has anyone used this on their strings after playing and if so does it bring out that new sound in your strings? would one just spray ona cloth an just wipe off the strings?
Quote by ethan_hanus
For Christs sake, do not use WD-40 anywhere near your acoustic guitar, it will do alot of damage to the wood, hence, WATER DISPLACEMENT-40, it'll screw it up bad.

Get something like Dunlop's fast fret.

I'm with this guy.
It's like using drain cleaner to cure indigestion.
did you not read his post? he's asking if he can put it on a cloth and just wipe the strings with it, not if he can spray the whole damn guitar with it.
TS, I have no idea if that'll have any effect on the strings, but I see how you reasoned it out, it works on rust, so it should work on other oxides, but that's dangerous thinking, try to search on google if you can use it with the metal your strings are made of.
Quote by guitaro69
thanks Mighty Thor!!!!

Your throne awaits!

Put this in your sig if The Rake scared the living **** out of you.
Quote by mitythor666
did you not read his post? he's asking if he can put it on a cloth and just wipe the strings with it, not if he can spray the whole damn guitar with it.
TS, I have no idea if that'll have any effect on the strings, but I see how you reasoned it out, it works on rust, so it should work on other oxides, but that's dangerous thinking, try to search on google if you can use it with the metal your strings are made of.

Erm, doesn't' matter, you don't want WD-40 to even be in the same room as your acoustic guitar, let alone on the strings. I mean, if you take the strings off, and go into another room, and wipe em down, maybe, but you best be sure you got all the WD-40 off.

WD-40 will suck all the moisture out of the guitar, and you won't be able to get it back in, thus leaving damage marks which look like stains. It's some nasty stuff when it comes to wood, it'll dry it out quick. It's just not worth the risk.

Use this, it'll last you for years, and works way better than WD-40.
http://www.amazon.com/GHS-A87-Fast-Fret-String-Cleaner/dp/B0002D0CQC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310669857&sr=8-1
Howard Roberts, the jazz guitarist, used to put newspapers under his strings and spray 'em on down with the stuff..... Said it got rid of skin oils and such.

I doubt it's as toxic to guitars as indicated above; it's essentially a very light oil (think, kerosene) in a volatile "vehicle" which evaporates. I use tons of it for rebuilding bicycles, but I don't apply it to my guitar...
I also doubt it's much better than just wiping down your strings frequently with a soft cloth. That will remove most of the skin oil and pose no threat to the instrument.
Sounds like an awful idea to me. Strings are cheap, buddy. I'd recommend you trim your budget elsewhere.
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.