Poll: Do you think that humans will evolve further?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you think that humans will evolve further?
Yes
117 84%
No
22 16%
Voters: 139.
Page 1 of 3
Pit, what do you think of the current state of human evolution? Do you believe that we are the ultimate step in mammalian evolution in this planet, or do you think humans will evolve further (inb4 Pokemon evolution jokes lolo), either in mind or body?

I foresee a serious change in our food system in the next 100 years, at least in terms of letting go of conventional means of eating (vegetables, fruits, agriculture). I wonder if that will have an effect on us.

Discuss, post cool articles, etc.

Poll coming in a second.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Of course. If you think any other way, you honestly don't understand evolution.
Yes? Or we die out.

But if we don't die, yes. There is no "paramount" of evolution, life is ever changing.
I believe we will evolve further as a species, body wise. Our brains are a perfect size for our bodies.

Not sure how else our brains could develop further, or do you mean some "spiritual" sense?
Quote by severed-metal
Not sure how else our brains could develop further

Psychic powers, mang
WARUM TUT ES WEH, WENN ICH PINKLE?!
Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."

Quote by Axelfox
Disregard that,i suck cocks.
Of course, forcing evolution (modifying our genome) is a valid step too.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
We're always evolving. It took billions of years to get where we are now, and we've only been in the state that we recognise for several thousand. In the short term, we just change genetics and become immune to certain diseases etc.
I think X-Men had it right. I think people will start having random powers and there will be a sort of race war.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Quote by ethan_hanus
I forsee we turn back into the green goo from the center of the Earth from wench we evolved from.

You mean "whence"? hahaha
Quote by Vendetta16
Psychic powers, mang

James Randi would then have to retire, and we can't have that, now can we?
Quote by blake1221
You mean "whence"? hahaha

Nope, the green go came from a wench, don't you guys read Darwin?
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Think of it like this- An apple tree grows. We are pretty much at the point where the apples are just starting to ripen. The tree either dies, or keeps on growing and getting bigger and better.
Less brain capacity due to information being readily available anywhere at all times, less physical capacity due to more transportation and communication conveniences. The future of humanity looks pretty bright dont it?
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

It is literally inevitable.
Quote by Rust_in_Peace34
Less brain capacity due to information being readily available anywhere at all times, less physical capacity due to more transportation and communication conveniences. The future of humanity looks pretty bright dont it?

Stuff doesn't just go away. There needs to be a pressure for natural selection to occur.
Last edited by captaincrunk at Jul 14, 2011,
I knew a realist would come and rain on our parade.
BEWARE THE BANANA ARMY.

I SAY, I SAY, BEWARE THE BANANA ARMY.

They say when they finally attack, all the impostors will peel themselves. In order to tell if you have been assimilated, check for a zipper somewhere near your pelvis.

From what I've seen on reality tv I'm fairly sure there are some members of society that are devolving into a more primitive species...
Race war eh? Would I get banned for posting the scene from In Bruges, seeing as it contains hookers doing coke and violence towards little people?
Hahahahahahahahahah hahahaha har har har
We are always in a state of evolution.
Take wisdom teeth for example. Something like 35% (blame wiki if thats wrong) of the population doesn't have them. Its an evolutionary change. We are slowly getting rid of them.
ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by jmonko at Jul 14, 2011,
If you believe we are the end goal of evolution you are just as deluded as creationists.
It will take a while for us to evolve further, but it's an incredibly strong process and will likely occur despite our cultural responses to most natural selective pressures.

Some guy wrote something on people evolving into two species: One which is full of incredibly good looking, intelligent, strong individuals, and a species of unsightly, stupid, fat people. It's an incredibly prosperous idea, but thinking about something like that could give you insight on how the human population could evolve further given our current scenario.
Last edited by SeveralSpecies at Jul 14, 2011,
Quote by darkstar2466
Pit, what do you think of the current state of human evolution? Do you believe that we are the ultimate step in mammalian evolution in this planet, or do you think humans will evolve further (inb4 Pokemon evolution jokes lolo), either in mind or body?

I foresee a serious change in our food system in the next 100 years, at least in terms of letting go of conventional means of eating (vegetables, fruits, agriculture). I wonder if that will have an effect on us.

