Page 1 of 2
Today I learned that 101.9FM RXP one of, if not the last, true alternative rock station on Long Island, closes down Friday. I’m legit angry and upset about it this. This is the second station in quick succession that has closed. This was the last place I could go to hear new music from some of my favorite bands, like the Gaslight Anthem, The Hold Steady, Wilco, Modest Mouse, bands like that. And “classic” alternative and indie bands Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, White Stripes, Green Day, etc

Now all thats left is Q 104.3 and 102.3 WBAB which are stations that play nothing but Zepplin, Ac/Dc, Boston, etc all day long. They play what I call “Fake Rock Radio” Nothing that came in the last 20 years is worth listening according to these people. Only classic rock counts. Not new rock. **** this. People arent even angry, other than people who share my taste in music. Its rediculous to lose two of these stations. Hopefully another pops up.

Wondering if this happens in anyone else's area/city/town. In the US and abroad. And fellow pit members thoughts on it.
When your city has no good radio stations then you should start one yourself.
That's odd. The alternative station here is shutting down too. It's a conspiracy!!!!!

EDIT:

Dammit Toki, I didn't know Scandinavian people could be ninjas!
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Last edited by IRISH_PUNK13 at Jul 13, 2011,
Jesus that ****ing sucks! Nineties at noon, what'll I do without you?

Not sure if you'll get it in LI, but you can try 89.5 FM. They play mostly metal, surprisingly enough, but they sometimes have good rock on there too. Otherwise we're stuck with 104.3 who gradually increase the spectrum of "classic rock"
NYY _______________________________________________ NYG
Last edited by DangerPat 00 at Jul 13, 2011,
Quote by DangerPat 00
Jesus that ****ing sucks! Nineties at noon, what'll I do without you?

I don't know what I'm gonna do without the last letter game.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
By the way, do you have a source on RXP shutting down? I can't seem to find any with google...
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13

Dammit Toki, I didn't know Scandinavian people could be ninjas!

They can be. They're so white they can blend in with the snow.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Is that the station the Opie & Anthony show's on?

If it is, good riddance, as I've ordered my free Whip 'Em Out Wednesday sticker no less than 3 times without receiving it.
Last edited by ErikLensherr at Jul 13, 2011,
No! I like 101.9. At least you still have 104.3, in New Jersey where I am we also have 105.5, which is really good.
Tick tock and waiting for the meteor
This clock is opening another door
Quote by DangerPat 00
By the way, do you have a source on RXP shutting down? I can't seem to find any with google...

http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlny/merlin-media-sets-friday-for-takeover-of-101-9_b39224
Quote by Msword7
No! I like 101.9. At least you still have 104.3, in New Jersey where I am we also have 105.5, which is really good.

104.3 isnt bad but it doesnt play anything new. or anything from before 1990.
Up here, pretty much all of our radio channels suck ass through a straw (at least all the popular/musical ones), with the exception of CHOM 97.7, except they're pretty much 97% commercials.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: The Police

Please excuse my proper spelling and grammar, English is one of my first languages.
I had a station here (104.9 The Edge) that got flipped into a country station. And I loved 104.9, it was a lot of different varieties of rock, metal, punk and all of my favorites

I like country, but I love rock/metal. We still have 103.5, but they don't play as heavy music.
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
I love my alt rock station 96.1 (96X)

I would be fairly upset if they went out or changed styles (last year a different rock station suddenly started playing ambient Chinese music for a few days, and now it plays hip-hop )
Quote by skyhawk714
104.3 isnt bad but it doesnt play anything new. or anything from before 1990.
104.3 is terrible, and that's coming from someone who listens to a lot of classic rock.

The only radio station I listen to in NJ these days is 90.5, Brookdale Community College's station. You won't get it in Long Island, but it might be worth a shot to see if a local college has their own station. They tend to play a pretty wide variety of music.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
102.1 TEH EDGE

They play new alt-rock, but I still love 'em.

Also 97.1 The Eagle, for the Russ Martin Morning Show, even though I get up too late to hear it

I would be upset if they were shut down.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
An alternative station in Philly shut down about a year ago. It sucked
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
sounds like south florida. we only have one station left and it plays the same exact type of music. everything else is new pop, spanish music (which seriously all sounds the same), and crappy rap (not saying that rap is bad, just the rap they play).
Yeah Q101.1 is shutting down and its being replaced by talk radio
COOLEST GUITAR EVER!
Peavey: Vypyr 15W
ESP: H-1001
Guitar Rig 5 with Kontrol
Eleven rack
Fender blues Jr III
Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro
Daredevil 77 IC Op-Amp Fuzz
NOOOOOOO!!!

At least on the jersey shore we still have 105.7 and 95.5.

