i have a vht special 6 ultra and use an mxr fullbore for my high gain sound. today i was jamming with a friend and had the amp turned up to maybe an eighth of the way and it just sounded... like a fuzz. it wasnt the balls to the wall distortion i want. at lower volumes it sounds great (all with the pedal) but it just didnt sound great wen i was louder. if i were to get an overdrive and put that over a dirty channel will i get the same kind of fuzzy noise or is it just the fact that im using a distortion over a clean channel? what kind of overdrive would give me a really high gain tone (bullet for my valentine, all that remains, killswitch engage) without losing the clarity at higher volumes? and IF i need a new pedal, i'd rather it be as inexpensive as possible but im willing to pay for good quality and good tone
Sounds more like your getting power amp distortion, your amp isnt made to stay clean at high volume

Sorry.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
i dont want the amp to stay clean, i just want it to not lose the clarity and tone of the distortion that i have at more of a bedroom level
are you saying your amp sounds different than before -OR-

you played with a friend for the first time and actually cranked it up for the first time?

there are 'clean boosts' out there....that is about all I can think of outside of new pickups.

but yeah, like Tom said, it is a low watt amp - it can only do so much. especially for stuff like KSE
You are going to have to tweak your pedal then becuase when you turn it to 8 out of 10. Your pushing the power amp section to the point of clipping, or "natural" over drive.

Thats sort of the selling point of small tube amps.

This is also the reason people who advise others to buy low wattage tube amps for metal are fucking retarded and need to actually learn that the reason high gain metal heads have huge wattage is to give them the head room to sound the same at lower volume ( or nearer ) as they do at gigging volume.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
yes, it sounded different. but ya, its only the second time ive really turned it up a bit. and pickups rnt the issue. i have a schecter c1 hellraiser with active emg's.
I've just told you the issue mate.

its not a metal amp and its not made to reatin clarity at higher volumes, its made to break up early to get "that" tube tone at reasonable levels.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
I've just told you the issue mate.

its not a metal amp and its not made to reatin clarity at higher volumes, its made to break up early to get "that" tube tone at reasonable levels.

+1

TS, you're arguing is not going to change the problem that Tom has addressed... you're facing power tube clipping. Any clean boost, OD, dist etc etc will still hit the upper ceiling of your headroom and induce power tube clip.

Time to suck it up and face the reality that your tube amp isn't made to butt heads with a drummer.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by Tom 1.0
You are going to have to tweak your pedal then becuase when you turn it to 8 out of 10. Your pushing the power amp section to the point of clipping, or "natural" over drive.

Thats sort of the selling point of small tube amps.

This is also the reason people who advise others to buy low wattage tube amps for metal are fucking retarded and need to actually learn that the reason high gain metal heads have huge wattage is to give them the head room to sound the same at lower volume ( or nearer ) as they do at gigging volume.

+ 1.0

most metal is preamp only anyway - back to maybe thrash. somewhere after heavy metal and thrash preamps started to take over the distortion duties.

but heavy metal and thrash sound hellz a lot better when cranked and spanked
i bought the special 6 in the first place because it was my first move into a tube amp and it was affordable. at the time i basically had in mind "its a tube amp, it'll be great for any kind of music i want to play with it" but as im seeing, i guess i was wrong.

what would u suggest i do? im real short on cash and the likelihood of me getting much for trade in value is pretty slim. my birthday is in a couple months (october) so lets say that after some cigars and a tattoo i have some money saved up, what would be a good suggestion for lets say, $500-700? doesnt have to be huge, but apparently its gonna need some wattage for the type of sound im going for?
i had a vypyr 75, it was shit. im not getting a modeler for a real amp, its a waste. i'll probably get a small fender mustang for college but taht is the only modeler i will ever buy
Quote by andrerist
i have a vht special 6 ultra and use an mxr fullbore for my high gain sound. today i was jamming with a friend and had the amp turned up to maybe an eighth of the way and it just sounded... like a fuzz. it wasnt the balls to the wall distortion i want. at lower volumes it sounds great (all with the pedal) but it just didnt sound great wen i was louder. if i were to get an overdrive and put that over a dirty channel will i get the same kind of fuzzy noise or is it just the fact that im using a distortion over a clean channel? what kind of overdrive would give me a really high gain tone (bullet for my valentine, all that remains, killswitch engage) without losing the clarity at higher volumes? and IF i need a new pedal, i'd rather it be as inexpensive as possible but im willing to pay for good quality and good tone

Am I the only one seeing this? I turn my Valvekings volume an 1/8th of the way up and I'm still only getting preamp distortion, takes about half way to get power tube saturation. If you're getting power tube saturation at 1/8 volume, your amp just sucks.

But yeah, Tom covered it pretty well, new amp time.
Last edited by ethan_hanus at Jul 14, 2011,
Quote by jpnyc
…$500-700?

Used 5150 combo.
/thread

i just dont see it being worth it too spend a shit load of money given that im going away to college in a year. so that may even be a bit high.

so lets try this, is there anything i can do to get thru a couple gigs with this? is just having it mic'd the best option if there is a PA?

what was wrong with the vypyr?

maybe you didn't spend enough time with it or had a bad first experience. it should do KSE pretty easily.

as will these:
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/msg/2493704367.html
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/msg/2491877775.html
http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/msg/2494744031.html maybe
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/msg/2490744210.html brutalz
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/msg/2469650509.html yep
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/msg/2482887170.html yep

some need cabs obviously to work properly