Hey everyone

You get these threads alot, so one more won't hurt.

I'm 20 years old now, and all i've ever wanted from life was to be a touring musician in a band. I don't care about success (cliche i know), i just care about playing music, enjoying life and having a bed to sleep in every night.

My problem is that i cannot find potential band members anywhere, i used to live in North London (Haringey) and if you don't know it's a very hip hop/urban orientated area, all of my friends live there and don't play instruments so i've no-one to play with.

I now live on the border of London in Hertfordshire, i don't know anyone here and to be honest i don't do much here as i still hang out alot in my old area. I've tried putting ads out, checking in the guitar shop, responding to ads, applying for work in recording studios/shops etc and nothing.

So for the past few months i've just let fate decide what to do with me, hoping it'd throw some bandmates in my direction. it might surprise you that that didn't work either

I guess i'm just asking for advice, i'm so bored of having a mundane life and want to be in a band that's all there is to it to be honest. I don't know what direction to go in anymore and feel a little down about it, just waking up everyday without playing music with people is horrible for me.

Any tips, advice or even your own personal experiences would be great.

Thank you

Edit: If it makes any difference, i'm specifically looking for just a bassist and a drummer as i'm comfortable doing lead and vocals.
There's riddles in the shadows
They're thrown the way that i'd expect
And people never seem to know
What they least suspect is coming next
Last edited by M_G at Jul 14, 2011,
try doing a bit of solo work
at least then youre playing music and you might find other people to play with im sure theres someone around you who wants to play music in a band

btw im trying this solos thing atm diong some slolo blues and jazz stuff and i got a few offers after my first gig
not my thing(ska) but hey if i got an offer im sure you can find something too
Last edited by supersac at Jul 14, 2011,
Go to uni, or make friends at a uni, and trawl open mic nights. There's plenty of bandmates, and they're all trying to be in bands just like you, you just need to go to the right places. I used to run an open mic night, and you'd have been most welcome, but sadly no more.

And I'd invite you to join my band, but I've no idea who you are.
Hahahahahahahahahah hahahaha har har har
This is one of those 'why didn't i think of that' moments, open mic nights hadn't even crossed my mind i'll have to look into it and see if there's any local.

The solo work is a nice idea, i've experimented with it but i'm more the type of person who enjoys having chemistry between musicians if you know what i mean.
Write some acoustic songs and hit up the open mic nights. You can do that by yourself, find potential band mates, and pick up girls! Its win-win.
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
Oh and just to add in a little anecdote, i once arranged to meet up with a bassist who had advertised online, on the phone i told him i play left handed and he told me 'oh, i'm sorry but you're not what i'm looking for'.

Right great luck i have
Quote by M_G
Oh and just to add in a little anecdote, i once arranged to meet up with a bassist who had advertised online, on the phone i told him i play left handed and he told me 'oh, i'm sorry but you're not what i'm looking for'.

Right great luck i have

us lefties are always discriminated against
i try not to mention it ever til after they seema skillz
but seriously that blows
Quote by supersac
us lefties are always discriminated against
i try not to mention it ever til after they seema skillz
but seriously that blows

A lil off topic here but i've just seen you live in california, do you have problems finding musicians? Or is it just like the movies where there's a musician in every corner?
Okay... let's deconstruct this a little.

Let's say I lived in London, UK.

1. Aside from ads you've placed in music shops, how would I know you exist? You need to get yourself out there. Open mics is a good suggestion. Just being active in the community is important. Go out to gigs. Maybe I'll meet you there. Become part of the scene. Do *something* - be part of *something* that will help my circle and your circle intersect.

2. Let's say I'm looking for a guitar player and I find your ad or I hear something about you through a friend. Hell, guitar players are a dime a dozen. What are you doing, or what can you do, or what have you done that will separate you from the next 1000 guitar players? Even though I know you exist, why should I care that you're out there? What do you have to offer ME? Really... if I know a dozen guitar players already, why would I call *you*? Do something or offer something to separate yourself from the others, and to make yourself not only desirable, but indispensable.

Answer these, and you'll be well on your way.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Thinking on it, the number of times where I've seen bands reach outside their immediate friends or acquaintances to find a guitarist, or indeed where I've thought of doing the same are close to if not zero. Not once, ever. Everybody knows at least on guitarist, no matter who they are. So yes, Axemanchris is right once more. You just have to put yourself out there, aggressively. Go get em'.
Quote by Cowless
Thinking on it, the number of times where I've seen bands reach outside their immediate friends or acquaintances to find a guitarist, or indeed where I've thought of doing the same are close to if not zero. Not once, ever. Everybody knows at least on guitarist, no matter who they are. So yes, Axemanchris is right once more. You just have to put yourself out there, aggressively. Go get em'.

