I know, time old discussion, but I'd appreciate advice.

I've got an old US Jazz Bass I rarely use these days and I'm looking to turn it into a Fretless. I know the obvious option is to de-fret the thing, but that process does slightly scare me and I'm not certain how it would work/sound afterwards. So, I'm considering replacing the neck with a neck from Warmoth. Does anyone have experience with doing this? Is it a valid option/good idea? Do you have any other suggestions?

Cheers guy, as always I appreciate your advice.
yeah don't take your frets out, I'm not sure that would affect a bass that much, but you'd be better off replacing the neck

what do you want a fretless bass for anyway? unless you've played for quite a while with a professionally made fretless, the transition can be quite messy, and have you playing the wrong notes and being quite sloppy
I think that post just gave me cancer.

If you have a "spare" US Jazz Bass you sell it. Don't potentially ruin it by bodging defret job. The neck is, by far, the most valuable part of a US Fender.

However, to anyone interested in defretting bass that is worth less than £150, i.e. the only time it's worth doing:

1. Get a soldering iron, fine chisel and pliers.
2. Use the soldering iron to heat up the fret to soften the glue, if there is any
3. Use the chisel and pliers to GENTLY ease the fret out.
4. Repeat.
5. Use woodfiller to fill in the gaps.
6. Use very fine sandpaper to even out the fingerboard and get rid of excess wood filler.
7. Optional: Use a dark would stain if you want an unlined look.
8. Optional: If you want to use rounds, apply around ten very thin coats of wood varnish to the fingerboard.

Yes, I have done this several times in the past. I have regretted it each time, not that I did a bad job.
I considered selling it for a while, but it was the first bass I saved up for myself and bought. It's a 92 J-Plus, I don't get a lot of use out of it since I upgraded to a 5 string a few years ago. I did say I don't want to defret it, that was just an option. I'm much more interested in replacing the neck and keeping this neck 'on ice' for a while, and having never done anything like just needed a bit of advice is all!

L.T Kickass: I just love that fretless sound, man. I understand it'll be a huge challenge switching to fretless, but I intend to take lessons over an extended period of time to ease myself into it. I think the challenge will be good for me too, my bass playing has been kind of static lately and I've found myself playing guitar in my band much more frequently than I play bass for them...horror of horrors.
Quote by RJayZ
I considered selling it for a while, but it was the first bass I saved up for myself and bought. It's a 92 J-Plus, I don't get a lot of use out of it since I upgraded to a 5 string a few years ago. I did say I don't want to defret it, that was just an option. I'm much more interested in replacing the neck and keeping this neck 'on ice' for a while, and having never done anything like just needed a bit of advice is all!

L.T Kickass: I just love that fretless sound, man. I understand it'll be a huge challenge switching to fretless, but I intend to take lessons over an extended period of time to ease myself into it. I think the challenge will be good for me too, my bass playing has been kind of static lately and I've found myself playing guitar in my band much more frequently than I play bass for them...horror of horrors.

If you've played bass for awhile and can hear if you're a little flat or sharp then its an awesome idea! I recently started messing around w fretless and its fun! Its like starting all over again but knowing everything about it watch some Steve Bailey, you'll be inspired.
Yeah I've played for coming up to 6 years, I'm confident I'll be able to adapt! Steve Bailey is an incredible bassist, chops for days. Something that really inspired me recently is the bass on Gary Numan's I, Assassin album. Such fantastic grooves and playing, beautiful fretless tone.
And so it begins...
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Spaz91
Would this be a good time to point out that not only do I have a fretless jazz neck for sale but I'm also only 40 miles away?

Planting seeds of doubt in his mind with your first post and then waiting for the perfect moment to rope him in to buy your neck.... crafty.