I wanted to get your opinion on what makes you a beginner, intermediate, and "expert".

Let's be realistic, and being a beginner sucks. Also the amount of beginner material and suggestions can be down right scary. When should a beginner move up to intermediate lessons. What would you say are the bare minimum requirements (chord changes, speed, scales memorized).

I posted in the electric guitar section because I assume that the information differs between acoustic/electric. Is that true? Obviously the more skills under the belt the better off you are?

So what's your take, or what's your experience?
Epiphone LP100 (Ebony)
Peavey Vypyr 75
For me....its not just playing things extensivley but knowing what your playing and how all he notes work together to sound pleasing
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
A beginner is definitely just getting the hang of things, i would say intermediate is when you start mastering more difficult techniques and becomin more fluid with the guitar. Expert? i would say is when you have the technique all down but also as theperson above said, you understand the music you are playing and how to make it, not just reproduce it
I think one's skill is determined by how much musical knowledge one can use to play and in how many ways.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
probably the complexity of what you can play, your fluidity and just how comfortable you are with guitar.

basically look at the tabs here.....when you can comfortably play a full song that says "intermediate" you are about at an intermediate level...and if you can do this you should also by then be able to improvise, listen, etc
How well you can compose. How well you can structure a song, how accurately you can play that song, the techniques you use in that song, and the dynamics of that song.

Playing something somebody else wrote doesn't tell me someone's skill as a musician, it just tells me they are good at playing other people's songs.
The concept of "skill level" is completely arbitrary. It's whatever you say it is. Rather than worry about how well you match someone's definition of "beginner", "intermediate", or "advanced", focus on your own playing. If you can play the music you want to comfortably or are approaching that point, another person's concept of mastery doesn't need worry you.
1st response - good understanding of theory
2nd response - technical skills
3rd response - theory knowledge
4th response - technical skills

did we just achieved the balance of technique and knowledge?

as for guitar tabs on this site, intermediate=/=intermediate. You could see Metallica song listed as intermediate and a Necrophagist song listed as intermediate, no need to explain which one is harder

as i would describe:

beginner - getting the hang of things, up to fluid strumming, alternate picking at arround 120bmp, basic theory (constructing major/relative minor scales, triads)

intermediate - fairly good at what he/she is doing, cant catch "off guard", so to say, with theory, has understanding of how notes interact with each other, tension/release, cadences etc. while maybe unable to apply everything (modes come to mind), but at least heard a thing or two about all aspects of theory (includes stuff like voice leading etc.), 160bmp+, decent arpeggio technique (sweeping and/or string skipping and/or 8 finger tapping

expert - definition in itself, capable to see a sheet of music and play whats written, pretty much flawless technique and deep theory knowledge
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
For me the difference between a beginner and an intermediate level guitar player is the fact that a beginner will sound like a beginner. It's hard to explain, but when you listen to a beginner, you can tell they are a beginner. Their rhythm is off, their note articulations are weak, their tone hurts your ears, notes aren't clear, and so much more. With time though all of that goes away, and by then they'll be on an intermediate level. At least that was how it was for me. The day that the songs and covers that I played actually sounded like the songs, and not some 14 year old kid raping the guitar (in a bad way) was the day I really felt like a decent guitarist.

Although there are so many factors that determine skill level though. You can have a musician with years of experience playing other instruments, with a firm grasp of theory and such, but if they just picked up the guitar they are still a beginner at guitar. You could also have someone who is amazing at guitar technique wise, but on a musical level you would say they are a "beginner". It really depends. I think a balance of both is required to truly be on an advanced level.
Last edited by zincabopataurio at Jul 14, 2011,
I don't really want to guage my skill off of tabs though. Imo that's just muscle memory, and I'm just playing someone else's skill level. I mean on a personal level.

My goal is to create music, not perform it. Don't get me wrong I do learn tabs, I don't however say I'm a better guitarist because I can.
Epiphone LP100 (Ebony)
Peavey Vypyr 75
Nothing. Everything.

It doesn't matter anyway, screw it and just play.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Nothing. Everything.

This, I believe, is true. And I live by it.
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Nothing. Everything.

Dude is right.. just play.. you'll know if you are an expert or intermediate..
Giving myself a title isn't really what I'm interested. I guess I worded my post wrong.

Basically I was wondering WHEN I should take on greater tasks. For example the person above who said... 120 bpm. Milestones/goal setting I suppose is what I mean. Obviously this too is relative to the person, but there has to be something more specific than "master" then move on. Thanks for the responses though.

Bottom line is i've been playing about 2 months, without an amp. It comes tomorrow, and I'm sure it should really open my "path" up a little better. I :-)
Epiphone LP100 (Ebony)
Peavey Vypyr 75
Quote by sheepdawg
Giving myself a title isn't really what I'm interested. I guess I worded my post wrong.

Basically I was wondering WHEN I should take on greater tasks. For example the person above who said... 120 bpm. Milestones/goal setting I suppose is what I mean. Obviously this too is relative to the person, but there has to be something more specific than "master" then move on. Thanks for the responses though.

Bottom line is i've been playing about 2 months, without an amp. It comes tomorrow, and I'm sure it should really open my "path" up a little better. I :-)

Forget about "bpm", those are meaningless numbers.

The simple answer is you should always be taking on "greater" tasks....because everything you don't know falls into that category. Regardless of how "good" you get at the guitar you can always do something better, and as far as songs and stuff go there's always something that's just a little harder than what you're comfortable with.

You're not going to make big jumps in ability, it doesn't work that way. You progress gradually. Also guitar is a killer for diminishing returns - the better you get at it the more work you have to put in for less improvement.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com