Page 1 of 2
Just wondering, how many of the people here are home-schooled?

It seems like when I go back to school in the fall, pretty much everyone that made it fun is going to be gone. Some friends are moving, some are switching to home schooling and some went to the alternative school (some because of grades, some because they hate the high school here). Honestly, the majority of the people at this school are assholes (I lived in a different city before this, so I have something to compare it to), and I really don't want to go back seeing as the people who made it livable are now gone.

Basically, I was wondering if those of you who are home schooled would recommend it? Is there anyone here who's done both, and could compare? If it makes any difference, I'm in a few advanced classes, and my lowest score on the WKCE (a standard test taken throughout Wisconsin) put me at the 92nd percentile in that subject, and I've usually been able to work well without the help of teachers.
Most homeschooled kids are really sheltered, and have difficulty dealing with the real world.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
I'm homeschooled, and its 1000000000x better then public school.(i moved after my freshmen year, it SUCKED).

Edit: and it didnt affect me socially, prolly cuz I spent like 10 years in public school.

Edit 2: Id recommend it, to answer ur actual question. Its better as long as u have good social skills already. if u dont have good social skills Id say dont do it. but even then u could still do it IF u get out into the public alot.
(and finally, I live in wisconsin and IK how cliquey the schools here are, it sucks!)
Last edited by awesomo41894 at Jul 14, 2011,
Quote by awesomo41894
I'm homeschooled, and its 1000000000x better then public school.(i moved after my freshmen year, it SUCKED).

Edit: and it didnt affect me socially, prolly cuz I spent like 10 years in public school.

That's completely different though. For someone who was homeschoolwd until Freshman or Sophomore year and then moves to a public or an ALC it's an almost insurmontable challenge to figure themselves and other people in a social setting.
Because everyone else makes the school suck? Deal with it. It'll help you deal with the rest of the world. It turns out, we're assholes, too!
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Most homeschooled kids are really sheltered, and have difficulty dealing with the real world.

Every single home schooler I've known was the complete opposite. All very smart and sociable.
So I dunno, it just depends. It's hard to do well, for sure, but it's definitely possible.
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
Quote by awesomo41894

Edit 2: Id recommend it, to answer ur actual question. Its better as long as u have good social skills already. if u dont have good social skills Id say dont do it. but even then u could still do it IF u get out into the public alot.
(and finally, I live in wisconsin and IK how cliquey the schools here are, it sucks!)

Your mom didn't do a very good of teaching you correct grammar did she?
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by wizards?
That's completely different though. For someone who was homeschoolwd until Freshman or Sophomore year and then moves to a public or an ALC it's an almost insurmontable challenge to figure themselves and other people in a social setting.

I agree with that 100%. I think if ur homeschooled when ur really young, and u have little contact with others ur age, it could screw u up socially.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Your mom didn't do a very good of teaching you correct grammar did she?

lol Ive only been homeschooled for a year XD and Im just too lazy to type everything exactly correct lol.
Quote by awesomo41894
I agree with that 100%. I think if ur homeschooled when ur really young, and u have little contact with others ur age, it could screw u up socially.

And it does, if the parents aren't responsible and don't try to get their kids out there, like via co-op groups or something. Thankfully people are realizing this, and the kids aren't turning out as socially retarded anymore.
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
Quote by awesomo41894

I just reread your earlier post. You're a 'sconnie, and I don't want you agreeing with me
It won't screw you up socially and you'll learn more and at a faster pace. There's really no reason not to unless you don't have the money/time/whatever.

The only people who end up sheltered are the ones that would have been sheltered either way due to overbearing parents. It's not the homeschooling sheltering them; the schooling is a manifestation of the sheltering.
Last edited by D&DLover at Jul 14, 2011,
It's not like I'm doing it to avoid people altogether; I love to hang out with people. It's just that this is a tiny, redneck town full of assholes, and I really don't want to be in a tiny, redneck school full of assholes. I'm capable of dealing with them, I just don't want to.
Judging by the age on your profile, this will be your senior year, right? or possibly junior year.

Don't start homeschooling now, you're almost done anyway. Just deal with your asshole school. Hell, I go to an all-guys Catholic school filled with obnoxious rich kids, and I'm not Christian nor gay. I haven't left yet.

