Page 1 of 2
Hey dudes!

I bought 3 sets of Ernie Ball's ( Balls) off e-bay for £12 quid delivered, that's like $250,000 USD or something?

Brand new of course and from a shop, not a private sale. I'm used to buying strings from a local guitar shop but at £7 a set, it gets expensive (considering I have 13 guitars).

I kinda feel like i'm selling out not supporting my local shop... but at those prices, why wouldn't I?

Anyway, how much would you say you spend on strings a year and what do you pay? Do you support your local shops or just go online?
£3 - 5 a pack depending on what strings I fancy. Always online as well, since I don't I don't have a local music store near me.
I pick up strings when I'm near the music shop I use. Which isn't very often.
So maybe a new set of strings every 5 months. They cost me a fiver a set, Roto pinks ftw.

Though I do need to go pick some acoustic strings up for the first time soon.
Quote by thisguythereyea
Buy elixirs. They last longer and are worth the extra moneyz.

No, they are definitely not.
I used to get 9s in ASDA for like £2 (First act) they stopped selling them </3 so I started buying Rotosound yellows on Amazon for ~£4 because they came with an extra high e. The nearest music shop to me is in Edinburgh which is pretty far to go just to pick up strings.

Also I remeber one time I was in ASDA buying them and the guy with me said "Don't buy them here these a shit get Elixers"

Which were like £15! (I think)
There used to be a shop near me that sold strings for £5 a pack, which is as reasonable a price as you can get (not going on ebay or buying in bulk) but they shut down so the other shop in town is all that's left, and charge more than internet prices (even with postage), and they only stock Ernie Ball and Gibson strings, neither are "my" brands.
I use D'addario or Rotosound (tempted to try Dean Markley too) so I don't think it's worth paying loads for stuff I don't want.

So the internet gets my money...as usual.
I just bought two packs of strings for $5.98. Pretty cheap, if you ask me.
Quote by Ville Valo
Hurting Linde is like hurting Bambi. You just can't do it.

You should click on those, I think.

I like My Little Pony. Come at me, bro.
I must spend a max of 20 bucks a year on strings. Strings usually last quite some time for me, which seems like some kind of phenomenon since I'm one to bend the hell out them on a regular basis...
'And if this clock keeps beating down, let the branded time keep playing, of all the minutes that were taken away, will your watch be waiting.'
I get Ernie Ball Regular Slinkys from the closest music store to my house for about $5.
Fanfiction profile: Kutlessrocker's Fanfiction profile. Click Me!

Quote by BrokenBricks
haha yah, kinda. cows are such hilarious creatures, they would be so worthless in nature. the totality of their existence is to taste good with A1 poured on them.
Semi off topic but not worth a new one:

When browsing for strings on Amazon I noitced that Bass strings are like £15-£20, are they supposed to be changed as often as guitar strings?
stringsbymail.com

Buy 100 sets of strings for $100. Never go to any shop ever again.
R.I.P. PAUL GILBERT

You will be missed...
Quote by MegadethFan18

When browsing for strings on Amazon I noitced that Bass strings are like £15-£20, are they supposed to be changed as often as guitar strings?

I've had a set of Fender strings on my bass for 4 years and haven't changed them . It still sounds as good as it did the day I put them on.
Fanfiction profile: Kutlessrocker's Fanfiction profile. Click Me!

Quote by BrokenBricks
haha yah, kinda. cows are such hilarious creatures, they would be so worthless in nature. the totality of their existence is to taste good with A1 poured on them.
Quote by MegadethFan18

No
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Quote by MegadethFan18
I say strings are strings.

They most defiantly are not. Round wounds sound nothing like flat wounds, simi wound sound nothing like nickle wound, stainless steel wound sound nothing like nickle steel... and so on and so fourth...

Your mind would be blown at the differences in tone.
I hate my local shop. The woman in there is an annoying bitch and the stuff in there is overpriced. They just can't compete with the internet.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by MegadethFan18

Nope, bass strings last much longer than guitar strings. You basically play on them until one breaks. Some people like that zing you get with new strings (it sounds good with some types of metal or punk) so they change them more often. I however like my bass strings fairly dead sounding.
I pride myself on my humility.
Due to shipping charges and freight charges, if strings costed like $2US by the time they reached by my, they'd be like $70. I had to buy some strings the other day that cost me $90.
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
Well, I AM the local music shop, so I just get my shit at cost. I use D'Addario EXP Phosphor Bronze lights on my acoustic and D'Addario EXP nickel wound lights on my electric.

Although the set before last on my acoustic I used an 80/20 string and I liked the brightness of it quite a bit.
I play bass and I recently switched to flatwounds so I doubt I'll be changing them for a while. But I do buy online.
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Quote by thisguythereyea
Buy elixirs. They last longer and are worth the extra moneyz.

