hey all,

so I'm a bit behind technology wise and am still using pen and paper to write out the songs I come up with. However, since I am not the tidiest of people and I usually end up making notes on random bits of paper, which I then lose - I was thinking maybe it would be worth spending the money on something like guitar pro.

However, I have only used it on my ipad for downloading tabs, so I guess I was wondering if anyone has any experience with it and if there is any alternatives that might be worth considering as well?
i have guitar pro 5 on my mac and i think its brilliant its helped me learn lots of songs because i just find it easier to actually play along to the song and listen to bits i cant quite get perfect
If you're primarily writing for guitar then it's probably most suited to your needs. If you write for instruments outside of guitar/bass/drums, then it might be worth considering Sibelius (or Finale).
i've got both finale 2009 and guitar pro5 on my computer. i have to agree fully with Jesse Clarkson
When I started guitar Guitar Pro really helped me, even now it does. Taught me everything from scales to time signatures etc. :P
and to answer your question.....

Yea, Guitar Pro is definitely worth it. <<< Guitar Pro 5 that is. DO NOT GET GUITAR PRO 6!!!

Hope This Helped
Guitar pro 5 is hands down the best program when writing any kind of music based on guitars, bass and drums. What's great is that you can add tons of other instruments as well, and you can write the parts on a tab instead of a score if you can't read or write that (like I). Buy guitar pro 5 and not 6 btw, I bought that and have regretted it ever since.
What's wrong with GP6?
Guitars:
Duesenberg Starplayer TV
Fender Jaguar
Indie PRS Copy
Faith Saturn E/Acoustic
Simon & Patrick SP12
Fender Jazz Bass
Nothing wrong with GP6.

You'll hear negative comments from GP5 owners. It's just resistance to change. GP6 was the first one I bought and am very pleased with it. There's a learning curve where new software annoys you but once over that, it's fine.
Quote by Jehannum
Nothing wrong with GP6.

You'll hear negative comments from GP5 owners. It's just resistance to change. GP6 was the first one I bought and am very pleased with it. There's a learning curve where new software annoys you but once over that, it's fine.

-It is way more difficult to map drums in GP6, it's slow and unintuitive unlike GP5, where you easily could "spam" out the numbers for the right drum.

-You cannot change instrument mid-track, you'd have to create another track if you wanna change to another instrument

-You could only tab out piano in standard notation, which for me was impossible since I don't know standard notation, but still wanted to use piano. You could write the piano part on a guitar track, and then copy and paste it over, but that's so unnecessarily time consuming.

-The interface was way more confusing, but that you could get used to ofc, but it was harder to comprehend

These are just the ones I could come up with right now, it has been a while since I used it. It is truly a worse edition, the only plus IMO is the new RSE, which I never use in either edition.

EDIT:

-Oh, and you couldn't have different dynamics on each notes in a chord in GP6
Last edited by intothe at Jul 14, 2011,
I mostly write songs for guitar, so it sounds like Guitar Pro would be a good choice.

Thanks to everyone for the advice, I really appreciate it.

With regards to versions, how would I even get a copy of GP5 now? seems like you can only get gp 6, which i suppose makes sense since it is the newest version. is gp 6 really so bad?
Quote by luciat
I mostly write songs for guitar, so it sounds like Guitar Pro would be a good choice.

Thanks to everyone for the advice, I really appreciate it.

With regards to versions, how would I even get a copy of GP5 now? seems like you can only get gp 6, which i suppose makes sense since it is the newest version. is gp 6 really so bad?

I'm sure you can get it from a lot of places, I bought a physical copy from a local music store's website, they usually have some stocked up, I'm guessing amazon does as well.

It's your choice of course, but to me GP6 removed so many features which made GP5 awesome and convenient to use, while not adding enough new features to make it worthwhile. As an owner of both versions, I'd recommend GP5.
Last edited by intothe at Jul 14, 2011,
Quote by intothe
-It is way more difficult to map drums in GP6, it's slow and unintuitive unlike GP5, where you easily could "spam" out the numbers for the right drum.

This being the main problem I could do a simple drum beat over 4 bars in under 30 seconds in GP5, could take around a minute to do one bar in GP6
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!