The situations range dude. Sometimes you get references, sometimes you don't. How often are jobs given to the son of the owner or their friends? Probably 50%. Same goes for bands. If you can prove you're the best for the job you're going to get it.

However if you have problems finding a musician in London, well you're obviously looking in the wrong places.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Thank you everyone, especially you axeman chris.

My main problem is that as i said i come from an extremely urban area, ALL of my friends spend their time listening to hip hop, rap etc which is great, but no for me. I have literally no-one to attend gigs with, and perhaps it's an issue i need to deal with but i feel i'd be a bit of a loner attending gigs by myself, would you want to form a band with a guitarist you met at a gig who was by himself and didn't know anyone?

There's no circle of people in my area who play music etc. I have to stress and i don't want this to come across as racist, but nearly everyone where i live is black, and without stereotyping too much it's rare that you get a black guy who plays and instrument and listens to rock music. All of my friends are black, none of them play any instruments, and the nearest guitar shop is miles away. The ONLY music experience i get is when a friend of a friend will hear that i play guitar, and will want me to lay down a basic track on a backing track they are working on, though this is rare.

I'm probably coming off as being lazy, i'm not. I have tried and i'm finding it really hard.
Last edited by M_G at Jul 15, 2011,
Look outside your circle of friends then. Seriously, London is the music center of Europe.
Soundcloud
Quote by EyeForgot
Move to New York?

Heh, that'll only make his problems worse! Although, people would think you're cool because you're British, wouldn't they?
Agreed with all who recommend just putting yourself out there more aggressively. Meeting other musicians and hanging out with them at shows/bars/guitar shops can snowball into you befriending a ton of musicians. Try and get out to shows and chat with the bands afterwards, buy them a beer, make friends with people who work at your local guitar shops - many of them are gigging musicians, keep going with posting and replying to ads. Good luck to you.
Quote by axemanchris
Okay... let's deconstruct this a little.

2. Let's say I'm looking for a guitar player and I find your ad or I hear something about you through a friend. Hell, guitar players are a dime a dozen. What are you doing, or what can you do, or what have you done that will separate you from the next 1000 guitar players? Even though I know you exist, why should I care that you're out there? What do you have to offer ME? Really... if I know a dozen guitar players already, why would I call *you*? Do something or offer something to separate yourself from the others, and to make yourself not only desirable, but indispensable.

Answer these, and you'll be well on your way.

CT

Dude, he's not putting in a job application with a resume attached to it. He's a bit down because he's trying to form or join a band, but it's not working out for some reason...Your advice here is totally unhelpful.
Quote by honkytown
Dude, he's not putting in a job application with a resume attached to it. He's a bit down because he's trying to form or join a band, but it's not working out for some reason...Your advice here is totally unhelpful.

Thank you everyone, especially you axeman chris.

Well, looks like OP found it helpful, but hey, you would know better...

Fender MIJ '62 Reissue Telecaster
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Jet City JCA20H
Orange PPC212
ZVex Fuzz Factory
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS-9
Boss DD-7
Digitech Whammy IV
Quote by honkytown

If you expect to get anywhere with music, you have to tackle it professionally like any other job. Play "for the music" all you want, but there are plenty of other guitarists playing the same cliche. If you expect to work with professional musicians, it's a necessity to step up to the plate yourself.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by honkytown

Oh really? Maybe you haven't encountered the process for joining an established band or one with professional members. The process is extremely similar to applying for a job.

Observe:

1. Application. Include job history (bands), skills, recorded works (demonstrated skills).

The people with the best applications make it to:

2. Interview. An audition for prospective members. See how they work with the team.

3. References. Although not always applicable, if you play with enough people you'll eventually end up playing with somebody who has been in a band with another person you've been in a band with before. Generally they'll talk quickly about what you're like.

If all goes well you go to:

4. Offer of position. Comes with a probationary period. If you don't take the offer, or don't do well during the probationary period the next best guy will be contacted.

So that's basically how it goes. If you accuse me (or Chris) of being "too serious", consider the time wasted if we accepted just anybody who showed interest into our bands. It would probably result in us making a whole heap of threads in this forum about awful band members, and then we'd have to moderate ourselves, which is a blatant conflict of interest.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB

So that's basically how it goes. If you accuse me (or Chris) of being "too serious", consider the time wasted if we accepted just anybody who showed interest into our bands. It would probably result in us making a whole heap of threads in this forum about awful band members, and then we'd have to moderate ourselves, which is a blatant conflict of interest.

WIN!

Yeah, how many of those kinds of threads do we get?

I hate my guitar player!
Drummer is unreliable!
We can't agree on what to play!
Band troubles - please help (rant about nobody getting along...)
Bass player can't play bass... guitar player refuses to step down to fill position

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by honkytown

CT