Hello, I have recently gotten a few new toys to play with but cant quite get what I want outa them. I am trying to Achieve either a Classic Death: Human era sound or a Death/thrash sound similar to Sodom, Kreator, Destruction, and Hypnosia. Here is what I have to work with
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jackson JS32 Rhoads w/ Floyd Rose®

Bronze Warlock

Feder Frontman 65R Amp

Boss Metal Zone MT-2

Boss Distortion Ds-1

Delta Lab DGFX1

Dunlop Crybaby 535Q

Have enough cords to run 2 pedals
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any input would be greatly apreciated
Hmm...

Well, yore obviously using the Fender Frontman as yore amp. Either one of yore boss pedals (or none) should do the trick. I personally would go with the Jackson for yore guitar, but I don't think It matters alot. The Important thing to get that Death sound is how you set yore amp and pedal(s). Turn everything up to ten, and turn the volume up as loud as you can handle it. Having the volume loud is important. And for that death/thrash sound, you might want to turn the bass knob back a little, maybe 8 or 7. I hope this helps.
I tired it with both pedals but I feel like it just sounds pretty messy I dont get the crisp Palm mutes that I love from Death and same with Death/thrash. I mean Death/thrash in general is kinda messy but everything kinds of bleeds together with these settings mate. Thanks though
for the 80s destruction sound u need to get another amp. a modded jcm 800 with a tube screamer is what mike said he used on the old live album. the jackson would be the guitar i would use. For chucks sound get the marshall valve state he used. He just pluged and played no pedals. investing in a new amp is the key to get that sound. the fenders lead channel dosent have enough punch to get it and the boss pedals have too modren of a sound to get that crushing late 80s sound.
selling your amp and pedals might give you enough money to get a peavey 6505+ or a Triple x. i get a pretty good death thrash sound out of those amps
you can also kill the mids on the mt2 and turn the high and low to max and run it through the lead channel of yours but i have no idea what it might sound like on that amp. i used to do that on my old crate and got a ok death thrash sound out of it
Marshall JCM800 2203/2204 or Mesa Mark III, Tubescreamer or similar OD pedal as boost. You're not going to get anything like those tones out of that amp. They also use considerably less distortion than you'd think (the "Metal" pedals are exstupid amounts of unusable clipping).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Jul 14, 2011,
yeah lots of gain isnt important but lots of presence is. the mesa wont give you that sound its got too much low end(or its too loose). the marshall will come close but you need a tube screamer or a mod. the 6505 or 5150 can get a great death thrash sound and the Triple x or Jsx can do it with a little bit more or a modren touch (think Destructions The Antichrist or Kreators Violent Revoluition) and the Peaveys also come about 1400 dollers cheaper than mesa and marshall amps. a used 5150 comes at about 500 bucks
Last edited by hawk6611 at Jul 14, 2011,
Quote by hawk6611
yeah lots of gain isnt important but lots of presence is. the mesa wont give you that sound its got too much low end(or its too loose). the marshall will come close but you need a tube screamer or a mod. the 6505 or 5150 can get a great death thrash sound and the Triple x or Jsx can do it with a little bit more or a modren touch (think Destructions The Antichrist or Kreators Violent Revoluition) and the Peaveys also come about 1400 dollers cheaper than mesa and marshall amps. a used 5150 comes at about 500 bucks

5150 would work nicely, too. In fact I own a 6505+, and it's ****ing great.

And, um, if he's going for death/thrash a Mark III would work fine with a boost, just like a 2203. Marks are tight, Rectos are not.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
ok I'll play your game you rogue.

I would use which ever guitar you prefer. plug it into your MT2. plug the mt2 into your amps clean port.

guitar eq,
bridge pup only.
tone knob full open, then rolled off 1/16 of a rotation.
volume knob, to taste. I generally like it between 50 and 90 percent, depending how gainy I want the tone.

amp eq,
clean channel
H-5 M-5 L-5

pedal eq,
level - 5 (12 o' klok)
lows - 7.5/8 (2 o' klokk)
high - 4-6 (11-1 o' klok)
mids - to taste
dist - 8 (3-4 o'klok)
(you might also like some voltage sag. god knows I love me some voltage sag in my hm3)

let me know what you think. Ive never used any of your gear. closest I have is a warlock and a hm-3, so I based this settings on that.
"When losers say it's over with you know that it's a lie
The gods made heavy metal and it's never gonna die"
Last edited by kolonelkadat at Jul 14, 2011,
jeez guys.....he didnt ask for an amp recomendation. no normal person has 1000+ bucks to just blow on an amp. realy starting to hate the fact that everyone around here just jumps on the "get a new amp" bandwagon just because its the cool thing to do that makes it look like you know what you are talking about! anyway now that my rant is over
Use the metalzone on the clean channel with your amps gain at about 3. then you can tweak the clean eq settings on your amp to taste also.
level: to what ever you need
low: about the middle
high: about 3
lower mid: about 7/8
higher mid: about 3/4
gain/dist: what ever sounds good for you.(however more gain will make the palm mutes sound better.)

these settings are not in O'clock!
hope this helps
Last edited by gurg06 at Jul 14, 2011,
I'm not jumping on the "Get a new amp bandwagon". I'm being completely honest. I've owned most of that gear or gear similar to it. It will not get that tone. Period. the closest you will get:

Keep your gain at not-absurd levels, keep the mids around 3-4, drop most of the bass, up treble.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Last edited by oneblackened at Jul 15, 2011,
^ +1

it is not a bandwagon if you've been there done that and experienced it already - you are just trying to pass down knowledge to the noobs

Quote by gurg06
realy starting to hate the fact that everyone around here just jumps on the "get a new amp" bandwagon just because its the cool thing to do that makes it look like you know what you are talking about!

too bad.