That being said, if you REALLY think homeschooling is the best option, go for it, and good luck. Not everyone who's homeschooled is weird. I know a few people who are and they have normal social lives.
ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ೃ ·ಏ· ಢ_ಢ

E-Married to the sexy DarkConcertine

and Jon777 .

Last edited by mcjosh at Jul 14, 2011,
I was home-schooled, I'm pretty okay. Just some social awkwardness.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Quote by mcjosh
Judging by the age on your profile, this will be your senior year, right? or possibly junior year.

Don't start homeschooling now, you're almost done anyway. Just deal with your asshole school. Hell, I go to an all-guys Catholic school filled with obnoxious rich kids, and I'm not Christian nor gay. I haven't left yet.
It'll be my junior year.

I just can't stand the people here. Everybody knows everybody, and has to know every detail of every persons lives; when they don't know the details, they make them up. It's a redneck, Catholic hellhole.
Quote by herby190
It'll be my junior year.

I just can't stand the people here. Everybody knows everybody, and has to know every detail of every persons lives; when they don't know the details, they make them up. It's a redneck, Catholic hellhole.

So learn at home. If you get a good program, it'll give you a better education and you might finish early. The only reason I went to public school was because it was free and I had friends there.
Quote by herby190
It's not like I'm doing it to avoid people altogether; I love to hang out with people. It's just that this is a tiny, redneck town full of assholes, and I really don't want to be in a tiny, redneck school full of assholes. I'm capable of dealing with them, I just don't want to.

No I completely agree with you on that. That's why Junior year I switched to a charter school. What I'm saying is that homeschooling from Kindergarden on for a long time isn't as healthy as public school... Plus where are you going to learn all your swears and penis jokes if not school?
Is online schooling typically expensive? I don't know how easy it would be to convince my parents to pay for it if so.

Also, for those of you who have been home-schooled, are there any programs you'd recommend?
Quote by wizards?
Plus where are you going to learn all your swears and penis jokes if not school?

Isn't that what the internet is for?
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by awesomo41894

Clickey? Really? God I loathe kids that can't deal with bulleys and clicks. Kids shelter themselves so goddamn much from anything negative happening. I wish running away from my problems was an option.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Quote by wizards?
No I completely agree with you on that. That's why Junior year I switched to a charter school. What I'm saying is that homeschooling from Kindergarden on for a long time isn't as healthy as public school... Plus where are you going to learn all your swears and penis jokes if not school?

I was home schooled from 4th grade through high school. I just graduated from college with a Bachelor's degree, and I had a pretty easy time handling the college courseload.

A few points:

1. There are positives and negatives. I ended up skipping 2 grades because all I did in my spare time was read, and therefore was at a post-high school reading level in 5th grade. I never really had to try very hard for all of my 100-200 level college papers, and consistently got A's. However, although I have friends now and get along with almost everyone I meet, I feel like I missed out on a lot of social activities. Of course, there are home school athletics, home school proms, etc, but you do miss out on the "high school experience."

2. Everyone is different. For some people, home schooling leads to better academic performance, less stress/distractions/bullies, and a much closer family bond. But for some, it might lead to laziness, a loss of friendships and social experiences, and a lot of fighting at home.

So...if you aren't going to feel like you're missing out on high school socially, and you're at least moderately self-motivated, I would recommend home schooling. If you love athletics or school-organized activities, and don't mind the less-than-stellar (in most cases) public school education, stay with that.
Schecter C-1 Elite-->BOSS ME-20-->B-52 AT100 2x12

Quote by laid-to-waste
Extremely attractive woman.
extremely attractive
oh baby
EDIT: you're a guy. shit.
...an extremely attractive guy.
extremely attractive
oh baby

E-Paramour of Andrea55
Quote by herby190
Is online schooling typically expensive? I don't know how easy it would be to convince my parents to pay for it if so.

Also, for those of you who have been home-schooled, are there any programs you'd recommend?

If you're in western 'sconsin and can get to the Twin Cities, I could recommend a couple cool charter schools you could check out. It would be better than homeschooling
Quote by Beautiful

So...if you aren't going to feel like you're missing out on high school socially, and you're at least moderately self-motivated, I would recommend home schooling. If you love athletics or school-organized activities, and don't mind the less-than-stellar (in most cases) public school education, stay with that.