Discuss, post cool articles, etc.

Poll coming in a second.

lolol
Quote by Mudmen190
lolol

Why do you lol, good sir?
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
We'll evolve to very similar skin colors most likely before anything else.
The lake was silent for some time. Finally it said:
"I weep for Narcissus, but I never noticed that Narcissus was beautiful. I weep because, each time he knelt beside my banks, I could see, in the depths of his eyes, my own beauty reflected."

This guy thinks so.
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
ITT - people don't understand what evolution is.
Hahahahahahahahahah hahahaha har har har
Quote by darkstar2466
Why do you lol, good sir?

I'm an elitist asshole? Jesus, man...
4srsly, evolution is gradual, not in steps, and evolution does not occur significantly in 100 years.
Quote by Mudmen190
4srsly, evolution is gradual, not in steps, and evolution does not occur significantly in 100 years.

Wow.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by Mudmen190

Not necessarily. Evolution can occur in bursts. It's not always just a steady, long drawn out process. Though typically, it doesn't occur THAT fast.

ie: Punctuated Equilibrium.
Of course, we can always evolve. When our environment starts going out of whack, the ones who get the mutations to survive will survive, those who don't, die. Then they reproduce and the traits are passed. Natural selection and Evolution.
Quote by McTodd
ITT - people don't understand what evolution is.

Go on
The lake was silent for some time. Finally it said:
"I weep for Narcissus, but I never noticed that Narcissus was beautiful. I weep because, each time he knelt beside my banks, I could see, in the depths of his eyes, my own beauty reflected."
Quote by SeveralSpecies
It will take a while for us to evolve further, but it's an incredibly strong process and will likely occur despite our cultural responses to most natural selective pressures.

Some guy wrote something on people evolving into two species: One which is full of incredibly good looking, intelligent, strong individuals, and a species of unsightly, stupid, fat people. It's an incredibly prosperous idea, but thinking about something like that could give you insight on how the human population could evolve further given our current scenario.

Thanks SS, that's the kind of discussion I was expecting. I do agree with the previous +1s in people not understanding evolution, in which case this discussion opens up a lot of unfounded opinion, but it's still a good starting point.

We know that we are set to see the following:

- an increase in global population by 50% by 2050.
http://www.un.org/esa/population/publications/longrange2/WorldPop2300final.pdf

- a strong decrease in the available resources per person. (especially as we try to bring more and more humans to modernity)

These two factors are big enough catalysts to cause some serious change. 10 billion people trying to live like middle-class Americans is not feasible.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by captaincrunk
Stuff doesn't just go away. There needs to be a pressure for natural selection to occur.

Cave-dwelling organisms often lose their eyes and skin pigment. It's better for the organism to reallocate resources than to use them on something they're not using.

And the human brain has shrunk over the last 5,000 years.
http://www.livescience.com/7971-humans-evolving-brains-shrink.html
Quote by melton100
Cave-dwelling organisms often lose their eyes and skin pigment. It's better for the organism to reallocate resources than to use them on something they're not using.

And the human brain has shrunk over the last 5,000 years.
http://www.livescience.com/7971-humans-evolving-brains-shrink.html

Yes, that's his point. Caves contain selective pressures that would make mutations leading to lack of eyes/skin pigment (and thus, less energy expenditure) would be beneficial. The eyes and skin pigment didnt just go away. It evolved away.
Oh, brother. I think you're cracked.

Consider this. Even several prominent scientists have forsaken the "religion" of evolution. Evolutionary theory has so many holes in it and lies attached to it that it's a wonder people even believe it.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Oh, brother. I think you're cracked.

Consider this. Even several prominent scientists have forsaken the "religion" of evolution. Evolutionary theory has so many holes in it and lies attached to it that it's a wonder people even believe it.

not sure if srs.

if so, give me examples of said holes, pl0x

edit: vv They refuse to move out.
Last edited by SeveralSpecies at Jul 14, 2011,
Evolution does not exist. Why are there still monkeys left if we evolved from them? Huh?
Explain that evolutionists.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Page 1 of 3