Page 1 of 6
Noob question (or not), but holy shit these things cost a fortune! Okay, maybe not a fortune, but still they cost a big wad of cash...

Are they really worth the price? Or are you really just shelling out money for the Gibson name?
They cost a fortune because people consistently pay a fortune.

/thread
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
So it is as I figured. Kinda funny. But I guess it's easy to sell for ludicrous prices if everyone knows the name!
Searchbar anyone?
Theres like 10 threads a week about this.

If you dont think theyre worth it dont buy one.
If I had 5k to spend on a guitar I'd gladly buy a real LP.
If I had 15k I'd gladly buy a Prs Private Stock.
The guitars IMO are worth every penny. (nvr played a PS but im sure they are)
LPs are beasts of tone with their 10 freakin pound block of wood, add in a great luthier and some nice pups and youve got a great recording guitar.
More seriously than my last post, I spent about $900 on a Les Paul with P90s and it was worth every penny. It sounds and feels better than anything else I tried, and it's gorgeous to boot. It was not, however, worth $3000, and if it had been priced as such, I wouldn't have bought it.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
A lot of times, if your blowing 5k on any guitar, its going to be phenomenal. This includes Gibsons. Yea, they have a prestigious name, but thats because for years theyve made instruments that are superior and sound great. Now, some of the new USA gibsons may not be worth 2 grand, but theres also plenty of gems
Quote by DimebagZappa
yea but its a studio. What a waste.

Studios are pretty decent foundation. Of course they have to cut corners somewhere to make a cheaper priced guitar. There aren't really many options for a US made guitar in that price range, besides a strat.
ok, the Gibson les paul custom is hands down the best guitar Ive ever olayed. yea 4000$ is alot for one, Its a combination of high quality and the gibson name.
are they that expensive?

seems alright to me.

seems like plenty of people can afford to buy one. they keep making them.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Buy a copy or save up your pennies for the next 10 years
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by AcousticMirror
are they that expensive?

seems alright to me.

seems like plenty of people can afford to buy one. they keep making them.

well in a store they are 3850 before taxes, 4300$ after taxes.

I have no problem spending 3000-3500 for one, but when they are brand newi store at 3850, its a lttle much IMO but not as bad as other gibsons can be/are
Gibson's are expensive. whether they are overpriced is really up to the customer alone.

the are expensive because:
- they feature high end materials
- they feature high end component (including little things you don't see like pots and switches)
- they are assembled and manufactured by skilled laborers, who cost significantly more than a 12 year old in China
- they are made in the USA. American labour tends to be extremely expensive.
- name

so its not really one thing so much as the cumulative effect of a great number of contributing factors. again though, they are expensive, but it is really up to the consumer to decide whether they are too expensive or not (I personally quite like Gibsons, and I would certainly have bought one if I hadn't tried a Mesa Boogie amp...)
well because theyre well made, sound good, and people are willing to pay that much for them.

ive played guitars that are over 1000 that i liked less than my squier(as far as playability).

imo guitars shouldnt be more than 1000 dollars....i dont think a 5000dollar gibson or watever is going to play much better than a well made 500dollar guitar...

and as far as sound, some people swear by "good wood" and one piece bodies, but in my opinion 90% of how an ELECTRIC guitar sounds depends on whats inside....u can buy good pots, capacitors, pups, and wiring for a couple hundred.
I went to a guitar store yesterday and was talking to a sales assistant with my step dad. The sales dude showed my step dad an Epiphone G400 and a Gibson Angus Young Signature. The Epiphone was I think $600 and the Gibson was $4.5k. The finish on the epi was just as good, if not better than the Gibson. He actually said that he himself cannot justify spending that much money on a guitar.
Quote by nathan:-)
I went to a guitar store yesterday and was talking to a sales assistant with my step dad. The sales dude showed my step dad an Epiphone G400 and a Gibson Angus Young Signature. The Epiphone was I think $600 and the Gibson was $4.5k. The finish on the epi was just as good, if not better than the Gibson. He actually said that he himself cannot justify spending that much money on a guitar.

He was probably talking up the Epiphone so you would buy it, and an Epi with a better finish than a Gibson is an exception, not a rule. A very rare exception as well. I (once again) work in a guitar show and look at a wall of Gibsons and Epiphones every day.. and I've played most of them. If Gibsons are as crappy as this thread is making them sound, the store I work at has all of the best Gibsons ever made, apparently.

