Page 1 of 2

i mean, seriously though. look at the necks on these guitars. theres a CV tele with a flamed maple neck at the local store by me. it's not the first flamed neck i've seen on these, insane.

sure the bodies are a few pieces of wood glued together. hell GIBSON does that on USA model les paul studio guitars.

the pick ups and electronics aren't the best, but if you have a decent amp you can coax some serious tone out of them.

i looked at one of the necks very closely and checked the specs.

warmoth was $400 for a neck with the same specs.
mighty mite was a little less.

HOW can they make the entire guitar, with a great neck for less than these guys charge for the whole guitar???

thoughts?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Well, I've only played the 50s Telecaster and 50s Stratocaster. I'd say they charge $350-400 because that's as much as people would pay. The Strat was great except that the frets hadn't been filed down on the edges (and yes, would cut your hand if you tried a fast slide) and the bridge pickup was thin and harsh, but I found nothing to like about the Tele. Bad fit and finish all around, all the electronics would have to be replaced to use it, sticky neck, bad tuners. The necks were pretty, but bear in mind that neck probably costs Squier three or four dollars. For the money it's not so bad, but there's no way I'd pay $500 for it. The Strat was better, but they still wouldn't sell many if they raised the price.

EDIT: Please, please don't reply to Ghefly, I'm pretty sure he's trolling.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
Last edited by AeolianSeventh at Jul 14, 2011,
Cos all Squiers are crap cos they're cheap and Fenders that are made in Mexico are 1000x better in every way. Squiers are just for noobs who can't buy £1000 guitars and don't play guitar seriously.
cheaper materials and taking a hit on the profit margin to try to compete with other brands pumping out guitars in a similar price range
Quote by AeolianSeventh
Well, I've only played the 50s Telecaster and 50s Stratocaster. I'd say they charge $350-400 because that's as much as people would pay. The Strat was great except that the frets hadn't been filed down on the edges (and yes, would cut your hand if you tried a fast slide) .

or humidity.

i've seen custom shop strats do that.
Quote by gregs1020
or humidity.

i've seen custom shop strats do that.

Frets that rough? Every Custom Shop guitar I played had the frets flush with the board. That's one of the most basic things to expect from a guitar. I've only ever had that problem on Squiers, Behringers, and the occasional Epiphone. My hundred dollar Schecter doesn't even have that problem, even a little.

Not 100% sure tbh, I got confused, same with the vintage modified ones, fantastic guitars for a steal!
I love Prog, +1 for synth solos and songs about maggie thatcher.

Gear:

Geddy Lee Jazz (Black )
Fender Rumble 100 (It lights up )
MXR Auto-Wah (Purple... )
Boss Bass Overdrive (I can almsot sound like Chris Wolstenholme )
Because you can't charge for the name on the headstock, whereas with similar quality guitars made by Fender or some such, you can.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Because you can't charge for the name on the headstock, whereas with similar quality guitars made by Fender or some such, you can.

Yep. If you say "yeah, I play a Squier" people will never look at you the same way again. That really knocks the price down.

It's unfortunate. The CVs and VMs are some really nice guitars, and their bass equivalents are even better. (Squier basses are amazing. Who knew?)
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
Last edited by sonic_777111 at Jul 14, 2011,
Its because they are made by the C.H. Ina company by 7 year olds. Any questions?
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Im guessing because Fender wanted to make a good chinese guitar, but didn't want to soil their name, so the squier CV was born. Like everyone else is saying, people won't pay too much for a Squier.
Quote by DSOTM80
Its because they are made by the C.H. Ina company by 7 year olds. Any questions?

is it possible to adopt one of them?

i could put them to good work.

Quote by AeolianSeventh
Frets that rough? Every Custom Shop guitar I played had the frets flush with the board. That's one of the most basic things to expect from a guitar. .

well custom shop fenders don't always sell right away. we had 3 that were +$2000 at the store and after a winter summer winter humidity/temp changes in chicago, boom. same thing with a PRS mccarty and studio LPs. it happens depending on where you live.

bound necks don't generally have as much of an issue.
Quote by sonic_777111
Yep. If you say "yeah, I play a Squier" people will never look at you the same way again. That really knocks the price down.

