My current setup is a Fender USA strat through about 10 or so different effects pedals into a Marshall 1959SLP 100watt plexi head... the main effects I use are Boss DS-1 with distortion at minimum for a slightly overdriven sound (like the Plexi cranked), EH Big Muff Pi for big distortion sound for solos, Boss DS-2 Turbo Dist for main distortion, and an Ibanez WH-10 V2 wah...

I use the Big Muff for solos mainly because it's easy to adjust the volume with your foot during a solo, but I actually prefer the DS-2 turbo distortions tone and sound for solos as it cuts through better, but I also prefer to use that for main distortion as well... being in a band with another guitarist I can't really use the one pedal for both so I figured I should try getting a Booster pedal for solos?

What's a really good booster pedal for this kind of setup?
wow

what the hell are you doing with a DS1, DS-2 AND a Big Muff?

what amp does your guitarist use?
what pedals/boosters is he/she using?
maybe you two should just work together better instead of you fighting to be heard.

as far as a recommendation I recommend a Bad Monkey OD. Cheap. Effective. Pretty clean as a boost (Drive 0/Level 10). Has separate bass and treble control.
Or an MXR 10 band EQ. Even more control and a separate level control so once you set the EQ curve you don't have to disturb it again.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Or an MXR 10 band EQ. Even more control and a separate level control so once you set the EQ curve you don't have to disturb it again.

+1 on this idea. i'm also curious about your other guitarists set up and why you seem to be having issues being heard. are you using all single coil pups or an HSS set up on your strat?
coolstoryangus: It's a 100watt Marshall plexi... if I turned that up enough to get sufficient gain it'd blow the garage up!
lbj273: I'll admit I did go through a RHCP obsession phase but I got over that. My rig in terms of pedals does bare similarities to Froosh (Ibanez wh-10 and boss ds-1 and 2, Big muff is USA not russian though) but that's mainly because I dig the sound that he gets with them... he's a pedal afficionado, and he gets the sounds that I always wanted to get, so I bought a couple of his pedals I also got the Marshall plexi mainly because it was the best tube amp I could find for such a ridiculously low price, it would have been stupid not to get it. Plus I love Hendrix

I use the DS-2 for high gain solos and it's great for feedback overtones etc (which I love doing) and the Big Muff I used for solos also because I could turn the vol up heaps for a boost, but like I said I prefer the DS-2 for solos so hence I wanted to invest in a booster. I might cut out the Big Muff though, because it doesn't really work in my band situation at the moment, and the DS-2 does the same job. The DS-1 I use to add dirt to clean, I have the gain turned down to 0.

As for the other guitarist, he uses a Les Paul clone into a tube screamer and delay and tuner, into a Fender "evil" twin (100watt). Somehow, his amp cuts through better than mine... I think everyone just tells me to turn my amp down because "it's a Marshall and so is never quiet enough" which is bullshit because it's 100watts just like every other 100watt tube amp. Damn that image!
haha no, you had a point... and have you ever tried to talk between guitarists in a rock band with big amps? If anything it makes the problem worse hahah Plus having a Marshall, people use the curvy badge against you like I said before, accusing it of automatically being louder than any other amp of the same power. I don't use it turned up for gain, only low for clean.

I did consider getting another tube amp more for ease of transportation to and from gigs, like a Fender twin or some combo amp... but I really don't have the money and I love the plexi too much. I upgraded to the plexi from a Fender Frontman 212r, which is quite a significant jump... considering Fender FMs generally don't work over volume 3.
Egnater Renegade. $999 for the head new. End of Story.

but yeah I know what you mean. I used to have a FM212 and then a Valveking and then a Splawn (modded plexi tones)

Seriously. What kind of music do you guys play mostly?
We used to be a funk/rock outfit and dabbled in alternative indie/rock shit... but now we do more of the indie/rock borderline pop stuff (not my forte, but I aint the songwriter ). The other stuff I prefer doing is more based around stuff like Hendrix, Black Keys, Parliament-Funkadelic, and Ash Grunwald... with the number of distortion pedals I use I only really need a good clean amp, I never use amp distortion (which probably defeats the purpose of having a plexi, but I just can't ever crank it loud enough in a practical situation)
Yeah, and the Renegade can go down to 18w and the best part is you can run 6L6 and EL34s in all kinds of combinations or even different power tubes with no mods. Awesome reverb. Great footswitch. I really like it.

Edit. Double posting is a no no
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 14, 2011,
That is handy... I'll see if any Aus stores stock them, the only one I found on eBay was well over a grand. Would be great to test drive one!
I don't bother with edits if I'm simply adding a sentence... I got the message across, right?
if i was in Aus and could find one i'd do it knowing I could resell it easily.

but yeah, you gotta good deal on your plexis. there are decent line boosting clean pedals as mentioned if you end up keeping

i don't personally care about the double posting...just watchin' out for ya
I had a quick look at my regular guitar store's website and doesn't look like they stock them... but I'll call round and see if anywhere else deals with em. Thanks for the suggestion!

