I can't decide between these amps. The Fender Blues Junior seems to take pedals fairly well, and has a nice clean tone. The Vox AC15C1 also has a nice clean tone, but sounds "bigger" with more chime. I like that the Vox AC15C1 has a bigger sound in general, but I'm concerned that the chime and midrange in it will interfere with my MI Audio Crunch Box. I'm just concerned with it being a good platform and having a great tone before adding any overdrive or boosting type of pedals.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Fenders take pedals great. Im sure the vox would work well too, and personally id prefer the vox's own overdrive to the fender's. but since its pedal distortion, my vote goes to the fender.
Thing is...that edge of breakup sound where it's almost clean, but not quite squeaky clean, sounds so good on the AC15. The tone where there is just a smidgen of breakup, but it doesn't kill delay repeats from a delay going into the front end? That's the tone. To me, Fender sounds better completely clean. I only want to play straight blues when a Fender amp starts to breakup.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
TC Electronic Nova Delay
Line 6 M5
Same here man, unless its squeaky clean, in which case i prefer a fender, i prefer a vox's overdrive 100% of the time.
Both amps take pedals well. I believe the Vox is quite a bit more expensive than the Blues JR. I personally would save up for the Vox. I've played through that amp quite a bit, and it has awesome cleans. Perfect for pushing with an OD pedal.
"Recording is God's way of telling you that you suck." -Bob Brozman
Ah, see...that's why I would really like an AC15 over the Blues JR, but I'm afraid my MI Audio Crunch Box will sound like a nasally mess through it.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
TC Electronic Nova Delay
Line 6 M5
The Vox should do fine with the Crunchbox. My Distortron, another Marshall in a box, works great with mine. Really transparent. If the mids end up being too much for you though, try running the Crunchbox in a loop with an EQ.