i'm going to be building a copy of the Alexi scythe this fall.

my question is whether or not locking tuners would work in place of a locking nut? if so, how well?
Quote by Duv
And smack an open A chord and hold the body and see if it vibrates like a middle-aged woman's best friend.

Quote by guitarxo
I hope you get raped by a bayonet

Quote by beckyjc
Roland Cube / Vox Valvetronix / Peavey Vypyr / Hitler > Line 6 Spider.
Locking nut is pretty much required for a Floyd. You don't need locking tuners if you have a locking nut.

Locking tuners cannot replace a locking nut. The reason for the locking nut is so the strings don't create friction and snag on the nut while using the tremolo, thus knocking you out of tune.
okay, just amking sure because i prefer locking tuners over a nut.
Quote by Duv
And smack an open A chord and hold the body and see if it vibrates like a middle-aged woman's best friend.

Quote by guitarxo
I hope you get raped by a bayonet

Quote by beckyjc
Roland Cube / Vox Valvetronix / Peavey Vypyr / Hitler > Line 6 Spider.
well, you could get a roller nut and locking tuners, but even then, you may go out of tune if you divebomb.

however, it will get close to that stability of a locking nut.

edit: but it still won't be as stable as a locking nut. they really do work, and there is a reason that they are on floyd rose guitars.
Last edited by 00_hns_00 at Jul 14, 2011,
Don't bother with locking tuners for an FR. They don't mix.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by 00_hns_00
well, you could get a roller nut and locking tuners, but even then, you may go out of tune if you divebomb.

If you dive all the way down then the strings will probably escape from the saddle grooves, so with extreme whammy usage the matter is not of staying in tune or not, but rather having the strings stay in place at all or not.