It's unfortunate. The CVs and VMs are some really nice guitars, and their bass equivalents are even better. (Squier basses are amazing. Who knew?)

My brother picked up a Squier "Standard Series" P-Bass for £60. I don't believe they sell them anymore, but it's basically a P-Bass with a J-Bass bridge pickup as well. It's fantastic though. It was better than the MusicMan Stingray he used to have.
Quote by sonic_777111

not true. i've seen my old tech igor gig a squier, dude's amazing. just not so.

and completely agree.
Who cares what you play, its how you play it. Its the same with these clowns who buy $2000-$3000 Marshall's and other high end tube amps and sound no better then me when I let one rip after a big meal. They talk sh*t about Line 6 POD's or the Axe FX and other modelling hardware but I've heard some great tones come out of those products. The difference was the person playing the equipment.

Remember, most of your favourite music was recorded on worse equipment then what you probably own today. So go ahead and buy $300 custom wound pickups, my money will be on the guy with average equipment who knows how to rip.
Quote by DSOTM80
Who cares what you play, its how you play it. Its the same with these clowns who buy $2000-$3000 Marshall's and other high end tube amps and sound no better then me when I let one rip after a big meal. They talk sh*t about Line 6 POD's or the Axe FX and other modelling hardware but I've heard some great tones come out of those products. The difference was the person playing the equipment.

Remember, most of your favourite music was recorded on worse equipment then what you probably own today. So go ahead and buy $300 custom wound pickups, my money will be on the guy with average equipment who knows how to rip.

Somebody who can't play well through an awesome rig: terrible music.
Somebody can play well through a terrible rig: bad music.
Somebody who can play well through an awesome rig: great music!

Doesn't matter whether you're Hendrix or Satch or John Mayer or Betty Wiggin, you'll play and sound better with the right gear.

The best thing on a Squier is the neck. The body is usually absolutely terrible, but the necks are practically the entire price of the guitar. I had the frets leveled on my Affinity and it's now prolly equivalent to a MIM neck.

Maybe I should just be cheap and go for a CV Squier instead of dropping $1200 on a custom Warmoth Strat....might be a good idea, since I am poor.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Maybe I should just be cheap and go for a CV Squier instead of dropping $1200 on a custom Warmoth Strat....might be a good idea, since I am poor.

If you replace all the electronics, I think you could get a great tone and feel out of it. Except that bridge pickup, the 50s CV Strat I played was great. Though if I got one I'd have to sand down the neck...can't stand gloss-finished necks.

Quote by AeolianSeventh
If you replace all the electronics, I think you could get a great tone and feel out of it. Except that bridge pickup, the 50s CV Strat I played was great. Though if I got one I'd have to sand down the neck...can't stand gloss-finished necks.

I have, I have a BKP Painkiller and BKP Trilogy Suites in my Affinity, it's just I'm wearing it out so fast, I can't use the trem anymore cause the wood where the trem screws go is becoming all stripped out, and in general the body is too thin, so I keep having to replace switches, and it's just wearing out.

What I really want is just a better base to build off of, I have the pickups, I just need something better built than my old Affinity.
Quote by AeolianSeventh
Somebody who can't play well through an awesome rig: terrible music.
Somebody can play well through a terrible rig: bad music.
Somebody who can play well through an awesome rig: great music!

Doesn't matter whether you're Hendrix or Satch or John Mayer or Betty Wiggin, you'll play and sound better with the right gear.

So this is bad music?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9v5e1TTwts
^ makes me want to find my members only jacket.
Quote by DSOTM80

Not really, but I'm quite confident that if he had a guitar with a faster neck, better trem and better sustain, he'd play better.

As (I think) the guy from Woodytone.com said, there's only a 10% difference between what you can do with pro gear and cheap junk, but then, there's only a 10% difference between a minor league pitcher and major league one. That last 10% matters.

