When you walk in a music store, what do you want to see?

Do you want all the amps in one area, do you want each individual product line to be separated?

Do you want to be greeted at the door? Do you want employees that know what they are talking about?

Do you just want to be left alone and play?

In smaller non-chain stores what kind of product lineup do you need to see in order to take the store seriously?

Please answer some of these questions and any other ideas you have to share.
I'm pretty sure UG isn't intended for marketing stats.

Quote by localmusic

Cheap used gear.

Do you want all the amps in one area, do you want each individual product line to be separated?

Not important

Do you want to be greeted at the door?

Sure

Do you want employees that know what they are talking about?

Obviously?

Doesn't everyone?

In smaller non-chain stores what kind of product lineup do you need to see in order to take the store seriously?

Not important
When I'm i a big store, all I want is to have a nice overview, that shouldn't mean amps and guitars have to be sperated, but if you need to find something, you don't have to look for over half an hour, keep different instruments (bass-guitar-drums-piano) in different places, not all together.

In a small shop, all I care about is a friendly owner who likes to talk about music and always has a great story about his time on the road (at least that's what I like in the music store I go to).

Fact is that when you're in a big store, it's like in a supermarket, you just want to look at stuff and get what you need, maybe even things you don't...

But when in a small store, you wanna talk music try out different stuff and get a descent explanation or even tips when playing or on how to use the equipment (not that you'll have to follow those, but with like multi-effects or something, this can come in handy). Back when I bought my DL4, the owner had been working on it all day to make it sound exactly as an 80's echoplex he had lying around...
Fender Jazzmaster
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Martin OM-1 (acoustic)
I want get interested in what I see when I enter a music store, the desire to proceed browsing the store.

In my local store there's guitars almost everywhere, amps in one place, keyboards and pianos in one area and basses on a wall.

I don't want to be greeted everytime I walk into their store, it would be kinda awkward. And why wouldn't I want the employees to be able to help me and give me the information I'm looking for? Instruments are quite a big purchase and I want somebody who doesn't sell me that which I don't want or tell me to buy things I don't want.

Yes, but I want the employees to be easy to approach. And they better not watch me while I play or walking around in the store.

Nothing big really, there's plenty in the local store I'm talking about in this post, they have Gibsons', Fenders, Epiphones', ESPs' and the usual.
Quote by Kill A Kitten
You know that old saying: "Men who play bass in the band have the largest genitalia." Well, it's the same for women.
Quote by localmusic

A wide selection of various guitars, amps, pedals and accessories.

Not important.

Do you want to be greeted at the door? Do you want employees that know what they are talking about?

Not important to be greeted at the door, but I would love to talk to people who can help me find what I want if I have questions

Yes, unless they want to tell me how godly I am and that I resemble a yong Steve Vai.

ENGL!

Guitar/bass/mandolin stuff:
PRS SE Custom 24
PRS SE Paul Allender
Martin DCX1E
Squire Start
Memphis Bass
Johnson Savannah mando

Amp/effects/misc:
Digitech RP1000
Line 6 Spider Valve 212
Toneport Studio KB37

check out my last.fm!
Quote by localmusic
Hot, easy girls age 16-24 with vast musical knowledge and no boyfriends

Don't care

Only by hot easy girls

Yeah, or in a private booth with a hot easy girl

Not line6 spiders
)

v EDIT: no you!
Last edited by funeralllllllll at Jul 14, 2011,
Quote by localmusic

Hundreds of naked women surrounding a golden throne, in which I sit and let them feed me beef jerky.

It would be cool too make everything organized and easy to find, but it isn't important, since all I have to do is say what I want to try and the naked women will bring it to me.

Only if the door greeters are more naked women. They don't have to know what they're talking about, because they are not allowed to speak. I tell them what I want, they find it and bring it to me.

Nope. I want the naked women to be pleasuring me as I play. It helps the fluidity of my riffs and solos.

A large selection of custom PRS and Carvin guitars. Also, if there are no naked women, I won't shop there.

