So I have wrestled with the "right rig" for me for years. My 1st real amp was a Marshall Master Volume combo, then through a couple of more I graduated to an original Peavey 5150 (before the 5150 II crap), I have experience with many more over the years either I owned or did extensive studio work or played through some one else's on a long term basis (usually doing a medium term fill in for another band and putting the wear on their gear and not mine...those are marked with an *) Line 6 Flextone 2 & 3*, Line 6 Vetta, Laney G50, Mesa Dual Rec*, Marshall TSL 2000*, Carvin V3, Randall M100 (& RM4 Preamp), Peavey Triple XXX, 5150 III* and a few others. I always seem to come back to the 5150 (1995 script edition), the main tone is right where I like to spend most of my time tonally but its just not versatile enough, about 5 years ago I purchased a Boss GT Pro Rack pre/processor, mainly because I like Boss stuff good enough and it would connect via the 4 cable method so I could run fx in the front or in the loop & it would switch channels on my amp for me.
Since the 5150 wasn't as versatile as I need I decided to add a preamp in the mix, I went for the Randall MTS preamp and it was good, more so in theory but still good, all tube and did come close on some of the tones, but it always seemed to be missing something "organic" about it. I traded the pre for the MTS head and it helped, as a matter of fact the regular sound guy for the VERY popular cover band I played in told me on several occasions that after watching back the DVDs of the shows the other guitarist who had a rig that cost him about $10-$12k complained I was much louder than him in the mix, and he had to explain that I wasn't turned up louder, my tone just cut through more and sounded sweeter than his (ouch, can we say inner band drama?)... The tone still wasn't quite where I wanted & it still didn't flex quite enough to work for the cover band and the original band, & since I have LOVED Line 6 products for almost a decade (and I currently owned & regularly used the Vetta HD)I went with their (at the time) big daddy Pod X3 rack pre amp and coupled it with a Mesa 50/50 power amp, an MXR 10 band eq and the Boss Gt-Pro for fx. Worked for a while but still wasn't there. The Line 6 has this fullness that's very 1 dimensional that for a while I liked, it worked well in the Modern era of "hey lets master all of the dynamics out of recording and squeeze all of the frequencies we can out of every instrument so they can all sit, blend and better yet smear all over each other" mind set.
What got me searching for a new set up was the fact that my original band fired the guitarist I was letting use my 5150 and I missed it so I started using it again, but here came back the original problem...no flexibility, so in the cover band I settled into using the RM4 Randall Pre and the Boss GT Pro with the 5150 as a tube power amp (I sold the Mesa 50/50). In the mean time I got to see a semi-local guitar & studio legend play live again an met him this time, Looking at his rig I noticed he was using a 300 watt tube Mesa power amp and the Boss GT Pro, nothing else. he told me it was a bad ass pre amp if you dug into it, he said forget the factory presets and you have to do alot of messing, tweaking and doctoring to the amps using the internal OD's, Comps & EQs but it'll get ya there. 3 weeks after this conversation one of my bands was opening for Non Point and some other nationals and 2 practices before the RM 4 went out at practice. I got it working but never found the cause and didn't want to trust it at a show so remembering what my legend said I took it home and A/B'd it with my 5150... I dialed in the tone I LOVE on my 5150 then plugged the main out of the Boss to the FX return of the 5150. I tweaked for hours and after the better part of the afternoon, I called my wife who is a tone whiz, and a couple musicians and we did a "blind tone test" where I would plug into 1, play then the other while their eyes were closed too see if they could tell a difference and though they could NO ONE could tell which was the 5150 alone & which was the Boss into the 5150...
The Boss has a little more girth and solidity in the bottom and it does sound SLIGHTLY processed, the 5150 has more depth to the tone, a little more harmonic complexity and has that beautiful glassy high end bite and life that only a tube amp can provide but in a live setting, not even some of the most critical ears that I know can really tell and not even the most brutally honest of my musician circle (friends and non friends alike) have said that I shouldn't use this set up. I know that using the 5150 as a tube power amp helps as the tone is no where near the same with a solid state and the Peavey power amp has its own dirtiness and warmth but I can not tell you how blown away I am by the tone of this thing and I have been relegating it to just an FX unit for so long, I could have saved time money and probably ear drums digging into this unit like this before. I did check out the modeled amps before and they sounded weak, thin and lifeless but now with serious EQ tweeks its as close to spot on to my 5150 as anything I have ever heard that's supposed to be a 5150, that includes all versions of Line 6 5150 models, Amplitube, Randall, and its neck and neck with the Peavey Revalver software (the Boss comes closest to MY 5150's tone which I have owned this one 2x, the tone on this one is the BEST 5150 tone I've ever heard... I give the revalver props because they actually modeled the 6505 and though some say its just the 5150 w/a different name to me the real amps are a little more "honky" and thin sounding which revalver NAILS) The 5150 is damn near impossible to model from what I have been told so anyone that comes close deserves a shout.
VERY long story short is that as surprising as it is, the Boss GT-Pro is one HELL of a pre amp. Just its FX quality, controlability and routing options (per preset not just globally) make it worth every penny especially when paired up with a quality controller like my VooDoo labs Ground Control Pro. I am about to start experimenting with compressor settings to help give it more of that tube "feel" so I am excited with where this may take me..... Its worth a try to anyone shopping around, unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) they have been discounted so you may be able to pick one up at a killer deal.
add in some seperation in for paragraphs, i can't read through a wall of text. if you do so i will come back and check it out.

