Hi

Me and my bandmate dissagree on what will yield us the best results when we record. He is about to blow his salary on the Axe Fx to give us 'better recordings' that are currently 'out of reach' with our current gear. We have Cubase 5, Zoom r16, 2 SM57s and the gear listed in the discription. Do you think that the Fx will sound better? Granted we actually kind of suck at mic positioning and eq'ing I still believe the tube amp will sound better if we keep going at it and trying... He also does not have an amp so when we practice with our drummer he keeps saying that he's going to hook himself up to my stereo... Can you help me convince him wrong? hehe

thanks in advance
If you can't EQ and suck with mic positions you are better off free with free amp sims + impulses.

Everyone is all about micing tube amps but to be honest unless you can EQ or mic properly it sounds ****ing horrible (listen to the recording in orginial recordings or cover forums *insert a shudder*....)I am not discouraging micing of amps. I'm just saying if you keep practicing you will get it, but you need to know how to get a good sound before you will. If you stick it out and learn to EQ and mic you can get good results.

Personally I like a slightly digital sound and prefer amp sims over micing (for various reasons even though I can do both adequately).

With that said if you can't EQ an amp sim it will just as bad or even worse, which happends to people who don't learn how to EQ. Its a slightly different EQ then micing.
Last edited by FireHawk at Jul 13, 2011,
Personally I'd take the AxeFx, but that is a pretty nice set up.

Quote by FireHawk
If you can't EQ and suck with mic positions you are better off free with free amp sims + impulses.

Everyone is all about micing tube amps but to be honest unless you can EQ or mic properly it sounds ****ing horrible (listen to the recording in orginial recordings or cover forums *insert a shudder*....I am not discouraging micing of amps. I'm just saying if you keep practicing you will get it, but you need to know how to get a good sound before you will. If you stick it out and learn to EQ and mic you can get good results.

Personally I like a slightly digital sound and prefer amp sims over micing (for various reasons even though I can do both adequately).

I've always had pretty good results micing.. I don't understand how people get those incredibly hollow tinny tones.
Last edited by Ignite at Jul 13, 2011,
In before Periphery did it

Honestly, if you're having trouble EQing and micing an amp, start with free amp sims
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by lockwolf
In before Periphery did it.

LOL now, now Wolf
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
LOL now, now Wolf

It seems I've seen a few "Oh, yeah Pehriphery used Axe FX in the studio so it must be good" responses :p
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
So did Devin Townsend, Animals As Leaders (Tosin Abasi)...

The Axe-FX will give you better results recording as opposed to micing up your amp. However, when you have a properly treated room and you're good at positioning mics, the Fireball will sound like absolute brutality if you want it to.
I have a Fireball and a cab with those k100s, it's a pretty painless setup to get decent mic'd tones from. An sm57 against the cloth, an inch or so off the center of the speaker (left or right) and you're good to go. I find the Fireball with the k100s sounds great with all knobs at around noon. If you can't get it sounding right mic'd consider using the Fireball with one of the many good impulses or bypassing the amps and using only the cabs in the likes of Amplitube or Pod Farm.