I've grown up with Frank's music considering my father is the biggest Zappa fan I've ever seen. I can't complain; he lets me have access to the 100 (give or take) CDs & DVDs To get to the point, I've always been fascinated by his playing for obvious reasons. His playing doesn't seem to fit any particular scale as far as soloing goes. Can someone analyze his playing and sum it up? Speed is an obvious factor in his playing.
don't practice...he never did. play major and minor pentatonics and play lydian. go spastic.
I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes HEY!
Last edited by ItsThatDude at Jul 14, 2011,
The 'stache.
Some people use quotations,
Some people are just perverse,
Some people have ironic machinations,
But I'll just break into verse!
^learn a lot of music theory
I'm not a James Hetfield fan
My username is "hames jetfield" because "farty mriedman" sounds weird.

Quote by laid-to-waste
i have rabies from licking my pet rat's face

Jackson DK2M
Digitech RP255
Vox DA5
Casio CTK-6000
another thing, does anyone know what effects he used to get that almost "fretless" tone. i.e peaches n' regalia
A big part of Zappa's solos like (I think) Watermelon in Easter Hay and Chunga's Revenge is related to the backing. In, say, Chunga's Revenge, the band almost exclusively vamps an A chord, occasionally going to the D. Over this, Zappa does a lot of his distortion drenched, wacky licks, but he also does a lot of sustaining 13ths and 7ths over the chords, which is interesting.

I'm kinda taken aback by this because I've never known anyone to be all that interested in Zappa's playing . In The Real Frank Zappa Book he says himself he was a terrible guitarist, and in any night would maybe play 1 solo that was worth hearing again. He actually said of himself that he wasn't good enough to play in his own band.

Quote by ItsThatDude
don't practice...he never did. play major and minor pentatonics and play lydian. go spastic.

Also, this.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
His guitar playing is just so interesting. Note that i am only 16 and have no one to discuss this in person because kids my age don't even know about him. But I usually see "Hendrix play techniques" or "Clapton playing techniques" on Youtube, but i have yet to come across a Zappa video.

A big part of Zappa's solos like (I think) Watermelon in Easter Hay and Chunga's Revenge is related to the backing. In, say, Chunga's Revenge, the band almost exclusively vamps an A chord, occasionally going to the D. Over this, Zappa does a lot of his distortion drenched, wacky licks, but he also does a lot of sustaining 13ths and 7ths over the chords, which is interesting.

I really see what you're saying in Watermelon in Easter Hay. However, in Black Napkins, his playing seems to have a jazz influence, then in the same solo, just switches to more rock influenced,then blues. Would this have anything to do with combining scales and using different phrasings?
Quote by ItsThatDude

Zappa was a compositional monster dude. He wrote the sheet music to every instrument in that band.