Quote by sonic_777111
(Squier basses are amazing. Who knew?)

i disagree complelty. our bassist has a squire bass and it is the biggest PoS bass i have ever seen. every other bass for 200$ kills it in quality and sound
Quote by Seanthesheep
i disagree complelty. our bassist has a squire bass and it is the biggest PoS bass i have ever seen. another bass for 200$ kills it in quality and sound

yes, that's right, because all squiER basses are exactly the same, so that one bass represents every single squier bass ever.

squier makes some good basses and some shit ones, just like any other company really. i played a 1980s MIJ squier jazz bass a couple of years ago that was nearly as good as my 1978 rickenbacker 4001 in every way imaginable - my ric is the only bass i've ever owned and that squier was the only other bass i've ever enjoyed playing. yes, i'm a severe bass-snob, but it's not my fault my dad gave me his old rickenbacker for nothing

the classic vibe basses aren't bad, either.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Jul 14, 2011,
Quote by Ghefly
Cos all Squiers are crap cos they're cheap and Fenders that are made in Mexico are 1000x better in every way. Squiers are just for noobs who can't buy £1000 guitars and don't play guitar seriously.

Are you a troll or stupid?

Spoiled brit twits aside, aside from the # of pieces of wood the body is made from, and the finish, their is little difference from a squier and a MIA fender, that can't be adjusted at home for much less. Someone always says this in these kind of threads, that we are in the best time for cheap guitars, because quality is on the rise. Anyone can agree, your amp is the biggest part of you're tone, followed by the electronics and strings, and yourself. Aside from gear snobs, the rest of the 6+ billion people don't care about you're guitar, the manufacturer or anything. If you think you can hear a justifiable difference in owning a one piece guitar at a premium price, it's you're money, go for it.

As for bad equipment good player = bad music, that's bull shit and 100% opinion

John Fogerty = SS Kustom tuck N roll amp
Eddie Van = ugly hunk of crap guitar, that people will pay out the nose for a copy of
Jack White everything

That's three people completely different styles of music with millions of fans, with tones people die to have. If you feel it takes lot's of money sound good, that's your deal, but all that money for that 10% is in your head, because it's 100% subjective.

I want a squier CV Duo Sonic
Last edited by askrere at Jul 14, 2011,
Quote by askrere
As for bad equipment good player = bad music, that's bull shit and 100% opinion

John Fogerty = SS Kustom tuck N roll amp
Eddie Van = ugly hunk of crap guitar, that people will pay out the nose for a copy of
Jack White everything

That's three people completely different styles of music with millions of fans, with tones people die to have. If you feel it takes lot's of money sound good, that's your deal, but all that money for that 10% is in your head, because it's 100% subjective.

Hey, plenty of great gear is very cheap.

SS Kustom Tuck 'n' Roll: good amps. Sweet cleans, nice growly crunch. Played one myself until somebody offered me good money for it.
EVH's guitar: ugly, but great tone.
Jack White's Silvertone guitars and amps: well-built and very distinctive and, more importantly, being used for a kind of music that wouldn't sound right with a PRS through a Mesa.

It's about using the right tool for the job. Some times that tool is dirt cheap, sometimes it's three grand. Sometimes nobody makes the tool so you have to put it together yourself and it comes out ugly but awesome-sounding. Other times you're the only one who needs that particular tool and you can get it for $50 on eBay. Doesn't matter, you still won't make good music without the right instrument.

Oh, and something can't be both a matter of opinion and bullshit. If it is, I'm sorry, but we have to conclude that your opinion is bullshit too. Either it's objectively true, objectively false, or opinion. You don't get to pick two.

Sorry was eating chicago pizza for the first time in years and typed wrong. Anyways cheap/expensive whatever, If you buy a PRS and a Mesa, you're probably doing something a squier or fender isn't appropriate for, unless you get like a HH something.
Quote by askrere
Sorry was eating chicago pizza for the first time in years and typed wrong.

Best possible excuse.
Quote by askere
Anyways cheap/expensive whatever, If you buy a PRS and a Mesa, you're probably doing something a squier or fender isn't appropriate for, unless you get like a HH something.

