Page 1 of 2
Right then,
My rig as of now consists of my custom guitar "Whiskers" (please look up the specs on my blog) going into my pedal board:

I use the Boss chorus's Output B to split my signal from the Peavey Bandit 112 into my Vox AC4TV, the amps are setup clean and all the dirt is coming from the Pedal Board.
The second board is only holding an EHX Iron Lung vocoder.
My latest plan is to buy an MXR phase 90 (script hopefully), MXR 10 band eq (to replace the current eq which uses a different adaptor to the rest of the board) along with a second DC brick.
I was thinking of Getting a Tiny Terror and some sort of loud clean fender amp, maybe a twin reverb (im not good with fender amps at all, so someone pls educate me).
The idea behind the two new amps being that I could AB between the Peavey/Vox and The Fender/Orange.
Maybe get the planet waves pedal board cable kit?
Any Ideas?
Did I miss anything?
First answer this, do you really want to worry about A/B'ing? I know it sounds like an awesome idea, (and it usually is) but if you're moving around, gigging, recording, jamming, it can become a hassle.

Having two amps is one thing, but why not focus your budget on one good amp as opposed to two mediocre ones?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Do you gig? If so, a A/B setup isnt conveniant really like the guy above mentioned. If you're at home go for it though. A/B/Ying is awesome, nothing sounds as big as 2 amps.

The DC brick is way overpriced, its a daisy chain in a box. Daisy chaining is fine as long as you have a well made power supply, with double the handling current, it should be noise free.

I have this one.

http://www.johnnyshredfreak.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=12

3A, 9v dc. Same adapter as the Diago one that costs £50, just under a different brand.

Look into the new minimat matamps that just got released, theyre a bit more expensive than the tiny terror, but totally handmade in the UK. (If you dont live in the UK then theres not much hope...)

http://www.matamp.co.uk/

The mini rock will kill the tiny terror.

You might be able to find a silverface fender champ for cheap.
An AB setup is for people that have two good amps. It's not a way to make two crappy amps tolerable. You're far better off with one good amp than two crappy ones.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quick response!!!
Anyway I dont gig much and if I do I can carry whatever I need to.
Honestly no hard feeling or anything, Do most people conisder the Bandit a mediocre amp,
I got it for free from a friend who doesnt play, but I always thought it was quiet a high end amp. Anyway As far as my pedal board goes could anyone help me out?
here is a well updated picture as well as info on the board pls check out this blog post: http://zubinsgearpage.blogspot.com/2011/06/june-2011-pedal-board.html

Power Supplies,New Pedals,Rack gear and cables?
I think the bandits okay, ive really liked a few solid state peaveys ive played.

Not for the distortion mind you.

I put my vc30 and my shit yamaha 10 watter in stereo once. Sounded pretty good. And the bandit is a way better amp.

Your pedal choices are fine. Maybe look at the nano stone instead of the phase 90, sounds lusher IMO.

Nothing wrong with the 10 band, personally im pretty tempted by this though.

Though you should have an FX loop for an EQ really, especially rack ones. Not the end of the world though.

I like your blog, i'll add it to the links on my site if you care to do the same for my blog?

As for cables, i made my own. Theyre not the most reliable though. You can get pancake jacks for 50p then just cut up some old cables.
Alright guys so far so good a couple of more things:
For this year im pretty sure im sticking to the amps im already running.
What are your opinions on what to move to my effects loop.
Also do you people think I should invest in any rack gear?
Also Does anyone have any advice on volume pedals, should i place at the end of the chain or in the loop?
Good Volume Pedals?

Mr. Beckyjc id be honored to stick a link of your site on my blog, Would you PM for details about that pls.
Quote by beckyjc
I think the bandits okay.
I used to play with a guy with a Bandit. Never again. I bought a JCM900 just so I'd never have to play with anybody with a Bandit or Valvestate ever again. If somebody turns up with either of those, even for a jam, I make them play my Marshall or gtfo.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I used to play with a guy with a Bandit. Never again. I bought a JCM900 just so I'd never have to play with anybody with a Bandit or Valvestate ever again. If somebody turns up with either of those, even for a jam, I make them play my Marshall or gtfo.

On a side note, quad amping will make you wanna commit suicide.

If you really want to do that, I say sell your whole setup, save up for two better amps/a high end DSP like an Axe Fx or two DSP's in MIDI. Ie an HD Pro (once its out) and an Eleven Rack with a Voodoo GCP should manage all you want.
Quote by Cathbard