Remember K-Rock, btw? It still exists. On its old station, on hd radio. (92.3 I think)
Quote by Kevin19
I love my alt rock station 96.1 (96X)

I would be fairly upset if they went out or changed styles (last year a different rock station suddenly started playing ambient Chinese music for a few days, and now it plays hip-hop )

Are you by chance in the East Texas/Shreveport area?
Quote by GettintheLedout
NOOOOOOO!!!

At least on the jersey shore we still have 105.7 and 95.5.

Remember K-Rock, btw? It still exists. On its old station, on hd radio. (92.3 I think)

K-Rock went back to K-Rock for a week, realized how much money it lost, and went immediately back to a top 40 only station. Sad, but they pride themselves on being commercial free now.

Quote by Weaponized
Turn the radio off

Try thinking for yourself for once in your life.

Quote by metaldud536
I had no idea people still listened to the radio. That's what I have my mp3 player for.

Last edited by DangerPat 00 at Jul 14, 2011,
Quote by jetfuel495
101.something over in Chicago is shutting down tomorrow too.

Ya 101.1 in Chicago is shutting down. Which is sad cause it's basically the only alternative/rock station that's decent. It's a lot of mainstream stuff, but it's better than 99% of the other radio stations.
[]
Quote by skyhawk714
Today I learned that 101.9FM RXP one of, if not the last, true alternative rock station on Long Island, closes down Friday. I’m legit angry and upset about it this. This is the second station in quick succession that has closed. This was the last place I could go to hear new music from some of my favorite bands, like the Gaslight Anthem, The Hold Steady, Wilco, Modest Mouse, bands like that. And “classic” alternative and indie bands Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, White Stripes, Green Day, etc

Now all thats left is Q 104.3 and 102.3 WBAB which are stations that play nothing but Zepplin, Ac/Dc, Boston, etc all day long. They play what I call “Fake Rock Radio” Nothing that came in the last 20 years is worth listening according to these people. Only classic rock counts. Not new rock. **** this. People arent even angry, other than people who share my taste in music. Its rediculous to lose two of these stations. Hopefully another pops up.

Wondering if this happens in anyone else's area/city/town. In the US and abroad. And fellow pit members thoughts on it.

Fake Rock Radio? Of course only people who share your taste in music are the only ones who are mad. You want Alternative music move to Houston we sure seem to have a hell of a lot of it, and I despise it. Clear Channel closed down Rock KLOL 101.1 about a decade ago, it was a rocks station. That played ANYTHING. You name it. Zeppelin. Stones. Nirvana. Soundgarden. Tool. Foos. ZZ Top. Ramones. Sex Pistols. White Stripes. It was amazing, but Clear Channel felt our demographic was better suited to turn Rock 101.1 into a Spanish Pop Hits Station.
Quote by Nirvana_RATM2
Fake Rock Radio? Of course only people who share your taste in music are the only ones who are mad. You want Alternative music move to Houston we sure seem to have a hell of a lot of it, and I despise it. Clear Channel closed down Rock KLOL 101.1 about a decade ago, it was a rocks station. That played ANYTHING. You name it. Zeppelin. Stones. Nirvana. Soundgarden. Tool. Foos. ZZ Top. Ramones. Sex Pistols. White Stripes. It was amazing, but Clear Channel felt our demographic was better suited to turn Rock 101.1 into a Spanish Pop Hits Station.

As much as I despise ClearChannel, Spanish Pop Hits are great.
WBCN 104.1 stopped playing on the radio in Boston a couple of years back. They were my favorite rock station, they just had way too many commercials.

Now I just go back and forth between WAAF 97.7 which plays a little bit of everything rock, WZLX 100.7 (classic rock) and radio 92.9 which is just a little of everything.
Mostly WAAF even though some of the shit on there really blows
Quote by ErikLensherr
Don't belittle it like that, your mom produces top quality stuff.

C4C
[thread="1339859"]Hammerhead[/thread]
[thread="1341152"]Anglerfish[/thread]

VOTE
Thrustor: 2012
Satelite radio seems to have quite a bit of alternative music. You should check it out.

Quote by Dirge Humani
The only station you need is 88.3 WBGO.

+1
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Hahaha I'm getting a new radio station in a few months. Not that it means anything since all the others are Top 40 stations.
cat
Only good stations we have is 93.7 when Charlie Hodge comes on and smack talks Austin, and Friday night at after 10 when 101.5 X starts to play real music, instead of all the stupid underground music that nobody has ever heard of because the majority of it sucks.
Quote by metaldud536
I had no idea people still listened to the radio. That's what I have my mp3 player for.

This
This happened about a year ago with probably the best rock station of the area. It was run by University of Florida for the past like 30 years, used the students as DJs and stuff, and played all sorts of rock. Then out of the blue I turn it on one day and all I hear is a loop of the same 10 new country pop shit songs. Apparantly they thought it was a good idea to suddenly switch a widely listened to rock station to a country station in an area with 11 other country stations.
Yea that's right, I want something to explode

I've been deaf, now I want noise

LOUD LOVE
Page 1 of 2