Page 1 of 2
Hi everyone,

So, it may be a silly question but... why are concerts that much loud ?
When you go to a concert (at least that's what I do) you better bring your earplugs. Otherwise it'd be too loud and you can't fully enjoy the music. It may also damage your ears.
So why don't they just put the volume at a correct level ?
Last edited by MattyPS at Jul 14, 2011,
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I'm cockblocked regularly by my appearance and personality.
Because everyone has to hear the band. If they turned the volume down, it would make it hard for people in the back to hear.
Quote by Ville Valo
Hurting Linde is like hurting Bambi. You just can't do it.

You should click on those, I think.

I like My Little Pony. Come at me, bro.
People absorb sound. They raise the volume levels to counter this problem.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Because if its too quiet then peoples heads cant explode from the awesomeness/utter failure, depending on whos playing
Clapton is god, accept it.
In addition to the logical responses everyone made of hearing and bodies absorbing sound, it just SOUNDS better loud. There's more air moving and some people really like to feel it disrupting their internal organs.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
There is a happy medium and a good band knows this. I have seen shows in big arenas and amphitheaters (Rush twice and Pearl Jam) and it was loud but not ridiculous. However, I seen Alter Bridge at a little venue in Knoxville and I was very close to the stage and the opening bands where actually too loud. The sound was clipping out it was so loud. I was right next to the speaker wall on the right of the stage so my right ear was ringing for about 4 days.
Quote by Survivalism
The Dual Rectifier is my sexy finishing move.

Quote by Survivalism
Nobody knows the words to Evenflow, they all just go "bramamamamamamamamaamamamabooowwllofcornflakes"
I know what you mean, it irks me when the volume is way to loud for the venue.
Last edited by So-Cal at Jul 14, 2011,
You have to sufficiently damage your ears first. Go a couple of times without earplugs, stand right next to the speakers, and you'll be set.

*trollface.jpg*
When some stranger on the internet says it is so, it must be so.
Quote by K Reyn
If it's too loud you're too old.

What. Sometimes the pit has just the most stupid understanding of the world and logic.

I agree though, some gigs it's just - why is this so loud? To the extent i've been at the back, and it's just unpleasant.

I don't want to bring ear plugs, but i don't want to be deafened. I agree that it can sound amazing loud, but - it doesn't have to be deafening. Loud at the right level, not above it.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Dude, the louder the better

If you can hear the crowd sing along and the singer it is perfect.
have you ever played a rock or metal song at a low volume? BORING!

Check out my band! Endeavor

Fender American Deluxe Telecaster (little 59')
Peavey 5150 II
Orange PPC412
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Monster Power Pro 900
Korg Pitchblack Pro
Sennheiser EW 172 Wireless
Carvin 6 space rack
If they have the volume at what would be considered "normal", the crowd would end up hearing themselves with no music. Not only that, but everyone at the venue needs to be able to hear what's being played well. Unless they find a way to play softer so everyone can still hear the music over themselves, have fun with your ear plugs.
Some people just wanna watch the world burn. Wanna join me when I take my turn to pour the gas, light the match, see your world flip upside down and drop until it's inside out?
You don't want to not be able to hear the band because of the crowd... at one of my gigs a few weeks ago the crowd was too loud for my guitar solo.. i wish the whole band was a little louder and we were quite loud...
I'm loving the responses here but I have to agree with them being too loud. Go to a jazz gig and it's at a nice volume. Everyone can hear it, and you can talk to people during without disrupting anything, and it becomes much more intimate. You'll notice this in any jazz video where there's a brilliant solo, and the crowd claps, and you can hear them. You wouldn't be able to hear the crowd clapping/yelling during a LOG show.

That said though, I always thought it was because metal isn't much of an 'intimate' performance, and more of a 'bust your face' thing, so it makes a lot of sense to just throttle people with sound.
Quote by Weaponized
Dude, the louder the better

If you can hear the crowd sing along and the singer it is perfect.

I wanna kill the crowd when they sing along. It's like... you sons of bitches, I'm not paying you to sing.

It's like that episode of the Simpsons where they're at Spinal Tap's concert, and so everyone is standing and cheering. But Otto is sitting there yelling at them to sit down cause they're ruining it for everybody. I'm like Otto.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I wanna kill the crowd when they sing along. It's like... you sons of bitches, I'm not paying you to sing.

