I've been looking for a new guitar, I live in the uk, and there's no decent music shops near me, so that means I'm kind of limited to the internet.

I have found an ibanez rga42 for £299 which seemed a very good price, I was wondering if there are other options for this price range, or could I get anything better for less or roughly the same?

EDIT: sorry should have said at first, I would prefer a hardtail, as I have no experience of setting up floyd styles or anything
Last edited by Adam278 at Jul 14, 2011,
I got my Ibanez S1220 for £350 from eBay, shop around a bit and be patient and you might find a gem like I did
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Depends on what styles you want to play, but there are some nice Yamaha Pacificas in your price range, or an Agile
Go used, I've seen Ibanez RG550's go on Ebay for £200-£300

Can't post links to Ebay anymore. But there's one up on there right now (I think)
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by JohnMerrick
Depends on what styles you want to play, but there are some nice Yamaha Pacificas in your price range, or an Agile

Agiles aren't great for European customers. Shipping, import tax, customs duty. etc.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
I'll mainly be playing just general metal, and occasionally different rock styles. My budget would be up to about £400 maybe £450, as at the end of august I will be getting some money if I get good results on my exams. I would be willing to go used, but considering my location it would have to be through the internet, so the seller would have to be truthful and reliable, but I guess that's a given for buying anything second hand.
Last edited by Adam278 at Jul 14, 2011,
well normally if its a 'good' axe buying used shouldn't be a problem - if it's on ebay or through here it should be ok..

are there any particular bands you play?
well you have a lot of choice at that point, if you don't mind going used gumtree is always worth a look

but you're at the point of being able to afford something decent, what have you got in terms of amp and effects at the moment though?

if your whole budget can go on the guitar i suppose you could even look at some esp-ltd's in that range, maybe prs if you held out a bit and saved a little more?
i am buying this guitar to start playing again, so i dont exactly play any particular bands at the moment, bit if i say what i like it still helps: Bullet for my valentine, atreyu, avenged sevenfold, escape the fate, papa roach, slipknot, stone sour, trivium. hopefully that helps and gives you an idea.

as for amp, my one at the moment is incredibly rubbish, so i will need a new one, and i have no effects, so the less i spend on the guitar itself the more il have left over/ the quicker i can save again for these
Not sure what gear you actually need.... but I can recommend Thomann as an internet provider...
I have bought lots of stuff from them.... very very good service... They are in germany but do ship to the uk.
I got my Gibson from them... plus other stuff too.... They have special deals on from time to time too...so may be worth at try.
Good look !!
i have also seen a schecter omen extreme 6 which is £299 aswell, how does this compare to the ibanez rga42? As at the moment I am leaning towards the ibanez as the thinner neck appeals to me, but both guitars are mahogany and hardtails which I would prefer
Last edited by Adam278 at Jul 15, 2011,
Sorry to bump this up, not sure if that's aloud or not, but sorry if its not.

I really would like an answer to, which guitar is best value for money at £299, the ibanez rga42, or the schecter omen extreme 6?