What are your thoughts on MI Audio Boost n Buff pedals? Or things like the Keeley Katana? They seem to be the only boost pedals I can find for decent prices on eBay... (yes, I'm an eBay junkie )
Not your guy on those two pedals.

I was thinking about something like this:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Electro-Harmonix-Nano-LPB-1-Power-Booster-Guitar-Effects-Pedal-104141072-i1171529.gc

or this:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/DigiTech-DBM-Bad-Monkey-Overdrive-Guitar-Effects-Pedal-102670239-i1124375.gc

so yeah

and this seems to be the only dealer down under

Australia

CMC Music Pty Ltd
30 Roger Street
Brookvale, NSW, 2100
Phone: (02) 9905 2511
Fax: (02) 9905 0189
Email: cmcmusic@cmcmusic.com.au
Web: http://www.cmcmusic.com.au/

otherwise, pay all the duties/VAT/shipping and I'll get it for you and you know.....test it to make sure it works and ship it to you
Oh nice I just checked out that CMC music website and their list of Egnater dealers in South Australia includes Derringers, which is the shop I usually go to. I'll have to see if they have any in. If I had the money to pay for shipping etc I'm sure I would haha

As for the boosters... I'm not overly keen on Digitech products (apart from their whammys of course), but the EH Power booster looks interesting... it's pretty cheap though?
What you need is an attenuator, so you can make use of that plexi tone. It's a shame to use such a nice amp and just run pedals through it to play something that you could easily get with what it was designed to do, which is be cranked really hard.
311ZOSOVHJH: I might just bite the bullet and buy one haha if it's not too flash I can always resell it... I used to dabble with volume pedals, like the Ernie Ball ones and a shitty PROEL that I got from a guitar pawn shop, but I found them to be pretty useless . The EH LPB is cheap enough to buy and try... I managed to sell my Ernie Ball volume pedal for the same price I bought it for new after only using it a couple of times good old ebay.

ethan_hanus: Yeah I'd love to get one for the plexi but they seem to be pretty hard to find? And really pricey... Plus don't you have to plug them into the effects loop? My plexi model is from the early 90's so unfortunately doesn't have the effects loop like the newer ones do.
Quote by loop-de-luke
lbj273: I'll admit I did go through a RHCP obsession phase but I got over that. My rig in terms of pedals does bare similarities to Froosh (Ibanez wh-10 and boss ds-1 and 2, Big muff is USA not russian though) but that's mainly because I dig the sound that he gets with them... he's a pedal afficionado, and he gets the sounds that I always wanted to get, so I bought a couple of his pedals I also got the Marshall plexi mainly because it was the best tube amp I could find for such a ridiculously low price, it would have been stupid not to get it. Plus I love Hendrix

I feel ya dude, I'm a Froosh fan boi and I'm not ashamed to admit it
Quote by loop-de-luke
311ZOSOVHJH: I might just bite the bullet and buy one haha if it's not too flash I can always resell it... I used to dabble with volume pedals, like the Ernie Ball ones and a shitty PROEL that I got from a guitar pawn shop, but I found them to be pretty useless . The EH LPB is cheap enough to buy and try... I managed to sell my Ernie Ball volume pedal for the same price I bought it for new after only using it a couple of times good old ebay.

ethan_hanus: Yeah I'd love to get one for the plexi but they seem to be pretty hard to find? And really pricey... Plus don't you have to plug them into the effects loop? My plexi model is from the early 90's so unfortunately doesn't have the effects loop like the newer ones do.

No, an attenuator goes between your amp and your speaker cab, and it burns off the excess wattage without changing the tone, so you can crank the amp, without blowing up your garage.

They are pricy, but well worth it, if you have a Marshall Plexi, I'm sure you have enough money for fork over for a $500 attenuator if tone is what you're looking for.
lbj273: I like this guy! It takes balls man, balls to admit to being a Froosh fanatic!

ethan_hanus: Oh good! Yeah I never looked into them much so I didn't really know how they worked... that's good news though! And I'm a student thesedays, so the money for the Plexi in the first place was my last bit of hard-earned savings before I became a full-time student again I got it for a once in a lifetime bargain too, at $1250 AUD was pretty chuffed! Are they really up around $500 beans?
I used to have an Ernie Ball volume pedal that I ran in the loop of the Splawn - sold it
I used to have a Volume (tone suck) box in the loop - sold it
real attenuators that give you a dummy load are a different deal.
you have to get a good one $500+ in order to ensure no tone suckage (I hear)
I'd get a new amp
ktnxbai goodluck
Will look into the Weber MASS units... this is the only attenuator I can find on eBay: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VOLUME-BOX-GUITAR-AMPLIFIER-ATTENUATOR-MARSHALL-AMP-/200621054607?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb5f25a8f and that plugs into the effects loop and is only like 20 bucks...
When I can afford it I might look into a new amp hah.
Thanks for the help!

EDIT: Nevermind, I found the Weber MASS units on there too... up around the $200+ mark. Will look into them! Thanks heaps!
Last edited by loop-de-luke at Jul 15, 2011,