All of my friends that were home schooled talked to the school and were allowed to participate in athletic and other school-sponsored events, so it was win-win.
Quote by wizards?
If you're in western 'sconsin and can get to the Twin Cities, I could recommend a couple cool charter schools you could check out. It would be better than homeschooling
I'm pretty far west; I'm about an hour and a half from St. Paul.
Quote by D&DLover
All of my friends that were home schooled talked to the school and were allowed to participate in athletic and other school-sponsored events, so it was win-win.

Yep...it's not that hard to stay socially active. People who freak out and say "oh man, you won't have any friends and you'll be weird!!!" usually have no clue what they're talking about, and just see "weird home schoolers" in movies.
Schecter C-1 Elite-->BOSS ME-20-->B-52 AT100 2x12

Quote by laid-to-waste
Extremely attractive woman.
extremely attractive
oh baby
EDIT: you're a guy. shit.
...an extremely attractive guy.
extremely attractive
oh baby

E-Paramour of Andrea55
Quote by D&DLover
Honestly, I've never been into school events anyways. The only ones I've been to in the past couple years have been a couple choir concerts, and I was only there because my girlfriend wanted me to. I honestly couldn't care less about extra-curriculars and such.
Quote by herby190
I'm pretty far west; I'm about an hour and a half from St. Paul.

I'll get on my desktop and pm you a couple of links. If you're willing/able to commute that every day it might just be worth it. You'll have to do something with your parent's taxes to pay a "tuition" like fee, but I don't think it's exactly a lot. Probably less than home school fees, but don't take my word on that.
Quote by wizards?
I'll get on my desktop and pm you a couple of links. If you're willing/able to commute that every day it might just be worth it. You'll have to do something with your parent's taxes to pay a "tuition" like fee, but I don't think it's exactly a lot. Probably less than home school fees, but don't take my word on that.
I'm not sure how possible that commute would be, to be honest. I think the online option may be the better of the two.
Quote by herby190
I'm not sure how possible that commute would be, to be honest. I think the online option may be the better of the two.

Ah well, I sent you a PM anyway.

If online works for you then that's good. Different strokes and all that.
Quote by wizards?
Ah well, I sent you a PM anyway.

If online works for you then that's good. Different strokes and all that.

hope it works for u.
Home-schooling is cool as long as this criteria is met:

1. The parents aren't idiots
2. They aren't doing it to influence the kid's political or religious ideology
3. They aren't doing it to shelter their kid from bullying or the like
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by StewieSwan
Home-schooling is cool as long as this criteria is met:

1. The parents aren't idiots
2. They aren't doing it to influence the kid's political or religious ideology
3. They aren't doing it to shelter their kid from bullying or the like
Well, do parents really have anything to do with it anymore? I assumed it was just all online.
Quote by herby190
Well, do parents really have anything to do with it anymore? I assumed it was just all online.

No, parents can still home-school their own children. A friend of my sister was home-schooled from about age 13 until she got her GED. Nowadays she's a drug-addict with a kid who can't do math and has an extremely limited vocabulary. I'm not saying all home-schooled kids will end up like this, but it's a certain possibility if the parents don't know what they're doing.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by StewieSwan
No, parents can still home-school their own children. A friend of my sister was home-schooled from about age 13 until she got her GED. Nowadays she's a drug-addict with a kid who can't do math and has an extremely limited vocabulary. I'm not saying all home-schooled kids will end up like this, but it's a certain possibility if the parents don't know what they're doing.
There's no way in hell I'd let my parents do it. My dad's really smart, but I don't live with him. I live with my mom, who, honestly, isn't exactly intelligent, and my redneck stepdad, who fits most of the definitions of the word retarded that I've ever seen.

I was definitely thinking online courses.
I was home schooled until I was 16. I started GED classes and got my GED. About a year after, I started college majoring in photography, and I had no problem with being around people. I'm a pretty outgoing person, so being around people didn't scare me. I'm actually friends with about 60% on my photography class. The other students I don't like.
Page 1 of 2