Hope I helped.

^EDIT: **** you :/
Quote by localmusic

Jesus himself playing through a mesa rectifier with amazing hot angels that do whatever we please sitting on his lap.

SEGREGATION IS BAD

Only greeted at the door if Jesus is the one who wishes to talk to me, and grants me the power to attract any woman I wish. And of course he needs to know what he is talking about music wise! Hes Jesus!

Naw man Jesus can give me some good pointerss, and those angels can help me out *cough cough*

Anything that Jesus would be playing, duh

Quote by mcraddict81592
If you need to kill a man with a 9v adapter? I say strangulate. Or swing the heavy end around and aim for the temple, all depends on your style.

FrankenBee Build
Quote by localmusic

Naked chicks.

Quote by localmusic

I want naked chicks.

Quote by localmusic
1) Do you want to be greeted at the door? 2) Do you want employees that know what they are talking about?

1) By a naked chick? Yeah, otherwise I don't care.
2) No matter long as the employee is a) a chick and b) naked.

Quote by localmusic

...with myself? Depends on how hot the naked chicks are.

Quote by localmusic

I refuse to view human beings (such as naked chicks) as "product". Seriously, what kind of sicko are you?

Quote by localmusic

I've got one suggestion. It starts with an "n" and ends with "aked chicks". You figure it out, champ.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Jul 14, 2011,
I see a pattern forming.
Guitar/bass/mandolin stuff:
PRS SE Custom 24
PRS SE Paul Allender
Martin DCX1E
Squire Start
Memphis Bass
Johnson Savannah mando

Amp/effects/misc:
Digitech RP1000
Line 6 Spider Valve 212
Toneport Studio KB37

check out my last.fm!
+1 to the Naked Hot Chicks, but I'll also be serious :p
Quote by localmusic

It's gotta be tidy and well laid out

To be honest I'd prefer shops to just sort things by price, I hate having to check every guitar in the style I'm looking at to maybe find 1 or 2 in the correct price range for my budget, it wouldn't have to labelled, just ya know.... sorted

Greeted not really... but I think it's essential that employees know what they're talking about, it makes or breaks a music store for me

honestly I'd love to be left alone but realistically I wouldn't complain if you left me alone for an hour and then kicked me out if i wasn't gonna buy anything

I'd love to see more than 2 brands of guitar other than budget ones (an issue with the 3 stores in my city) A few brands of amps, decent budget ones and a few higher end ones. But to be honest it's not what I want to see it's more what I'd like the store to do, I'd like the store to order stuff in for me to try out without me having to buy it (another issue with my local stores) and stock things I buy regularly

Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb

An endless mountain of amps. Vintage, new, used, tube, solid state. YOU NAME IT. Followed by a wall of guitars ranging in quality as well as used ones as well.

Having designated areas for each type of equipment sounds decent

Don't care, and it doesn't matter. Most places have employees that are knowledgeable about what they need to know. But every now and then you can walk into a GC and walk out with a good piece of gear for stupid cheap because of dumb staff.

Oh yeah, GC people will sit there and talk with me forever.

Something other than Spider and/or MG series amps.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
as somebody posted earlier, guitar stores are not made for a good number of UGers.

if you are looking to be prosperous, you need to sell things that a lot of us UGers don't like.

99% of business is people who dont know a damn about anything and get oogled into the color of the guitar or the lights on the inside of the amp.

the 1% that a lot of us want are $2-4k amps, an extreme variety of different brands of effects with a good number being more expensive side. guitars that are of a good variety of mediocre to high end.

thats my first $.02

here is my second:

some high end amps, isolation rooms are nice, guitars that you can reach yourself so you dont have to have and employee up your rear the entire time.

i think GC does it right in my eyes *gasp* puts the louder/louder higher gain stuff where people like to dime it in a seperate area (as they call it the vault), thus the guy trying to hear the champion 600 he is demoing can at least be heard over the 15 year kid diming a 6505 in the iso room.

