Ok...recently I've purchased an sx st57 stratocaster (for 50 euro new i thought it'd be at least worthwhile as a cheap beater guitar for college).. Turns out that the guitar I've recieved is actualy very good o.O I've played loads of fender mexican strats, and I think my cheapo guitar is in the same ballpark of the mexi strat's quality...

well anyways.. Obviously not everything is perfect...the neck is brilliant and the body is good...however tuning stabilty is a bit of...the pickups are good, but i know they can be bettered by far...

So what do ye reckon are the best mods for a strat type guitar??
Nothing crazy...just functional stuff
Fyi, my strat is a 3 single coil guitar, and i'd like to keep it that way
Follow me on twitter!!
@Stuie93

100% Irish and proud

Glory glory Man Utd
GFS tuners possibly? not expensive at all and my sperzel style locking tuners have held up great
GFS pickups, bone nut, GFS are $5

Make the middle tone pot control the bridge pup

and you shoudl add a bridge on switch so you can get the Tele style tone which I personally love for playing blues. It's super chimey and it chirps when you palm mute
The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.
- Carl Sagan
ah sweet, you found the waltons sale too

i'm guessing nut and tuners (locking, i guess) if tuning is a problem. maybe the bridge (one of the cheaper wilkinson ones if they're a direct swap? they're around the £30 mark with a steel block and all).

EDIT: the electronics could probably do with being upgraded, on cheaper guitars they're often where corners are cut. and rewire so the tone control affects the bridge pickup.

maybe even swap pickups, but i wouldn't put too much into it... maybe toneriders or irongear?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Sounds like you'd be good to go with some locking tuners.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Thanks for linking me to the other thread...somehow i didn't come across it :S :L

As for locking tuners...deffo.. I'm thinking of trying out irongear for alot of things (bridge, tuners. pickups).. what's the general consensus quality-wise with these fellas?? I don't know anybody local who's used their stuff, but i've heard a little about them on forums....
Follow me on twitter!!
@Stuie93

100% Irish and proud

Glory glory Man Utd

from what i've heard, the pickups are pretty good for the money (though based on what i've heard, i'd also personally go with tonerider first).

haven't heard anything about their hardware. I'd go wilkinson's cheaper range, as i know they're reasonably good for the money. steel block on the trem etc. for around the £25-£30 mark.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Replace everything except the neck, body, neck screws, neck base plate, and trem plate. Seriously, these cheap guitars need all that to be replaced with aftermarket stuff to be the best they can be.

I'd use GFS or AllParts for everything except pickups, and nut. For the nut I'd go with Graphtech nuts, and for pickups, I'd go with Seymour Duncan, Iron Gear pickups I hear are good, DiMarzio pickups are pretty good, and the GFS pickups are actually pretty decent as well if you want some cheap upgrade pickups that can hold their own.
Quote by W4RP1G
Do they sell GFS in the UK?

Oh, TS is in the UK...No, they don't, they are an American company. They might ship to the UK, but then the prices wouldn't be worth it, they are best known for selling great stuff at a stupidly low price.
i'm guessing he's in ireland (republic of), since he's talking about euro. but yeah, i mean unless postage is very reasonable it's probably not worth it. especially when you have other options here which are just as good, maybe even better.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Sorry, forgot to mention where i come from :L Dave_Mc got it in one, i'm from the republic of ireland :P

@ethan_hanus

doesn't really bother me too much if i have to replace all of that to get the best out of it...I already have some good guitars, so this is more a project then anything
Follow me on twitter!!
@Stuie93

100% Irish and proud

Glory glory Man Utd