So I know that Crate doesn't always have the best best reputation, but MAN, they did it with this one. 30 watts (Tube), and it sounds great! (Especially next to my crappy old MG). I bought it used for $279, and the guy who owned it before me built an attenuator into the back

Anyways, both the OD and clean channels sound amazing with their volumes past around 9:30 (clock). I haven't had too much time to try and get a perfect tone right now, but from what I can tell, you can't really dial in treble over 12 o'clock AND presence without getting too much on the high end. The only other downside I've noticed is that it gets HOT, so one has to be careful with the knobs after playing for more than twenty minutes (this is a common problem with this amp).

What makes this really sweet is that this is my first tube amp!
Front:

Top and Footswitch:

Preinstalled Attenuator:

BTW I believe this is the first time I've posted in this forum, so let me know if I missed any info
Last edited by Kevin19 at Jul 14, 2011,
HNAD dude! Always loved the sound of the palomino's but they're nigh on impossible to find in the UK been after one for years. Enjoy
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Palominos are cool

HNAD!

what's up with the attenuator? is it a dummy load type thang or a volume knob in the FX loop?

I'm not too knowledgeable with amps quite yet, especially since this is my first tube amp... I mean, I know what its function is, but I couldn't tell you for the life of me which one it is All I can say is it does its job well!
Last edited by Kevin19 at Jul 14, 2011,
HNAD! I've had much the same experience with mine - gets a little fizzy with the treble and presence too high, and sounds better turned past 9.30. Try setting the dirty channel for a clean sound and putting a boutique distortion pedal in front of it. It may be the best sound in the world (certainly the best I've heard).
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
Quote by sonic_777111
HNAD! I've had much the same experience with mine - gets a little fizzy with the treble and presence too high, and sounds better turned past 9.30. Try setting the dirty channel for a clean sound and putting a boutique distortion pedal in front of it. It may be the best sound in the world (certainly the best I've heard).

Well, so far I've put my Big Muff w/ Tone Wicker through it (on clean and on slightly driven), and it was much more powerful then I ever imagined it could be! The sound is just beautiful.
HNAD! A palomino V16 was my first tube amp, they're sweet for the price, and certainly an awesome upgrade from the MG. And good call on rolling back the highs, my favorite tones out of these were with the treble around 9-10:00 and bass and mids around 2-3:00.

Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
Quote by Ippon
Congrats! Ask him how to remove the mod when you need to get it loud enough to kill small mammals.

It runs at full volume if the attenuator knob is set at 0