I have been more and more aware of how little I really know about guitar after several years of playing. I've decided that instead of throwing money into buying better gear just to make my trite power chord progressions sound better (which is what I've been doing) I'm going to invest mentally and physically in becoming a much better guitar player. However, I don't know where to start from so I'm basically going to start all over.

That being said, I'd love to start by learning how to play the blues. I'd like to learn good scales, patterns, and structures for blues improvisation as well as a small amount of theory to start. Can anyone point me in the right direction (or, at this point, any direction) so I can start taking good strides instead of baby steps?

Also, who would be some good blues musicians to listen to and learn from? Right now my biggest inspiration is Stevie Ray Vaughan and I'd like to someday play like him.

I know this is kind of a lot to ask, so thank you for reading and helping
Last edited by Helicopters! at Jul 14, 2011,
Quote by mr7string
Jazz > blues

Trust me.

Blues follows a predictable pattern in its simplest form, and is a great tool for beginning learning chord progressions, scales, improvisation, solos, bending, double stops etc. Jazz is much more complicated and will be much easier to understand with a good knowledge of the blues.

TS - Learn the blues scale, 12 bar blues (very important!) and go from there. If you have NO idea where to start -> search "crusade" in the lessons area of UG, there's a great list of columns by Josh that will help set you on the right course.
PRS SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary
Ibanez RG2EX1
Fender CD220CE Acoustic-Electric
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12 60w
Quote by mr7string
Jazz > blues

Trust me.

Blues is a form of jazz. Therefore, strictly speaking, blues IS jazz. How can something be greater than it self?
Quote by arunawayslave
Blues follows a predictable pattern in its simplest form, and is a great tool for beginning learning chord progressions, scales, improvisation, solos, bending, double stops etc. Jazz is much more complicated and will be much easier to understand with a good knowledge of the blues.

TS - Learn the blues scale, 12 bar blues (very important!) and go from there. If you have NO idea where to start -> search "crusade" in the lessons area of UG, there's a great list of columns by Josh that will help set you on the right course.

Thank you!

The search didn't turn up anything, though