I have some pretty thin old-looking cables that I use to connect through my amp and pedal and stuff. They don't seem to buzz or cause unwanted noise or anything and work fine, but when I was using these to test amps at Sam Ash the other week, some dude who worked there was like "WTF kind of cable are you using, you need to get some good cables."

I just thought: "eh whatever," but will it actually affect my sound for the worse if I use cheap cables?

Thanks.
Yes. You'll lose some low and high end when your cables are shitty. Expensive isn't always better mind you, but you will want decent cables.
WTLTL 2011
A better approach to this is...

Cables with higher capacitance will drain your high end... affecting your tone.

For the best tone retention, cables should have extremely low capacitance. One of the key factors which affect that is the copper purity of the cables in question.

Typically, low cost cables will have higher capacitance. Hence to some extent cheap cables will affect your tone. Although this might not always be the case.

An article from Premier Guitar which also points to this
http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2011/Jul/5_Guitar_Myths_Fact_or_Fiction.aspx
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Cheap thin cables with moulded jacks -> Decent cables with metal jacks

You'll notice a difference.

Going from a £15 cable to a £40 not so much.
http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Waves-Classic-Instrument-Cable/dp/B0002GMH08/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1310667030&sr=8-3 is what I use to connect my guitar to my rp355. They are nice and sturdy and sound nice. How good are they?
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by ragingkitty
A better approach to this is...

Cables with higher capacitance will drain your high end... affecting your tone.

For the best tone retention, cables should have extremely low capacitance. One of the key factors which affect that is the copper purity of the cables in question.

Typically, low cost cables will have higher capacitance. Hence to some extent cheap cables will affect your tone. Although this might not always be the case.

An article from Premier Guitar which also points to this
http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2011/Jul/5_Guitar_Myths_Fact_or_Fiction.aspx

^ This. It doesn't really matter if it's a cheap or expensive cable. What really matters is the capacitance per foot of the cable. Lower capacitance cable won't roll off the treble as much as a higher capacitance cable. This is especially important with longer cables.
Quote by Griffin Effects
^ This. It doesn't really matter if it's a cheap or expensive cable. What really matters is the capacitance per foot of the cable. Lower capacitance cable won't roll off the treble as much as a higher capacitance cable. This is especially important with longer cables.

Cheap, really cheap IS bad.
I bought some HOSA cable that was ****ing garbage.
I thought it was ok, until one day I hit it with my pick. I heard it through my amp!
I ordered a 100 feet of Mogami cable and some plugs that night and proceeded to build my own.