Gibsons are expensive because they're made in the US with premium parts and woods. You get what you pay for. There are cheaper Gibsons and there are ridiculously expensive Gibsons - the parts, build quality, wood and sound prove this. Just like every other company ever, you're going to find some that play better than others.

EDIT: Also, they smell like candy. If you haven't smelled a Gibson just out of the case from the factory, do so immediately. You'll get hungry.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Last edited by 3074326 at Jul 14, 2011,
There is a lot of Gibson hate on this forum, just like anything else that's exceedingly popular(Schecter maybe?)

I do think they can be overrated, but you really are paying for the name somewhere in that high pricetag, and if Gibson hasn't lowered their prices, then I guess their name sells.
Quote by Seanthesheep
well in a store they are 3850 before taxes, 4300$ after taxes.

I have no problem spending 3000-3500 for one, but when they are brand newi store at 3850, its a lttle much IMO but not as bad as other gibsons can be/are

the historics are easily just as good as many of the boutiques.

my most expensive was totally worth it.

it really is just a question of if you can get similar for cheaper...sometimes you just can't.
I thought it was because each one is made with love and sunshine.

Sunshine is not overrated.

[It's the name as well as the fact that it's not "factory" built. As well as better materials and wiring]
the price is a joke these days, i bought a gibson l/p standard in june 2008 (not the 2008 model) and it was £1275, within a few months all the standards and traditionals had jumped up to around £1750, i could understand the price going up by say £50 but not £500, the trad is more or less the same as the standard i bought
because it takes lots of work and effort to put the word 'gibson' in the headstock
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by 3074326
He was probably talking up the Epiphone so you would buy it, and an Epi with a better finish than a Gibson is an exception, not a rule. A very rare exception as well. I (once again) work in a guitar show and look at a wall of Gibsons and Epiphones every day.. and I've played most of them. If Gibsons are as crappy as this thread is making them sound, the store I work at has all of the best Gibsons ever made, apparently.

Gibsons are expensive because they're made in the US with premium parts and woods. You get what you pay for. There are cheaper Gibsons and there are ridiculously expensive Gibsons - the parts, build quality, wood and sound prove this. Just like every other company ever, you're going to find some that play better than others.

EDIT: Also, they smell like candy. If you haven't smelled a Gibson just out of the case from the factory, do so immediately. You'll get hungry.

everything in this post absolutely true. especially the last bit

i think it's really all relative to how much you're willing to pay for a guitar and what kind of guitar you'd really want to pay that much for. it's your money and its your choice.

with regards to the "you pay for the name" brigade: i think that the reason why the manufacturer prices their products the way they do and the reason why the customer pays that much for it don't have to be the same thing. sure, the name probably does contribute a bit towards the retail price, but taking what i said above into consideration, that doesn't stop them from being worth the money to people who aren't bothered about the brand name and just really want that particular guitar. i think you choose your own reasons for handing over the money, and that's what counts. so when you say "you pay for the name" is that the only reason you guys would buy any guitar? superficial nonsense like that?
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I'm willing to bet there isn't 1K's worth of quality difference between a Eclipse and a LP Custom
Quote by s31770
I'm willing to bet there isn't 1K's worth of quality difference between a Eclipse and a LP Custom

Debatable but they're not trying to be the same instrument anyway, there's a world of difference between what ESP and Gibson try to do with their products.

To answer the original question: they are worth exactly what people are willing to pay for them. If people weren't buying them at that price then they wouldn't be being sold at that price. Law of economics people: price things at the exact point people are willing to pay.

That being said, if I had that kind of money to blow on a guitar... I'd just go fully custom from a small, local luthier and get exactly what I want with none of the bullshit
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Jul 14, 2011,
The Epiphone was I think $600 and the Gibson was $4.5k. He actually said that he himself cannot justify spending that much money on a guitar.

yea, who'd spend $600 on a epi.
Quote by DimebagZappa
yea but its a studio. What a waste.

lawl. my goldtop would like a word with you.
The Epiphone was I think $600 and the Gibson was $4.5k. The finish on the epi was just as good, if not better than the Gibson.

orly. i mean epi's are good, but do you know what you are looking at when you look at the two guitars? o.0
Quote by beckyjc

Beautifull guitar.