i am not trying to be a jerk, but its just hard to read that much text blocked in together.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Holy smokes, Batman. An indestructible wall of text!
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Ive played the GT-10, and the Pro is IIRC a rack version of the 10.
I wasnt too impressed by the modelling on the 10 Digitech/Vox/Line 6 manage it rather better IMO, especially on dynamics.

Effects and sheer flexibity however, was epic. The GT series IMO would be perfect as a standalone effects system rather than an amp modeller.

^Dont flame me, personal opinion.
Hold on I can't see your post, there's a wall in the way.

Oh wait...
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
so this is basically just a story...?
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by stm113
So I have wrestled with the "right rig" for me for years. My 1st real amp was a Marshall Master Volume combo, then through a couple of more I graduated to an original Peavey 5150 (before the 5150 II crap), I have experience with many more over the years either I owned or did extensive studio work or played through some one else's on a long term basis (usually doing a medium term fill in for another band and putting the wear on their gear and not mine...those are marked with an *) Line 6 Flextone 2 & 3*, Line 6 Vetta, Laney G50, Mesa Dual Rec*, Marshall TSL 2000*, Carvin V3, Randall M100 (& RM4 Preamp), Peavey Triple XXX, 5150 III* and a few others.

I always seem to come back to the 5150 (1995 script edition), the main tone is right where I like to spend most of my time tonally but its just not versatile enough, about 5 years ago I purchased a Boss GT Pro Rack pre/processor, mainly because I like Boss stuff good enough and it would connect via the 4 cable method so I could run fx in the front or in the loop & it would switch channels on my amp for me.
Since the 5150 wasn't as versatile as I need I decided to add a preamp in the mix, I went for the Randall MTS preamp and it was good, more so in theory but still good, all tube and did come close on some of the tones, but it always seemed to be missing something "organic" about it. I traded the pre for the MTS head and it helped, as a matter of fact the regular sound guy for the VERY popular cover band I played in told me on several occasions that after watching back the DVDs of the shows the other guitarist who had a rig that cost him about $10-$12k complained I was much louder than him in the mix, and he had to explain that I wasn't turned up louder, my tone just cut through more and sounded sweeter than his (ouch, can we say inner band drama?)...

The tone still wasn't quite where I wanted & it still didn't flex quite enough to work for the cover band and the original band, & since I have LOVED Line 6 products for almost a decade (and I currently owned & regularly used the Vetta HD)I went with their (at the time) big daddy Pod X3 rack pre amp and coupled it with a Mesa 50/50 power amp, an MXR 10 band eq and the Boss Gt-Pro for fx. Worked for a while but still wasn't there. The Line 6 has this fullness that's very 1 dimensional that for a while I liked, it worked well in the Modern era of "hey lets master all of the dynamics out of recording and squeeze all of the frequencies we can out of every instrument so they can all sit, blend and better yet smear all over each other" mind set.
What got me searching for a new set up was the fact that my original band fired the guitarist

I was letting use my 5150 and I missed it so I started using it again, but here came back the original problem...no flexibility, so in the cover band I settled into using the RM4 Randall Pre and the Boss GT Pro with the 5150 as a tube power amp (I sold the Mesa 50/50). In the mean time I got to see a semi-local guitar & studio legend play live again an met him this time, Looking at his rig I noticed he was using a 300 watt tube Mesa power amp and the Boss GT Pro, nothing else. he told me it was a bad ass pre amp if you dug into it, he said forget the factory presets and you have to do alot of messing, tweaking and doctoring to the amps using the internal OD's, Comps & EQs but it'll get ya there.

3 weeks after this conversation one of my bands was opening for Non Point and some other nationals and 2 practices before the RM 4 went out at practice. I got it working but never found the cause and didn't want to trust it at a show so remembering what my legend said I took it home and A/B'd it with my 5150... I dialed in the tone I LOVE on my 5150 then plugged the main out of the Boss to the FX return of the 5150. I tweaked for hours and after the better part of the afternoon, I called my wife who is a tone whiz, and a couple musicians and we did a "blind tone test" where I would plug into 1, play then the other while their eyes were closed too see if they could tell a difference and though they could NO ONE could tell which was the 5150 alone & which was the Boss into the 5150...
The Boss has a little more girth and solidity in the bottom and it does sound SLIGHTLY processed, the 5150 has more depth to the tone, a little more harmonic complexity and has that beautiful glassy high end bite and life that only a tube amp can provide but in a live setting, not even some of the most critical ears that I know can really tell and not even the most brutally honest of my musician circle (friends and non friends alike) have said that I shouldn't use this set up.