being greeted at the door to some degree is very imortant for any store, expecially including a guitar store, where people seek more guidance than a shopper would at Target.

yes. if i have somebody on my rear too much, especially if he is doing so rudely, i will just complete the transaction with another salesman. yea its not the nicest thing to do, but hey, whatcha expect.

oh god, the clostest three guitar stores here one carries dean (but doesn't sell any amplifiers other than the dean ones that come in the amp pack), the second one ibanez, but only the lower end models (think <$500), and the other which is pretty big in comparison, Fender, Squier, and a little bit of Jackson, but have a nice used selection.

i will not take a store seriously if they have less than 3-4 major brands of guitars and amp wise at least a step beyond beginner.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I'll tell you want I don't want to see:

1. Guys who bring their girlfriends to music stores for the sole purpose of showing off poorly played songs on expensive gear.

2. Oil faced teenagers who think music stores are playgrounds (it's worse when they travel in packs)

3. People who go to music stores for the sole purpose of showing off their guitar skills, which is characterized by guys who bring entire CD collections to the store with a CD player and jam non-stop for hours, after which they pack up and leave without buying anything at all.

In general I hate when people go to music stores and do anything but buy or genuinely test out gear. Of course it's hard to tell whether someone is actually there to buy or test something out, but usually if you see the same people there regularly who never buy anything I would probably go up to them and try to sell them something until they leave.
quail makes some good points

however, i'll qualify my response a little more.

yvonne strahovski swooning over my badass (in my head) playing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I wanna see dust, brown paper bags, general disarray, hand-written price tags, loads of frayed tweed and tolex, ads for drummers desperately wanted, and guitarists available.

I wanna smell old amps and guitars, and a slight aroma of weed.
Last edited by jakey333 at Jul 14, 2011,
Quote by Dave_Mc
quail makes some good points

however, i'll qualify my response a little more.

yvonne strahovski swooning over my badass (in my head) playing.

Never! She's mine!
this forum really need an emoticon of one smiley smacking another smiley in the face with a glove...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Here's my marketing data--musicians love feeling like they "found" the gear, not like it's sold to them. All music shops should be crammed to the gills with as much cluttered gear as possible, only loosely organized into sections. I want to actually take the time to hunt through everything when I go into a music shop, not have it layed out like a brick and morter version of a catalog. Adventure I say! Adventure!

No tidyness, no open floor space beyond that necessary to try the gear out, and a ton of used gear, parts, and other affordable and impulse stuff other than strings and pics.

And lots of hot girls.

Okay, A good layout is guitars on hangers with amps underneath, stacked no more than 2 high. sorted by price and shape/style is a must. keep the fender styles together, keep the gibbos together, keep the mode modern shapes together.

No, being greeted to me is too high pressure, to me it screams, Buy something. having a freindly demeanour and a knowledge of the products is good enough.
Having someone keep their eyes on forums would be good, a good way fo seeing whats hot and not, also, not being afraid to say, sorry, i dont know, but ill find out for you.

Yes, but then again beginners may need outling on the features , advantages and disadvantages of guitars and amps. booths are a good idea, but if thats not possible, set up an area to take amps to in a back room or stock area for testing.

you have to know that just because you may like kustom, not everyone does, ( only an example) as long as there is a nice range, and i mean range, not a fender and a marshall amp, you need to be able to convert people to brands, i dont stock fender, but this blah blah blah is a good guitar, made in japan, better stock pickups e.t.c
if your in the uk, find some brands that are hard to com by, stock a few of them, as well as some more popular brands. people will travel fromm far to ry out the new haegstrom if they are considering them.

hope that helped.
if you need an employee contact me!!
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Here's my marketing data--musicians love feeling like they "found" the gear, not like it's sold to them. All music shops should be crammed to the gills with as much cluttered gear as possible, only loosely organized into sections. I want to actually take the time to hunt through everything when I go into a music shop, not have it layed out like a brick and morter version of a catalog. Adventure I say! Adventure!

