Did a moderately thorough search, but didn't find anything.

Do you play the piano? Do you prefer guitar or piano? Do they help each other?

During the last few days I've learned Fur Elise. It's the first song I learn on piano. Now I'm trying to transcribe Stairway to Heaven by ear
Quote by goest
^Absolute. Uncompromising. 100% pure, fresh. Solid. Gold.

Quote by WCPhils
That might be my favorite shoop I have ever seen on here.

Quote by KnightBand
Yes! ****ing Yes! YOU LEGEND!!!
Fur Elise and Stairway in the same sentence!!!!

*keels over*

edit: Wait, false alarm. I'm an idiot.
piano was my first instrument. unfortunately, i had a short attention span for it when i was a kid and didn't practice and eventually quit.
Go Veg.
two separate sentences...and yes, I play both of them but i dont really think they help ech other because theyre fairly different instruments
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Fur Elise and Stairway in the same sentence!!!!

*keels over*

edit: Wait, false alarm. I'm an idiot.

This. Fur elise is overrated.

I played piano to learn theory. It helps with chords, modes, scales and intervals a ton. Im not amazing at it though.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

I learnt the riff in Plug in Baby on the piano a while back.

Fun stuff.
Quote by fearofthemark
This. Fur elise is overrated.

I think it's a beautiful piece.
Quote by goest

Quote by WCPhils

Quote by KnightBand
I would like to learn how to play the piano, but have no money to buy one ATM. I think that the only way they help each other is theory
Muse was the reason I got a piano. It also helped massively with theory. First thing I always play is Space Dementia or Newborn.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
I play both guitar and the piano, probably more guitar now but sometimes I have periods of time where I play only piano and no guitar. First thing I learned was "Comptine D'un Autre été, L´aprés-midi" by Yann Tiersen. Currently learning "metamorphosis 2" by Philip Glass.
I really like the instrument, can't wait till I get better hearing, understanding of theory and motor skills.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I prefer writing on piano, and kinda find it easier to write better progressions, even though guitar is my primary and I've been playing it twice as long.
Quote by Drakathan
I think it's a beautiful piece.

I think it WAS a beautiful piece, before everyone and their mother learned to play the first few measures of it, despite not playing the piano.

In all seriousness, it is a lovely piece, but it is essentially the Stairway of piano music.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
I think it WAS a beautiful piece, before everyone and their mother learned to play the first few measures of it, despite not playing the piano.

In all seriousness, it is a lovely piece, but it is essentially the Stairway of piano music.

I learned the whole thing though
Quote by goest

Quote by WCPhils

Quote by KnightBand
i use to help me learn theory, i know the first couple bars to Fur Elise (like that guy ^^ up their said tho, its like the stairway of piano)

and i also know some of moonlight sonata,

i dont play it at all tho, never took it seriously just played around learning a little bit of songs while first learning how to read music
Quote by Drakathan
I learned the whole thing though

So you're like the guy who can play Stairway INCLUDING the solo
Piano will help with guitar IMMENSELY as far as theory goes. You won't get better technique on one if you play the other though, but I've always found the piano to be the easiest instrument to picture in your head when you're figuring anything out with theory.

On topic, I don't play much piano. I can go through a chord chart with simple inversions and bass roots, and have basic co-ordination between the 2 hands (Eg, chords and lead lines at the same time) but nothing towards the extent of playing any pieces. Though if I did OWN one, I'd definitely get there.

Also, slightly on topic, my girlfriend's family have one heirloom that none of them want. An 18th century player piano (?), and seeing as I'm doing a tertiary course in music, they've agreed to let me have it as sign as I can find the room. A girlfriend that comes with a piano, what more could you want?
Quote by sweet_requiem
A girlfriend that comes with a piano, what more could you want?

One that comes with a liquor store.

edit: And then leaves.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
So you're like the guy who can play Stairway INCLUDING the solo

edit: To my defence, it's the first time I've played a piano
Quote by goest

Quote by WCPhils

Quote by KnightBand
Last edited by Drakathan at Jul 14, 2011,
Piano was my first instrument, played it for 5-6 years. Then I shifted over to guitar for 2-3. Now I'm back on the piano and I honestly prefer it to the guitar.
They're both good in their own right. I can't play a single song on Piano though, and i want to more than i want to learn any song on Guitar.
Quote by Kensai
I play both guitar and the piano, probably more guitar now but sometimes I have periods of time where I play only piano and no guitar. First thing I learned was "Comptine D'un Autre été, L´aprés-midi" by Yann Tiersen. Currently learning "metamorphosis 2" by Philip Glass.
I really like the instrument, can't wait till I get better hearing, understanding of theory and motor skills.

Omnomnomnom
Quote by fearofthemark

I played piano to learn theory. It helps with chords, modes, scales and intervals a ton. Im not amazing at it though.

This. I was forced into learning the piano by my parents but I'm glad I did it because I learned stuff I can apply to almost any instrument now.
cat
Quote by SeveralSpecies
One that comes with a liquor store.

edit: And then leaves.

Your definition of the perfect girlfriend is amazon.com
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Quote by fearofthemark

Your definition of the perfect girlfriend is amazon.com

Is it more depressing that this would be considered someone I "met on the internet?"
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Is it more depressing that this would be considered someone I "met on the internet?"

Depends. Would it be a "long-distance relationship?"
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22