I used to own a Frontman and ran all kinds of boxes in front of it including MFXs and a MI Audio Crunch Box. It just can't be done in a way that will satisfy you. So keep spending money on bandaid fixes or fix your problem. Your call.

A peavey 6505+112 or a peavey vypyr 60 will well get you into the territory you want
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 15, 2011,
what you really need is a new amp.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
1. Sell your amp and pedals.
2. Buy Peavey Transtube & Boss HM-2
3. ???
4. Profit!

... Seriously though. Do that.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I have a 6505+ and I love the hell out of it. It can get a real tight distortion. But I did change out most of the preamp tubes though, but that was to clean up the rhythm channel. I changed out the speaker too, but I don't think the improvement from that was worth the $100 it cost in the end.

I never got into distortion pedal, or solid state amps, so the best recommendation I can make is to get an EQ pedal. I can't stress it enough, you have so much more control over your tone with an EQ pedal, and the Danelectro fish and chips EQ is only $30.
Are you sure I should go with my Boss pedal I feel like my Deltalabs petal gives me a better tone the Metal zone has always sound a little fuzzy. Also any suggestion with the crybaby I know some people dont use it just for soloing they just set it and forget it while they play
I got the MT-2 and DS-1 too. For Thrash tones I usually set up my MT-2 like this:

High - 9 O' clock
Lows - 3 O' clock
Mid Freq - 7 O'clock (all the way down)
Mids - 7-9 O'clock
Distortion - All the way up

That works for me with my amp, if that doesn't sound right for you, you may try setting the highs to 3 o clock and the mid freq all the way up (I'm not sure of this one)
Epiphone SG-400
- Bridge: Seymour duncan Custom 8 (Alnico 8 mag)
- Neck: Humbucker powered by lace
Fender Squier Stratocaster
BOSS MT-2
BOSS DS-1
BOSS DD-7
EHX Big Muff Pi
Crybaby wah 535Q
EHX Small Stone
Laney 15W extreme
Quote by gurg06
jeez guys.....he didnt ask for an amp recomendation. no normal person has 1000+ bucks to just blow on an amp. realy starting to hate the fact that everyone around here just jumps on the "get a new amp" bandwagon just because its the cool thing to do that makes it look like you know what you are talking about! anyway now that my rant is over

do you know how much money i wasted on pedals and shit before i realised all i needed was a tube amp, with maybe an od boost in front?

it was easily enough to get gear which would have done what i wanted out of the box.

granted the guy in this thread is asking for advice regarding his own setup, and he's already got decent advice regarding that.

but as 311 says, it's not a bandwagon if you've tried it yourself. we're not trying to talk people into spending money for the sake of it. we're trying to prevent people from making the same mistakes we made.

jeez.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
do you know how much money i wasted on pedals and shit before i realised all i needed was a tube amp, with maybe an od boost in front?

it was easily enough to get gear which would have done what i wanted out of the box.

granted the guy in this thread is asking for advice regarding his own setup, and he's already got decent advice regarding that.

but as 311 says, it's not a bandwagon if you've tried it yourself. we're not trying to talk people into spending money for the sake of it. we're trying to prevent people from making the same mistakes we made.

jeez.

+1 to all of this (and to 311 too). I could have had a really nice rig right now if I hadn't bought so much stupid shit trying to get good tone, when all I needed from the start was an amp suited to do what I need (this was before I discovered UG). Beginners have no idea how much they are being benefitted by being told to get an amp that suits their needs, instead of trying to figure it all out by themselves like I did.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^

yeah. I mean UG's not perfect (nor is any forum), but before I found it I was flailing around in the dark getting nowhere fast. On the one hand you might say that if you can't hear the difference then that's great and it'll save you some money; however, while I was perfectly happy with my gear before I found UG, I was always wondering (not to mention a bit annoyed) why I couldn't sound like the records did. So I guess I could tell that something was wrong, just I didn't know what was wrong.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Old Death: Randall RG100ES and a DiMarzio X2N pickup.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Dave_Mc

jeez.

thanks you.

TS - new amp.
Quote by Shinozoku
Old Death: Randall RG100ES and a DiMarzio X2N pickup.

Actually the TS will need mod the X2N and replace the conductor cables with thicker ones to get the X2N that Chuck used. The mod instructions should be easy to find on google.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by gregs1020
thanks you.