It's like that episode of the Simpsons where they're at Spinal Tap's concert, and so everyone is standing and cheering. But Otto is sitting there yelling at them to sit down cause they're ruining it for everybody. I'm like Otto.

If I want a crowd free listening experience I stick on a CD.

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
Quote by IYanoplathizoI

A lot of the shows I go to involve improv.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Fair stuff.

I suppose at something like (but not at all limited to, only a similar situation) a jazz concert would suck to have a load of drunk idiots wailing :P

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
Quote by Artemis Entreri
In addition to the logical responses everyone made of hearing and bodies absorbing sound, it just SOUNDS better loud. There's more air moving and some people really like to feel it disrupting their internal organs.

Unless you're in a bar or a small venue where cranking it up makes it impossible to get the levels right, then bands that might have sounded decent sound like a muddy, incomprehensible mess. Hell, I've even heard it happen in medium sized venues with big acts--who needs to hear the vox anyway right?

The proper volume level depends on the venue (as I just mentioned), the band, and the genre the band plays.

For example, quieter stage volume= tighter band = better listening experience most of the time. If the stage volume is loud enough to reaaaly bleed out into FOH (in a decent sized venue), the band has a pretty good chance of sounding sloppy. Of course that's not a bad thing if I'm listening to some sludgy stoner rock or some punk, I just don't want it if I'm listening to classic rock or an indie band with a dozen musicians in it.

Quote by SilverSpurs616
It's like listening to Lamb of God at a low volume on your iPod. It just doesn't have the same "OOMPH!"

Maybe I'm missing a joke, but anyone who likes the sound of a cranked ipod loses the right to give advice on what sounds good. OOMPH= harsh treble and a ton of clipping.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Jul 14, 2011,
Quote by -Annihilation-
Because everyone has to hear the band. If they turned the volume down, it would make it hard for people in the back to hear.
They should have thought of that when buying cheaper tickets.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: Chick Corea, Yes, Genesis, Jethro Tull

It is I, the mighty shitkicker, as prophesied by JustRooster. Obey me.
I'm not sure how much this counts for, but have you ever been to a show where you can actually feel the music? In my opinion, it's a part of the experience.
Quote by Kamikaze1014
drums are loud

the rest of the band has to be loud in order to be heard. that's my expirience at least

Drums are as dynamic an instrument as anything else
Besides, well-aimed or in ear monitors can let everyone hear without a lot of volume, and no extra volume going toward the audience.
Well, sometimes they have more speakers halfway through the standing room in stadiums that the people in the back can hear as well. If both sets of speakers are at a reasonable level, then it would still make sense.
Quote by fleajr_1412
People absorb sound.

Yeah, cause all the sound goes in their ears.

Quote by Bill43

I wouldn't know an Opeth song from an Egg McMuffin
Quote by IYanoplathizoI

exactly. some bands even have parts where they let the crowd sing like the chorus of a song (megadeth did this with 'a tout le monde' and 'peace sells' when i saw them). if the crowd didn't sing, then it would just be an awkward moment for everyone lol
Quote by SilverSpurs616
It's like listening to Lamb of God at a low volume on your iPod. It just doesn't have the same "OOMPH!"

but it still has the annoyance and lack of music
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Last edited by JimmyBanks6 at Jul 14, 2011,
Quote by MattyPS

When you go to a concert (at least that's what I do) you better bring your earplugs. Otherwise it'd be too loud and you can't fully enjoy the music. It may also damage your ears.

You're saying that earplugs do not severely harm the music? You're a character.

Quote by Wolfinator-x
They should have thought of that when buying cheaper tickets.

Yeah all the 60 000 should stand at the front row.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by JohnnyGenzale

You're saying that earplugs do not severely harm the music? You're a character.

If you spend $20 on an ok pair, you get pretty even attenuation. I wouldn't say it's "severe," it's still far less than ideal though.

Quote by JohnnyGenzale

Yeah all the 60 000 should stand at the front row.

Any place that big is going to have a nice line array system up front and staggered speakers throughout the venue to get some pretty even volume everywhere past the first rows.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Jul 14, 2011,
Quote by dullsilver_mike
If you spend $20 on an ok pair, you get pretty even attenuation. I wouldn't say it's "severe," it's still far less than ideal though.

I prefer it being loud and unfiltered to cloggin my ears and getting that vacuum sound and isolation ear plugs give. But I never suffer from the music being too loud.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Page 1 of 2