No tidyness, no open floor space beyond that necessary to try the gear out, and a ton of used gear, parts, and other affordable and impulse stuff other than strings and pics.

+1.
Hot damn, if Quailman ain't got it right, I don't know who'll have.

Also, is there any incentive involved?

Quote by dullsilver_mike

And lots of hot girls.

If you're gonne be that definitive about market research, you're gonna need to quote your sources, your sample, timing that the research was conducted and the respondent demographic.

Otherwise, its just another opinion.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by Dave_Mc
this forum really need an emoticon of one smiley smacking another smiley in the face with a glove...

have you tried it's cooler than a slap with a glove :p
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Quote by ragingkitty
Hot damn, if Quailman ain't got it right, I don't know who'll have.

Also, is there any incentive involved?

If you're gonne be that definitive about market research, you're gonna need to quote your sources, your sample, timing that the research was conducted and the respondent demographic.

Otherwise, its just another opinion.

It's called a joke. See how the TS just joined to post the thread and is clearly collecting data from a potential customer base?

Also, stop taking market research so seriously, the whole field is also a joke
Quote by dullsilver_mike
It's called a joke. See how the TS just joined to post the thread and is clearly collecting data from a potential customer base?

Also, stop taking market research so seriously, the whole field is also a joke

Are you seriously serious?

I wouldn't stop him from try, but I'm definitely withholding responses until i see an incentive.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
Are you seriously serious?

About it all being a joke, but not about you taking it too seriously on UG.

Though I do like to earnestly bitch about TV shoes, films, and lots of products absolutely ruined by focus groups.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
About it all being a joke, but not about you taking it too seriously on UG.

Though I do like to earnestly bitch about TV shoes, films, and lots of products absolutely ruined by focus groups.

Meh, I'm usually the one conducting it, and I don't use the products I work on... so

yeah... I do know I take somethings a little too seriously on UG.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by GABarrie
have you tried it's cooler than a slap with a glove :p

nah the slap is cooler in a rakish, 18th century kind of way

Quote by Ippon
Not painful enough. or

haha
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
amps lined up all over so that they r easily accessible. and i would love to have pedals lined up so that i can try them out rather than having to go over, have an employee pull one out of the box, and stand over me while i play it. u should be able to plug into an amp, click on a pedal and play it. easy as that. and dont put the nice guitars so high up on the wall that u need a ladder. thats like saying "im too good for u, u can't play me"
Gorgeous naked chicks (probably a bit thicker than most of the guys here prefer) aside, here are my more serious answers.
Quote by localmusic
Brands other than Dean, Schecter, and Fender which seems to be all anybody around here carries. I want it to be maneuverable, tidy, and maybe have some hot posters on the walls.

Guitar amps near the guitar, bass amps near the basses, keyboard amps with the keyboards. However, the tube stuff and stacks should be in a isolated, soundproofed room for people to try stuff out in.

Brands can be segregated, but please put the lower end stuff on the lowest racks, then next price range up, etc. Though I don't want to need a 5 step ladder to pick out an Ibanez JS1000 like at every GC I've ever been to.

Greeting at first visit, after that I'm good. I want the store run by an instrumentalist who is well rounded in at least 3 instruments (say, bass, keyboards, drums). Almost every music store in my area is run by a drummer and there are no isolation rooms for any instrument but acoustic guitar, so you can't turn anything up.

Yes, but it's cool to have somebody check in from time to time.

Gibson, LTD Deluxe/ESP guitars, Jacksons with thru-body necks, similar Ibanez models, Paul Reed Smith, high-end Deans, some obscure brands or stuff from local luthiers. I don't want to see a Line6 spider that isn't a valve, I don't want to see a Schecter Hellraiser or Syn sig, and I don't want to see a Bronze series BC Rich. Basically, if I see high-end or intermediate level products from at least 3 brands there, I'll take it more seriously. I also like to see Egnater, Randall, Mesa/Boogie, and Soldano products. Maybe Rivera.

Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores