Poll: How long have you played guitar?
Poll Options
View poll results: How long have you played guitar?
I just started
4 3%
Less than 1 year
7 5%
1-2 years
20 13%
2-3 years
33 22%
4-6 years
34 23%
6-10 years
25 17%
10-15 years
10 7%
15-20 years
4 3%
20-30 years
6 4%
30+ years
7 5%
Voters: 150.
Page 1 of 2
I'd bet that I will be told that this has been asked at least 20 times a week and that I should learn how to use the search function. Well, either the search bar is the suck or this question hasn't been asked anytime recently. If I'm wrong I will very happily delete this thread.

WARNING: This poll is public.

EDIT: If you've played 3-4 years, please select 4-6. Sorry, my mistake.
Last edited by thehikingdude at Jul 15, 2011,
2-3 years.

Unfortunatly i'm not as good as i could be for this amount of time.

I've seen people who have only been playing 9 months better than me
Quote by SumFX
2-3 years.

How much of the 2-3 years have you taken lessons as compared to the person that has played for only 9 months?
Nearly 5 years, at this point.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
over 20 years
Quote by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
What the hell happened to 3-4 years? Am I just excluded? Or because everybody I know thinks I'm lying (They all say 5 or 6 years, makes me feel good ) should I mark that...

Add 3-4 somewhere in there, por favor.
Where's Waldo?
got stuck straight into my first cheap guitar that I got for my 8th birthday......now I've just turned 21! so thats 13 years!!! and still loving it!
Quote by chadreed32
What the hell happened to 3-4 years? Am I just excluded? Or because everybody I know thinks I'm lying (They all say 5 or 6 years, makes me feel good ) should I mark that...

+1

I think it is a conspiracy. Us 3-4'rs never get a break

but yeah, wrong forum
6 year now.

Weird, it doesn't feel like it's been that long.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
reagan was the prez.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
8 solid years. Good times right there.
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
Quote by chadreed32

Sadly you can't change the poll once it's created, I already tried. I meant to say 3-6 years.
Damn, about 13 years now. Doesn't seem that long. I'd probably be much better if I don't take so many long breaks from playing.
Quote by fixationdarknes
Around 8 years. Some years were more productive than others, some very technically-focused, others more musically-focused, others not even playing guitar and focusing more on piano

Same, these past 6-7 months I havent paid the guitar any attention. lol
This has been my most unproductive year ever, out of the 7 years I have played. You can deffinatly tell in my playing, nowhere near as good as it was a short while back..
Quote by thehikingdude
I have nice guitars.

Care to add a 3 to 4 category?

Awkward wink.
Where's Waldo?
Quote by chadreed32
Care to add a 3 to 4 category?

Awkward wink.

It's there. If you squint just right the 4-6 will look like 3-6.

That quote from me, where did I ever say that?
Quote by SumFX
2-3 years.

I feel the same way sometimes, been playing for 3 years by now

I have taken lessons for about... 1 year total, with about 4 different teachers. I always take lessons like 2-3 consecutive months and then stop taking for the rest of the year, usually during summer... because I study architecture and sometimes don't have enough time for lessons...
Epiphone SG-400
- Bridge: Seymour duncan Custom 8 (Alnico 8 mag)
- Neck: Humbucker powered by lace
Fender Squier Stratocaster
BOSS MT-2
BOSS DS-1
BOSS DD-7
EHX Big Muff Pi
Crybaby wah 535Q
EHX Small Stone
Laney 15W extreme
Quote by thehikingdude
It's there. If you squint just right the 4-6 will look like 3-6.

That quote from me, where did I ever say that?

Is this a bribe?

And that quote is kind of from that other thread on here about the "most beautiful guitars". Its kind of implied.
Where's Waldo?
about 16 although for a few i didnt really touch guitar much,really got into it about 5 years ago.
Quote by chadreed32
Is this a bribe?

And that quote is kind of from that other thread on here about the "most beautiful guitars". Its kind of implied.

OK, I knew I'd never said that. If others have implied it, that's something very different.
They're just wood, metal, magnets and some plastic all put together. Hell, Jack White once made a guitar out of a small piece of wood, an old pop bottle and a pickup.
for 8 months and i have learned the major scale, major and minor chords, lead guitar techniques and tablature. the song i`ve` learnt is the scorpians- rock you like a hurricane, avril lavigne- sk8tr boi, mcfly-all about you, blink 182- all the small things, linkin park- bleed it out.

IS THAT GOOD FOR 8 MONTHS?
Quote by thehikingdude
OK, I knew I'd never said that. If others have implied it, that's something very different.
They're just wood, metal, magnets and some plastic all put together. Hell, Jack White once made a guitar out of a small piece of wood, an old pop bottle and a pickup.

I don't know if it was others as much as you posting pictures of all of your nice guitars...

And isn't that called a Diddley-Bo?
Where's Waldo?
7 and some change. Could be much better at it with the amount of time, but I'm not as dedicated to it as I could be.
Fender Lone Star Stratocaster
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 SH
Peavey VK112
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Boss OS-2
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
I think it's interesting the poll has a bell shape.

Edit: 4 years. Definitely could be better, but I don't really care, because what matters is what I can do, not what I could do.
17 years.. looks like I'm in the upper echelon in this poll >.<
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
i started in 1995-1996-ish.. i think... all i can remember about it is that i was smaller than my guitar.

edit: so that's roughly 15-16 years. most of my progress has been made in the last year or so, though.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Jul 15, 2011,
long enough...
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
I got my guitar (electric) about 3 years ago and I messed around with it, got bored, had other obligations like sport, classes, friends, etc. and just never got really anywhere because of lack of practice...

Early this year I got a lot more free time, picked it up, started to get into it, realized that guitars are awesome and make me feel good. Now I can probably play 2 or 3 songs with good enough accuracy (simple ones but not every song has to be Satriani level). I know that I'll never quit guitars again. That feeling of playing them, even without grace, is just too good.
Quote by chadreed32
I don't know if it was others as much as you posting pictures of all of your nice guitars...

And isn't that called a Diddley-Bo?

I say others due to the repeated requests to post pics in the thread you mentioned.

Yep, that would be a Diddley Bow:

I now wish I'd asked about lessons as well, but that will have to be another poll from someone else.
Page 1 of 2