Hey I have recently checked out tabs from bands and I see a lot of them are using powe chords and fast single string picking for rythms. They all use it differently and vary the speed of both single string picking and the power chords.

Of all the tabs I have looked in (kreator, Kataklysm, Arch Enemy) it's only leads and fills that can make a band unique nowadays because rythm guitars are kind of used up since everyone is only using power chords and single string picking (Death Metal got a lot of hyper fast single string picking and blastbeats I must say O.o)

Am I right? If not don't hate on me :/ Everyone's gotta learn O.o
Metal is all about speed, in my opinion. Making metal music, is not an easy challenge. However is not so difficult. The solos are mostly pentatonic/blues scales played super fast, with a lot of bends. That's the simple way of making a metal song. Now there are metal bands who make up new and awesome stuff so...
Love the Guitar
Gear:
- Ibanez SZR520
- Peavey Vypyr 30w
- Alhambra 2C Classical Guitar
- Tortex .88mm/Jazz III 1.38mm
- Elixir Nanoweb Strings (.009)
Quote by Strat'z
Metal is all about speed, in my opinion. Making metal music, is not an easy challenge. However is not so difficult. The solos are mostly pentatonic/blues scales played super fast, with a lot of bends. That's the simple way of making a metal song. Now there are metal bands who make up new and awesome stuff so...

Yeah I see, but there gotta be something more to play as rythm instead of throwing in an lead fill?
Quote by Jesse Clarkson
There is, but apparently these bands don't do it judging by what you're saying.

Hmm ... You know of any bands doing new things?
Okay, thanks :P The heaviest stuff I can listen to is Immortal x) But I don't rally like death metal of various reasons ... Melodic death metal is so much better! Children of Bodom is my favourite band ;D
Well, power chords, tremolo picking and pedal tones are very common in metal, so...
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
It is how it is. I can say most of jazz is boring because they abuse ii V I a lot, now, I dont really listen to it, and thats just an asshole comment, but you see where I'm going. I know that a lot of metal bands just abuse powerchord rhythm but there are plenty that dont. Try looking up Between the buried and me, Scale the summit, Dream theater. They are prog bands, but theyre still metal. Maybe through them you can find what you like
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
Quote by Zinnie
It is how it is. I can say most of jazz is boring because they abuse ii V I a lot, now, I dont really listen to it, and thats just an asshole comment, but you see where I'm going. I know that a lot of metal bands just abuse powerchord rhythm but there are plenty that dont. Try looking up Between the buried and me, Scale the summit, Dream theater. They are prog bands, but theyre still metal. Maybe through them you can find what you like

I have heard of Dream Theater, but never got into prog :P

Anyway since I'm a fan of both melodic death metal and thrash metal I'm working on original material, you see, but I just can't come up with something original when power chords are so used up :/
Quote by zezima940
I have heard of Dream Theater, but never got into prog :P

Anyway since I'm a fan of both melodic death metal and thrash metal I'm working on original material, you see, but I just can't come up with something original when power chords are so used up :/

Then if youre into that, I definitely say look into Between the Buried and Me. Its prog death metal. Very varietied, as they include other genres into the mix. I recommend listening to Selkies or White Walls. Swim to the Moon is my favorite of them, but the first two are what got me into them
Schecter Damien FR
Boss GE-7 EQ
Sigma Dx Acoustic
Quote by zezima940
OKay, I'll get to it then! :P

If you like those, then get the Colors album, notably, based off many opinions, their best album. You have to listen to it in one sitting, its that good haha Ants of the Sky is on that album, as well as White Walls. its a great overall album, definitely give it a shot. you wont be disappoitned
Schecter Damien FR
Boss GE-7 EQ
Sigma Dx Acoustic