There, at least, we're in agreement. Nevertheless, I'm pretty confident that if you're playing music that calls for a Tele, f'rinstance, you'll make better music with the Tele with the best neck, pickups, body, et cetera, than you will if it's got rough, painful frets, harsh sounding pickups and so on.

squiers are the bomb, just admit it.
Quote by askrere
Sorry was eating chicago pizza.

you better be in a zip code that starts with a 6.
I find the whole brand name argument interesting, people can really be caught up by what people think of their gear.
I love my Squier strat, I put new pickups in my MIM strat and replaced the stock squier pickups with the old Mexican ones and man, I use my Squier more than ever.
I'm actually picking up the new CV tele in BBS, I couldn't give a frick if it said dog crap on the headstock.
Get over brand name, the ability is in the musician not the guitar.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by gregs1020
... well custom shop fenders don't always sell right away. we had 3 that were +$2000 at the store and after a winter summer winter humidity/temp changes in chicago, boom. same thing with a PRS mccarty and studio LPs. it happens depending on where you live.

bound necks don't generally have as much of an issue.
Move to the Left Coast!
I think this is such a big issue in music today. I have recently been in the market for a Telecaster and basically my first thought was the MIM Standard. I went down to my local shop to have a play on one and the shop worker who was hanging around said to try the CV and low and behold I found it excellent to play. I left the store head spinning as to how such a good guitar was so cheap and realised that I had the cash for the CV there in my pocket but had walked away. I think people are more inclined to pay for the name on the headstock just the same way they would rather have Calvin Klein on their underwear than Walmart or masala.
I can't imagine why anybody would care about the brand name, honestly. I've used a Squier Deluxe Strat with hot rails for certain songs for four or five years now, and nobody has ever walked out of a show when they saw it.
And to clarify, I'm not against Squier. Just the CV Tele, and if you sanded the gloss finish off the neck and replaced the pickups, I might like it.

Last edited by AeolianSeventh at Jul 15, 2011,
Quote by Ippon
Move to the Left Coast!

yea that would be nice. i keep the house humidified in the winter so the dryness isn't an issue.

the store had a problem though there for a little while.
I find the whole brand name argument interesting, people can really be caught up by what people think of their gear.

I love my Squier strat, I put new pickups in my MIM strat and replaced the stock squier pickups with the old Mexican ones and man, I use my Squier more than ever.

I'm actually picking up the new CV tele in BBS, I couldn't give a frick if it said dog crap on the headstock.

Get over brand name, the ability is in the musician not the guitar

I completely agree my first guitar is a Squier Standard Strat and after swapping the bridge with a humbucker and the other 2 with Duncan's it was a beaut, I still have and play it to this day although its regrettably heading to eBay due to a sprog on the way and being evicted from the spare bedroom to the loft conversion (apparently its now the babies room not the guitar room and its not safe to carry a baby up a ladder, women eh!)
I got one of those CV Teles when they first came out, and online. Worked great!

And to the dingaling who associated Squiers only with noobs, he obviously hasn't experienced the MIJ Squier JV Series, some priced like CS Fenders.
some of the greatest music in the world was created on what would be considered crap instruments and gear. Look, i am all for buying what you can afford and even sometimes buying out of your range and eating beans for a while. But to me, bottom line is the music comes from the player... i am pretty sure that Hendrix could pick up the biggest P.O.S. guitar in the world and make it do things that you couldn't imagine (then right after they would try to make a pedal to mimic the sound). I think there are tons and tons of low end gear out there that will fit the bill of just about anybody. It isn't cool to think it but if you can shred you can shred on anything. Could you do better on high end stuff... of course, but does it matter? Not at all. We are not competing for signing contracts, we love guitar and we love music. some of my all time favorite music sounds like it was recorded in a blender... raw angry garage music that rips my brain in half and makes me beg for more. I don't give a rats ass what they used or how they did it... it just raises the hair on my arms and reminds me i am alive. Classic Vibe Squiers cheap? GOOD... they might help bring someone into the music world that can't drop 1K on a guitar, awesome! i hope that a million musicians pick up cheap guitars and turn the music world upside down. Just play like hell and keep the frets clean from use. that is all that really matters
Quote by Eppicurt
Get over brand name, the ability is in the musician not the guitar.

this.

well, i find the brand name argument pretty retarded, rather than interesting. haters gonna hate no matter what brand it is - squier, or gibson (the thread this is a parody of), or anything else.

you buy gear to please yourself and nobody else really cares. and the others that do care, and judge you accordingly? well, you don't need their respect because their respect isn't worth anything to you.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Page 1 of 2