$800 too. Except that somehow translated to £800 in the UK.

you know you can paypal me, i can ship it to you honey.

the bottom line is
what they are made out of.
how they are made.
by whom.
and where.

they may look the same, but they aren't.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I understand American labor is expensive. But after that I have to say I really don't think anything you guys said justify's the price except a famous name as well. Quality electronics, ok for $20 I could have 4 pots a switch and caps and a nice 1/4" jack, (I don't really believe in the major quality difference in parts except age and use but ignore that). Pickups, ok maybe they have nice pickups but again you can buy those from gibson or a number of reputable dealers and even boutique dealers for under $200 for cream of the crop stuff. that leaves the body, guys they are chambered now, that means (in my mind) they could/would use lower quality wood, and cut out the undesirable parts. Which even if it was really just the best wood and care the quality can't differ much when working with robotic routing machines, (maybe other companies would pass along inferior jobs, but they probably have an equal chance of getting it right). $4300, is just wayyy to high, they are nice, but to what end, the reason their renowned is because they are a timeless name, which means they don't change much, which means if anything their process of making the guitars is no doubt easier and easier.

I've been to the Gibson factory it's nice and they do good work, it's a slow assembly line with room for custom jobs, and they love their name. To me nothing anyone names here justifies the price but the name and then American Labor prices. you cannot convince me that there is any one part or process that takes those guitars to the $4,300 and makes that cost appropriate. People keep buying them though, so they price stays, that's justification for them, but in terms of the guitar itself I have a hard time thinking that comes into play after say $1,000
Quote by coolstoryangus

yes.
my friend has a lp studio (cherry) and although it does look stunning, i spent the exact amount of money on an ibanez rg1550. the ibanez blows the lp out of the water on both sound and feel.

so i really feel that a portion of it is just name :/
Quote by askrere
I understand American labor is expensive. But after that I have to say I really don't think anything you guys said justify's the price except a famous name as well. Quality electronics, ok for $20 I could have 4 pots a switch and caps and a nice 1/4" jack, (I don't really believe in the major quality difference in parts except age and use but ignore that). Pickups, ok maybe they have nice pickups but again you can buy those from gibson or a number of reputable dealers and even boutique dealers for under $200 for cream of the crop stuff. that leaves the body, guys they are chambered now, that means (in my mind) they could/would use lower quality wood, and cut out the undesirable parts. Which even if it was really just the best wood and care the quality can't differ much when working with robotic routing machines, (maybe other companies would pass along inferior jobs, but they probably have an equal chance of getting it right). $4300, is just wayyy to high, they are nice, but to what end, the reason their renowned is because they are a timeless name, which means they don't change much, which means if anything their process of making the guitars is no doubt easier and easier.

I've been to the Gibson factory it's nice and they do good work, it's a slow assembly line with room for custom jobs, and they love their name. To me nothing anyone names here justifies the price but the name and then American Labor prices. you cannot convince me that there is any one part or process that takes those guitars to the $4,300 and makes that cost appropriate. People keep buying them though, so they price stays, that's justification for them, but in terms of the guitar itself I have a hard time thinking that comes into play after say $1,000

show me another 8 pound solid mahogony maple capped guitar.
my custom 24 is 8.0 on the money.

cost me $1000.

what's the point again?
Quote by askrere

Not all Gibsons are chambered now. 57 Classics are about $150-160 per pickup. The quality of the finish has a big impact on price.

You have a lot of speculation in this post that isn't true. If you've actually taken a tour of a Gibson factory, you should know that.

To be fair, I wouldn't pay $4300 for any guitar. That includes Paul Reed Smith, etc. I think at a certain point the cost isn't worth the subtle differences in tone compared to a $2000 guitar, for example. Luckily, Gibson makes guitars at reasonable prices as well. The hate on this site is insane. Not every Gibson is over $4k. One of the best guitars I've ever played or heard if a Les Paul Traditional with 57 Classics and a Bigsby. It sustains for years and has the thickets, clearest tone I've ever heard. My main guitar is an Ibanez too, I'm no Gibson homer.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Last edited by 3074326 at Jul 14, 2011,
My local store's Gibson prices have came down a bit recently. But they are a great company and yeah you pay for the name a bit. But that's because of there reputation. You pay for the name cos they make great guitars.
Quote by s31770

to me there is lol. Id never pay more than 1000$ for a metal oriented guitar, even though I only play in a metal band. the eclipse is nice yea, but the LPC is an entirely different level. seriously. play some when you get the chance.