Thanks for taking the time to read this. every time I've tried to improve either of these skills with a metronome, I see no results, other than tension at a certain point. I'm not sure if I'm increasing the BPM too early, or if I'm just doing something stupid? Also, I'm starting the metronome 60 BPM
Rig:
Jackson SLSMG/Ibanez S470QS/Charvel DS-1 -> JCA100H/BV50H -> Carvin V212

Quote by JamSessionFreak
Some of my farts last longer than Axe does.
Well, say your down picking eighth notes, a gallop would be replacing one of the eighth notes with two sixteenth notes.

I.E.

--0---0---0---000---0---0---0---0

That would be one bar in 4/4, with a gallop. Now that would solve it if you're talking about tension in a musical sense. But if that's not exactly what you're talking about, please clarify.
Where's Waldo?
Quote by chadreed32
Well, say your down picking eighth notes, a gallop would be replacing one of the eighth notes with two sixteenth notes.

I.E.

--0---0---0---000---0---0---0---0

That would be one bar in 4/4, with a gallop. Now that would solve it if you're talking about tension in a musical sense. But if that's not exactly what you're talking about, please clarify.

I'm talking about muscle tension. You know, the kind that's bad for your wrist?
Rig:

Quote by JamSessionFreak
You just need to relax, extend your arm maybe a little longer. Try to use a combination of the different points of picking (Thumb/finger, Wrist, and Elbow [Don't rely to much on this one, as it can give you problems). Just keep practicing until you're used to it.
Where's Waldo?
Quote by CowpokeFromHell
Thanks for taking the time to read this. every time I've tried to improve either of these skills with a metronome, I see no results, other than tension at a certain point. I'm not sure if I'm increasing the BPM too early, or if I'm just doing something stupid? Also, I'm starting the metronome 60 BPM

You're increasing the BPM further than your technique will allow you to do easily which is causing you to tense up to reach the speeds you want to.

The real question is: what about my technique is stopping me from playing what I want? From there fixing it is simple, if time consuming.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Thats the problem. I don't know what is stopping me. I'm a little bit convinced fast palm muter riffs are hard for me because i used to anchor against the bridge, right behind where i would mute.
Rig:

Quote by JamSessionFreak
One of the hardest things I had to overcome after stopping my pinky anchoring habbit was being able to pm'd galloping riffs. I'm not shure why, you would think finding the strings, or string skipping, or something else, but no it was fast pm'd riffs, I could still do them, but with tones of extra tension I didn't have when I anchored. What really helped me was the song shedding skin by pantera. The main riff is a lightly pm'd 3 string fast gallopping section. Do it as slow as needed to relieve any tension since you are used to anchoring. It helped me alot.
Quote by AeolianSeventh
Maybe there are gnomes in your air conditioning vents using out-of-phase parabolic speakers to deaden vibrations from a distance.