it to get a lot of the botique amp sounds out there. A lot of people out there may dis me for this but I like the Line 6 amps. The new mkII head produce a pretty decent sound. I will admit that the amp still sounds a little digital. If your looking for a place to buy though go on ebay.
Er, both the Marshall and the Mesa will give you tones suitable for the sounds, the only problem is that their tones are significantly different. Although the sound of the Mesa would be quite a bit more modern than the Marshall.

You'd want to note that there will be no way the JCM will be able to give you the chugg and sag of the Recto.

On the other hand, while you can throw a Marshall-in-a-box dirt pedal in front of the Recto, you won't be able to get a good replication of the JCM.

Really its more a case of your taste in tones and what you prefer.

Quote by Briyan_15
Alot of what you will hear coming out of the amp depends on the tubes you could get a bugera and swap the tube on it to get a lot of the botique amp sounds out there. A lot of people out there may dis me for this but I like the Line 6 amps. The new mkII head produce a pretty decent sound. I will admit that the amp still sounds a little digital. If your looking for a place to buy though go on ebay.

The Spider Valve isn't a bad amp, although if you want to tame the digital edge, have you tried lowering the channel volume to a whisper and then using the master to get your volume. Pushing the power tubes this way really helps to overcome that digital edge you're hearing.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jul 13, 2011,
i am assuming $1200 for a whole new rig (head+cab or combo)

in that situation, you could go either way the JCM or the Dual Rec.

you just have to pick your flavor just how kitty said.

there are two things i do have to add to that.

1. if you are craving a dual rec, you will never get that tone without having a dual rec. and if you don't want the sound of a dual rec, you wont be able to get rid of it. also if you go with a dual rec, try for a two channel or a tremoverb (if you can get your hands on it in budget).

2. i wouldn't be looking into marshall for marshall tone, at least nothing that is produced today. IMO JCM2000's sound too fizzy, some claim boosting it with a tubescreamer would help, but i honestly can't say i tried. if i were looking into marshall i would look into some of the boutique companies out there, granted they may cost a little bit more, but in most cases they will rape what marshall is doing. i really am impressed with my splawns, the quickrod is their marshall sounding a la JCM amp, and i have a Promod (same thing but KT88's instead of EL34's).

there are a lot of compaines out there. just search around and see what you can get.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I went to the store today and tried out a Mesa Boogie Mark V and really liked it, but I also found a local dude that wants to sell his JCM2000 + Cab for 900 dollars, would that be a good deal?