I know that using the 5150 as a tube power amp helps as the tone is no where near the same with a solid state and the Peavey power amp has its own dirtiness and warmth but I can not tell you how blown away I am by the tone of this thing and I have been relegating it to just an FX unit for so long, I could have saved time money and probably ear drums digging into this unit like this before. I did check out the modeled amps before and they sounded weak, thin and lifeless but now with serious EQ tweeks its as close to spot on to my 5150 as anything I have ever heard that's supposed to be a 5150, that includes all versions of Line 6 5150 models, Amplitube, Randall, and its neck and neck with the Peavey Revalver software (the Boss comes closest to MY 5150's tone which I have owned this one 2x, the tone on this one is the BEST 5150 tone I've ever heard... I give the revalver props because they actually modeled the 6505 and though some say its just the 5150 w/a different name to me the real amps are a little more "honky" and thin sounding which revalver NAILS) The 5150 is damn near impossible to model from what I have been told so anyone that comes close deserves a shout.

VERY long story short is that as surprising as it is, the Boss GT-Pro is one HELL of a pre amp. Just its FX quality, controlability and routing options (per preset not just globally) make it worth every penny especially when paired up with a quality controller like my VooDoo labs Ground Control Pro. I am about to start experimenting with compressor settings to help give it more of that tube "feel" so I am excited with where this may take me..... Its worth a try to anyone shopping around, unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) they have been discounted so you may be able to pick one up at a killer deal.

There everyone, now stop bitching and help the dude
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Thanks squierlolz, it is now clear to me he wasn't even asking for help. It's just a very convoluted Boss GT-pro review.

(thanks for the review)
WTLTL 2011
I apologize for the "wall" of text, I had thought that I had used line breaks to split up the paragraphs, but it`d only take one person to mention that, more than one is a bit much wouldn`t you say?

And yea I wasn`t asking for help I was trying to share something interesting i had leardned recently... the reason for the length of it was to try to explain my experience with tone as to show that I know what I am doing.

I thought this was a forum where guitarists could talk about gear, I didn`t know that it was a place for people to bash or make fun of the others. I do want to say thank you to the 1st person who was polite about the line breaks and the 1 or 2 others who were atleast not snooty or needlessly sarcastic. I`ll be much more careful about any other posts if I have any.
The "mocking" was for your own benefit mate, very few people are going to read a massive wall of text. Use paragraphs properly and more people will read your lengthy post.
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Jul 14, 2011,
There was a formatting error, you're right. Sort of a forum "faux pas", but not a huge deal. This is the internet, people will bash you just because they can, for no particular reason. But regardless of those who do bash, there are ten times the number of people who are willing to help. So, thanks for sharing, but usually if your posts don't have a discussion or a question posed, it gets disregarded, bashed or even closed.

So, if you could culminate that mess of characters into a question or a discussion topic, that's awesome. I think that this could be the basis for a great discussion.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I only took away one thing from that wall of text... his wife's a tone wiz.

Hot damn, by the time I finished reading that wall of text... I'd already forgotten what he was talking about to start with.

Quote by stm113
And yea I wasn`t asking for help I was trying to share something interesting i had leardned recently... the reason for the length of it was to try to explain my experience with tone as to show that I know what I am doing.

I thought this was a forum where guitarists could talk about gear, I didn`t know that it was a place for people to bash or make fun of the others. I do want to say thank you to the 1st person who was polite about the line breaks and the 1 or 2 others who were atleast not snooty or needlessly sarcastic. I`ll be much more careful about any other posts if I have any.

Sharing of experience aside, the whole thing reads like a blow by blow account of a sound set-up / check before a gig. Setting context is absolutely necessary, but your writing drones on and on, and its really hard to follow.

Also, while you've mentioned your experience, you've not told us how to achieve that tube tone out of what is a piece of gear that is not known for good amp models. If you can do that on a GT... I can't imagine what you'd do to a Pod HD.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jul 14, 2011,
Ok so really long story short, I have had many different set ups for many reasons and tons of studio & stage experience, I know what I'm doing an I have a good ear. Due to a recent equipment failure and recommendation from a respected tone guru I tried my Boss GT-Pro on as not just a fx unit but as a pre amp as well and after MUCH tweaking I was very surprised at the results. The tone is almost spot on to my Peavey 5150.

Its better than my Line6 stuff and closer to the 5150 than pretty much every other modelers 5150 type model. Just thought I would share incase anyone was looking to try something new...