TS - new amp.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

well it's the truth.

i wish i had half the money and time back that i spent chasing a certain sound that i just didn't know how to get.

i knew a bit about gear when i came here but certainly learned enough, and quick, to get the tones i was after.

that and i needed a new amp.
like i said a good peavey tube amp can be had for the price you can sell most of your pedals and amps for. i own the jsx and i love it. and i had a metal zone for a long time before i invested in a good tube amp. ive never used another pedal again. a good high gain tube amp has heaps of gain and peaveys are a great opition for sombody who wants to play metal. i think mesas are too loose to do thrash and for a little more you can get a Engl savage witch is the end all be all of metal amps imo. Peavey may come cheap but it will outclass the mesa in tightness witch is what thrash metal is known for.

on a side note. Chuck used a marshall Valvestate amp and a Bc rich with Dimazios i dont know what model pup but the vs100 will get you close to chucks sound
Quote by gregs1020
well it's the truth.

i wish i had half the money and time back that i spent chasing a certain sound that i just didn't know how to get.

i knew a bit about gear when i came here but certainly learned enough, and quick, to get the tones i was after.

that and i needed a new amp.

yeah. I just consider myself lucky that my GAS coincided with finding internet forums (actually I think there's a cause/effect relationship there ), so that while I was flailing about in the dark for a couple of years, at least I wasn't spending tons of money doing it. It was still too much, and if I could go back I would, but it's not like I wasted £5k either. Thankfully.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by ragingkitty
Actually the TS will need mod the X2N and replace the conductor cables with thicker ones to get the X2N that Chuck used. The mod instructions should be easy to find on google.

I'm aware. I plan on doing this myself because on my list of things to build is a Chuck Stealth

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

i'll add my 2 cents. when i started (1978) there was no internet, no tab books, no videos etc. you young players have no idea how lucky you are as there is a wealth of info right at your fingertips 24/7. if you were lucky you might find an interview in Guitar Player mag about one of your fav players that would tell you what they used. getting those sounds on a budget, well you were pretty much on your own. if you were lucky you might find a guy that knew something (or not) and let you in on the secret. i'm often amazed that players manage to buy the totally wrong thing for what they want soundwise. now i realize that beginners often get whats handed to them or available (as we all did to start). ok but it shouldn't be hard to understand that what you have isn't going to get you where you want to be. there seems to be a major misconception that there is a
magic" pedal that fixes all tone issues regardless of your other equipment. there isn't and never has been.

the only answer that really can be given in a situation like the OP's is experiment with what you have and live with the best result you can find. usually not the answer they want but it's the truth regardless.

so we can keep suggesting getting a better foundation (ie amp) or can just give a half-assed answer that wastes the OP's money. a new amp isn't always the answer but you do at least have the basics in place to get the sound you want. until you do not much we can tell you that will make you happy.
Ok didn't mean to start a flame war...but yeah, don't get me wrong, I've bought my fair share of crap gear when i started getting into guitar more. to me its more like a car. you start off with a 15 year old beater....then gradually move up to something better. Nobody (Who isn't) born rich) has a ferrari as their first car. you make do with what you have and can afford at the time. When you get better at playing. the gear will come to you. Thats why I hate rich kids who just start playing, with thousands worth of gear. but hey thats just my 2cents!
Last edited by gurg06 at Jul 16, 2011,
Quote by gurg06
Ok didn't mean to start a flame war...but yeah, don't get me wrong, I've bought my fair share of crap gear when i started getting into guitar more. to me its more like a car. you start off with a 15 year old beater....then gradually move up to something better. Nobody (Who isn't) born rich) has a ferrari as their first car. you make do with what you have and can afford at the time. When you get better at playing. the gear will come to you. Thats why I hate rich kids who just start playing, with thousands worth of gear. but hey thats just my 2cents!

ok i still drive a beater . if the car analogy works for you then you'd be kinda stupid if you bought a Fiero (google it) if you need to drive your wife and 2 kids around. sure the car is cheap and it is a car but you'd be hard pressed to fit 4 people in it. no one is seriously telling anyone to spend $1000s of dollars on gear here. the problem is that people want to sound like they have $1000s worth of gear. the other problem is that they have $300 worth of gear (and sometimes not even that) and then want to slap a under $100 pedal in front and expect that that will somehow give them that sound. it's not realistic and a waste of money. i can't just throw a fancy fuel injector into my ford escert and expect to win NASCAR races

you can get a tube amp these days for $400 or less and then throw a pedal or 2 in front and get yourself at least in the same ballpark as (fill in guitar hero here). tone chasing is often a fools errand so getting kinda close is often as good as it gets. the sooner many here realize that the better.
Sweet ride, man

Stupid name.

Quote by monwobobbo

you can get a tube amp these days for $400 or less and then throw a pedal or 2 in front and get yourself at least in the same ballpark as (fill in guitar hero here). tone chasing is often a fools errand so getting kinda close is often as good as it gets. the sooner many here realize that the better.

yeah, exactly. I mean I very rarely if ever am trying to nail a tone 100%. I'm trying to get into the ballpark, sure, but as long as i have a tone that works for the stuff I'm playing, I'm happy.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you push the warlock, you can get soem good death/thrash sound
Crescent(No info on this, bought used, PM if you'd like to help me out...?)
2007 Warlock