The only coated strings that don't suck (and are actually really good) are D'Addario EXPs. I was so happy when they came out with the electric versions, since I adore the acoustic ones. They delivered.
Quote by Holy Katana
The only coated strings that don't suck (and are actually really good) are D'Addario EXPs. I was so happy when they came out with the electric versions, since I adore the acoustic ones. They delivered.

This.
Quote by axethrower13
Well, I AM the local music shop, so I just get my shit at cost. I use D'Addario EXP Phosphor Bronze lights on my acoustic and D'Addario EXP nickel wound lights on my electric.

Although the set before last on my acoustic I used an 80/20 string and I liked the brightness of it quite a bit.

I love the D'Addario EXP's, I use them almost exclusively, the best coated strings on the market to date. I've never broken a single one.

^ Bass strings are way to expensive to just change every few months or so, $40 for a standard 4 string set, not happening.
Quote by ethan_hanus
I love the D'Addario EXP's, I use them almost exclusively, the best coated strings on the market to date. I've never broken a single one.

^ Bass strings are way to expensive to just change every few months or so, $40 for a standard 4 string set, not happening.

Bass strings don't have to be changed every few months though.

I ordered a couple 3 set packs of d'addario 10's, i think it was about £10 and a whole bunch of Harley Benton value strings 10's they are called from thomann when I ordered a bunch of stuff.

The value strings were about 81 pence a pack when I ordered them and they are actually pretty good, I throw them on my cheaper practise guitar and have them as backup strings if I break one as each string is in its own sealed bag. Pretty sensible logic IMO
Mesa/Boogie Studio Pre | Marshall EL34 50/50 Power | Harley Benton 2x12 V30's

How do you like, your mids in the morning?
Quote by MegadethFan18

Depends on the type of string:
A set of nickle rounds usually last about 2-3 months, steels under 2 mos.
You can put a pair of flats on and leave them for four decades.

It's not hard to get bass strings for under $15 a set if you buy multipacks and/or wait for good deals. Daddario always has pretty cheap two packs.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Jul 14, 2011,
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Depends on the type of string:
A set of nickle rounds usually last about 2-3 months, steels under 2 mos.
You can put a pair of flats on and leave them for four decades.

It's not hard to get bass strings for under $15 a set if you buy multipacks and/or wait for good deals. Daddario always has pretty cheap two packs.

I had some steel rounds on my bass for a little over 2 years and they still sounded pretty good when I swapped them for flats.
When I used nickel rounds I found they didn't last as long as my steels.

Quote by Vampire 255
I had some steel rounds on my bass for a little over 2 years and they still sounded pretty good when I swapped them for flats.

Steels sound good for a long time mellowed out, they just don't have the hardcore "zing" that is the steel sound a lot of people buy them for IME.
D'Addarios all round.
Wouldn't like to speculate how much I spend yearly...but I'd hazard a guess somewhere around £50-60. I don't change them that often tbh, only when the tone gets so dull you can barely make out notes.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Steels sound good for a long time mellowed out, they just don't have the hardcore "zing" that is the steel sound a lot of people buy them for IME.

Ah, okay. I tend to prefer strings when they're a bit worn.

Quote by Vampire 255

I've had nickle wounds on my bass for a little over 5 months now, and they still look new.
Quote by PanamaJack666

I bought 3 sets of Ernie Ball's ( Balls) off e-bay for £12 quid delivered, that's like $250,000 USD or something?

wat... no lol
Tick tock and waiting for the meteor
This clock is opening another door
Quote by ethan_hanus
I've had nickle wounds on my bass for a little over 5 months now, and they still look new.

Yeah, I said they didn't last as long as my steels. Not they didn't last long at all.

Jesus TS, those prices are expensive both ways, Ernie Balls typically go for 3 quid or whatever the conversion would be around here.

I buy DR strings for $6 USD/pack maybe twice a year lol, they last FOREVER
Quote by ethan_hanus
They most defiantly are not. Round wounds sound nothing like flat wounds, simi wound sound nothing like nickle wound, stainless steel wound sound nothing like nickle steel... and so on and so fourth...

Your mind would be blown at the differences in tone.

Trust me I wouldn't! My mind wouldn't know the difference, I don't have a good tone ear at all. My idea of the best tone EVER is a "liquidy" sounding one like Rocky Georege had in ST or Malmsteen's tone in Far Beyond The Sun.

WExALLxSHINExON, thats amazing, are the strings normal priced or do they push them up to compensate?
Last edited by MegadethFan18 at Jul 14, 2011,
Page 1 of 2