That was quite Harsh,
regardless I didnt think the Bandit was THAT bad for example I can honestly tell you that when I played a Studio's JCM2000 (I think it was a 2000, it had 4 channels for sure)
It sounded like crap compared to my Rig at home.
Maybe we are talking about different Era Bandits, I know for a fact that mine is one of the original ones (Red Stripe)

fficial%26biw%3D1272%26bih%3D612%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=1536&page=1&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0&tx=138&ty=29">fficial%26biw%3D1272%26bih%3D612%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=1536&page=1&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0&tx=138&ty=29">http://www.google.co.in/imgres?imgurl=http://i.loot.net/ImageManager.ImageRequestHandler/990814768.jpg%3Ft%3Dtr/w:320/h:213/m:FitPad&imgrefurl=http://www.loot.com/advert/peavey-bandit-112-red-stripe-guitar-amp-for-sale-very/5424533&usg=__6_4HcuiWwWEDaOMonPJMM4Gbtg0=&h=213&w=320&sz=9&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=l-_J3Shr9MmDkM:&tbnh=130&tbnw=195&ei=LBMfTuGkMoHkrAfrmryrAg&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dpeavey%2Bbandit%2B112%2Bred%2Bstripe%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-USfficial%26biw%3D1272%26bih%3D612%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=1536&page=1&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0&tx=138&ty=29

Anyway more suggestions pls?
The band I was in when the guy had a Bandit was in 1983.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
It is true.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
The band I was in when the guy had a Bandit was in 1983.

Wow that's pretty cool I'm assuming it was the red stripe model.
There's a site that goes through the life of the bandit, ill have to find it sometime.
Anyway Can we change topic back to the board and the volume pedals and such which I talked about a few posts ago?
Not trying to be rude to anyone just trying to find my answers.

-Thanks
Everyone knows marshall jcm900s directly cause the death of 900 kids in 3rd world countries every day.

D=

The bandits cleans are fine for practice, it aint no peavey stereo chorus though.

MISS beckyjc
Ill drop you a PM later.

And if this guy sold all his stuff hed be like 1/10th of the way towards Axe fx a good power amp and cab.

Id rather buy a peavey bandit.

Lawl

Edit: I did an article on my site about the FX loop.

Volume pedals are just a pot in a box. I got a dunlop high gain volume pedal for £40.

Although the newer Jim Dunlop DVP1s look all fancy and chrome and I really want one.
Last edited by beckyjc at Jul 14, 2011,
Sry about that Becky It was only when I was PMing you I realized that it was Becky and not some wierd made up word.
Anyway Id just like to tell everyone that when im taking about the bandit Im only using the clean channel anyway and I personally love it. My rig will probably change some time in the future but for now The combination of the vox tube amp and the nice presence of the solid state Peavey seem to work since ALL the distortion is comign from my board.

Anyway any opinions on the actual board instead of the Bandit?

I read the article after posting sry bout that.
Anyway With volume pedals I heard that ernie ball's volume pedals pan in stereo as well as just working as a volume pedal?
Last edited by zubin.isaac at Jul 14, 2011,
Quote by beckyjc
Everyone knows marshall jcm900s directly cause the death of 900 kids in 3rd world countries every day.
Maybe so but it's still a million times better than a Bandit. I'm not a fan of JCM900's either (except for punk) but I got it insanely cheap off a junky and modded it.
The thing I found with Bandits was that they sound fine for about an hour and after that I just wanted to throw it from the van as we drove down the highway.

What I am getting at, TS, is instead of trying to get a passable sound by AB'ing two mediocre or cruddy amps you should be looking towards getting a good amp that will do everything you want in one package.
Save your pennies and then do one of these:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
You say you get all your dirt from pedals; I only saw a Blue Box and one of the Boss distortions on there...is that all?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
SORRY big mistake it wasnt it a JCM2000 i think it was a triple super lead or something like a variation of a 2000 anyway I honestly believe the Bandit gives out a nice warm tone.
Anyway whats so bad about the Bandit 112, The reason im asking is because it sounds very professional and I guess "MY TONE" isnt what most people consider good.
I hate wide open midrangey tones, basically i dont like the classic rock sound so to speak.
I prefer scooped mids which I know is hated by most and im considered a "noob" if I scoop
but thats why i have the vox so that it fills in the midrange but with a much nicer less harsh timbre to it.

SO WHY DO PEOPLE HATE THE BANDIT?
pls help

NOTE IM ONLY USING THE CLEAN CHANNEL!
Last edited by zubin.isaac at Jul 14, 2011,
Quote by LaidBack
You say you get all your dirt from pedals; I only saw a Blue Box and one of the Boss distortions on there...is that all?

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
You missed the digitech death metal?
Its
Its the cheapest pedal on my board but I use it the most,
Ive also put a EHX bass big muff on the second board.
Dont know how it will sound but I dont think it will be that bad, sounds awsome on the bass so im sure using the dry switch will help a bit for a regular 6 string.
The Bass BM is your best dirt pedal right now. Hands down. What sort of music are you playing this rig through?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by zubin.isaac
SORRY big mistake it wasnt it a JCM2000 i think it was a triple super lead or something like a variation of a 2000 anyway I honestly believe the Bandit gives out a nice warm tone.
Anyway whats so bad about the Bandit 112, The reason im asking is because it sounds very professional and I guess "MY TONE" isnt what most people consider good.
I hate wide open midrangey tones, basically i dont like the classic rock sound so to speak.
I prefer scooped mids which I know is hated by most and im considered a "noob" if I scoop
but thats why i have the vox so that it fills in the midrange but with a much nicer less harsh timbre to it.

SO WHY DO PEOPLE HATE THE BANDIT?
pls help

NOTE IM ONLY USING THE CLEAN CHANNEL!

ok just about any SS amp is going to get a fair amount of hate here. i owned a Bandit back in the day (early 80s) and for home it was ok but i only used it in a band for about 2 months by which time i knew it just wouldn't cut it. i to used a distortion pedal thru the clean channel. the sound wasn't bad but was lacking. even back then the bandit wasn't a high end amp. actually it was kinda cheap and was all the rage with guys who were fairly new players that wanted something loud enough to play in a band. the bandit doesn't suck but i think you'll be hard pressed to find to many people that think it has an awesome tone. if it works for you then great to each his own. do yu have any sound clips or vids of your current sound.

as for the lack of advice well i think that most here think you are trying to do things the hard way (that and get a new amp is a standard answer here regardless of what you ask)
well id call it hard rock basically quite alot of van halen (albeit not very accurately) randy rhoads/zakk wylde stuff But as I said I really dont like the standard broad open sounding stuff, I rely do like scooped mids. Im not sure if thats a phase or it is just the way things sound best to me. I know that dime had a heavily scooped tone, to be fair I dont think he had a great tone but it was nice and compressed.

I used to play quite alot of GNR stuff but I use the Ds1 for that. I personally use the Digitech death metal the most and the blue box the least I havent rely experimented with the Bass Big Muff to much.
thanks for your help so far!
The Vox isn't exactly voiced right for that sort of music and the muff isn't either. And you're sure you don't want a single amp that's better suited to your playstyle?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by monwobobbo
ok just about any SS amp is going to get a fair amount of hate here. i owned a Bandit back in the day (early 80s) and for home it was ok but i only used it in a band for about 2 months by which time i knew it just wouldn't cut it. i to used a distortion pedal thru the clean channel. the sound wasn't bad but was lacking. even back then the bandit wasn't a high end amp. actually it was kinda cheap and was all the rage with guys who were fairly new players that wanted something loud enough to play in a band. the bandit doesn't suck but i think you'll be hard pressed to find to many people that think it has an awesome tone. if it works for you then great to each his own. do yu have any sound clips or vids of your current sound.

as for the lack of advice well i think that most here think you are trying to do things the hard way (that and get a new amp is a standard answer here regardless of what you ask)

Thanks for that I guess your right about us being individuals and each person's ears reacting differently to different tones.
Also I Heard about the Buy a new amp thing hear on the GG&A but I didnt know it was this bad. Anyway All of you have been great help And I Think I am going to stick with this amp combination since I like it.
Anyway I think when I need to upgrade amps I will switch to a fender which allows for nice loud clean tones?
But for now I think ive made some new friends on this forum and id like to say thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread.
Quote by LaidBack
The Vox isn't exactly voiced right for that sort of music and the muff isn't either. And you're sure you don't want a single amp that's better suited to your playstyle?

I may a bit later on down the line but for now the vox fills in the kinda fuzzy mid range part of my sound.
Fair enough. Also, everyone you stated (VH, Rhodes, Wylde) use British voiced amps, so a Fender wouldn't be your best bet.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Fix your sig, it's ****ing annoying.
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
The general consensus is that a Bandit is better than a JVM? Are you mad? If you can't make a JVM sound better than a Bandit you are doing something very wrong.
Even on the clean channel the Bandit is about as clear and defined as a puddle of mud. I guess that means it covers up a bit of poor technique because it muffles the mistakes along with everything else.
This is a prime example of how the correct answer is , "get a new amp" even though that wasn't the actual question being asked.
If you think Dime had good tone maybe you should be looking at something like a Randall Warhead or an Ampeg VH140C. Not something I'd touch with a ten foot pole but if you like Dimebag ...........
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
The general consensus is that a Bandit is better than a JVM? Are you mad? If you can't make a JVM sound better than a Bandit you are doing something very wrong.
Even on the clean channel the Bandit is about as clear and defined as a puddle of mud. I guess that means it covers up a bit of poor technique because it muffles the mistakes along with everything else.
This is a prime example of how the correct answer is , "get a new amp" even though that wasn't the actual question being asked.
If you think Dime had good tone maybe you should be looking at something like a Randall Warhead or an Ampeg VH140C. Not something I'd touch with a ten foot pole but if you like Dimebag ...........

I guess what you are saying is true about a new amp, Its just so hard to let go of the amp.
However whatevers best for my tone, What about Paul gilbert hes using a Vintage Modern and I admire his tone more than dimes so maybe british is the way to go?
The Vintage Modern is a fine amp. One of the best things Marshall have made for many a year.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If a Vintage Modern is within your pricerange I'd grab one. Stick a boost in front of it for the heavier stuff and you're golden. You wouldn't get the cabinet for $500 here.
The Nightrains are good too. I guess the big ones will be very nice. I'd still go for a VM if I had the dollars.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification