Hey Guys

Well, this is a quite simple question i dunno if some has tried it!

I am trying to get a very thick, but understandable metal sound. Unfortunatly I dont have the money to get a Messa Boogie tube amp to get my distortion from it, so I've been using pedals instead.

However, with the pedal i got i feel like it lacks heaviness and i'd like a more distorted sound. And I've been thinking about mixing various distortion pedals at the same time, but I dont know if thats advisable. I currently use the Boss Metalcore ML-2, but could I mix it with, for example, the Boss Metal Zone MT-2, and the Electro Harmonix Metal Muff?
Or that would just give me too much feedback? any ideas on this? or alternatives???

Thank you!!
that would sound horrible
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
Big full sounding guitar tones come from well balanced sounding guitars and big full sounding amps, not pedals.
The Metal Zone would sound better if you took out its guts and filled it instead with horse shit.

Hardwire TL-2 is better.
There are loads of other options.
BUT....2 Metal Pedals together? Stick ice picks in you ears instead.
Wampler Triple Wreck.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
idk, try it. see for yourself how it sounds.

it is probably impossible to get good tones out of combining 2 METAL pedals. granted, i combined my blue box and dist+ and got a neat tone out of that, but those aren't exactly high gain screech boxes.
thank you guys, so just to sum up, definetly not 2 distortion pedals together right?

thanks for the suggestion on the triple wreck, sounds awesome!!
Quote by damienro0
thank you guys, so just to sum up, definetly not 2 distortion pedals together right?

thanks for the suggestion on the triple wreck, sounds awesome!!

yes, but don't take our word for it.

try it out. and work at trying to get a good sound. you will learn the limitations of your pedals, and get some incite into why they do what they do.

edit: but i doubt that you will ever get a good tone, unless you are looking for a torn speaker sound.
Quote by 00_hns_00
yes, but don't take our word for it.

try it out. and work at trying to get a good sound. you will learn the limitations of your pedals, and get some incite into why they do what they do.

edit: but i doubt that you will ever get a good tone, unless you are looking for a torn speaker sound.

Quote by BobDetroit
Just out of curiosity what amp are you playing?

Haha! Thank you guys, sure i guess i need to experiment a bit more!! I've been just googling and I found some pedals, check this out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvp4teL7dwk&feature=mh_lolz&list=FLcmqU9TliI0g

But they are damn expensive man! I guess if you wanted to use one of them you would definetly need a very clean amp, i am guessin a fender amp

I am currently playing in a line 6 spider iii clean channel i made so i could play with a pedal because i cant take the amp to gigs, otherwise i would probably use the amp itself to get the distortion.
Woah

Ferget the pedal. What you need, is a new amp.

New amp. /discussion
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
Woah

Ferget the pedal. What you need, is a new amp.

New amp. /discussion

Yeah I know that! Sorry, its just limited budget. Thats what i would rehearse with tho, when you are playing live they would usually provide Marshall heads and cabinets.
You can make the metalzone work if you watch the high mids/treble and use a good cabinet, preferably with V30's.
Three pedals come to mind....go to Youtube and listen to these pedals. The Tech 21 pedals can be used as DI's or Pre's.

Tech 21 Oxford
Tech 21 US Steel
Big Muff Germanium 4
Last edited by Sam Hain at Jul 15, 2011,
Quote by Sam Hain
Three pedals come to mind....go to Youtube and listen to these pedals. The Tech 21 pedals can be used as DI's or Pre's.

Tech 21 Oxford
Tech 21 US Steel
Big Muff Germanium 4

Quote by llanafreak44
You can make the metalzone work if you watch the high mids/treble and use a good cabinet, preferably with V30's.

Thank you guys but i think i am looking for something thicker and with more attitude, very heavy but very clear and understandable, probably something like the closest pedal you can get to the distortion you would get from a mesa boogie valve amp, it seems that most metal bands are using a mesa boogie valve amp to get their distortion!
Quote by damienro0
Thank you guys but i think i am looking for something thicker and with more attitude, very heavy but very clear and understandable, probably something like the closest pedal you can get to the distortion you would get from a mesa boogie valve amp, it seems that most metal bands are using a mesa boogie valve amp to get their distortion!

Dude, you're wasting your money if you think you're going to turn your Spider into a Triple Rec with a pedal.
Quote by BobDetroit
Dude, you're wasting your money if you think you're going to turn your Spider into a Triple Rec with a pedal.

+1 for sure. dude adding heaps of distortion isn't the path to a "heavier" sound. you need less distortion than you think. good eqing and an amp capable of producing good sound will get you much farther. a ton of distortion and clarity aren't things that really go together well. you need to rethink your approach.