Hi, if you could rate my playing level that'd be great!
It's a 6 and 5 string Canon progression sweep with tapping at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvfJE2RuOeY

Cleanness [ /10]
Sync [ /10]
Technique [ /10]
Overall Sound [ /10]

If you could also give reasons, that would be great!
Thank you!
Gear

Ibanez RG350DX Electric Guitar With DiMarzio Tone Zone
Academy Electric Guitar
BeaverCreek Acoustic Guitar

Roland Micro Cube Amp
Academy 15W Amp
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey Sanpera Footswitch I
Cleanness [ 7/10]
Sync [5 /10]
Technique [7 /10]
Overall Sound [N/A /10]

It was fairly clean, but you need to stop stopping in between each, play it slower if you have to, but even if you can sweep once, and its not fluid it will sound bad. Play it at a tempo that you can play cleanly through each one. And I gave you a N/A because I think your camera Jacked up your tone a bit, making it hard to concentrate on the "Overall Sound".
Where's Waldo?
Looks pretty good to me.

Cleanness 9/10. No big noticeable mistakes

Sync 9/10. I wish I was that good.

Technique 9/10. No mistakes.

Overall sound 8/10 Pretty good. You should work on starting the next sweep as soon as yore done with the last one. This is optional, I just prefer the way it sounds.
Quote by thrashdeth
This is optional

Its not really optional if the song (as most songs are) wasn't written that way

I know I rated him low, and he could probably do a better job than be, but in the whole world of sweeps, that's just how it is. Plus, maybe he'll work good off of negative re-enforcement?
Where's Waldo?
Quote by chadreed32
Cleanness [ 7/10]
Sync [5 /10]
Technique [7 /10]
Overall Sound [N/A /10]

It was fairly clean, but you need to stop stopping in between each, play it slower if you have to, but even if you can sweep once, and its not fluid it will sound bad. Play it at a tempo that you can play cleanly through each one. And I gave you a N/A because I think your camera Jacked up your tone a bit, making it hard to concentrate on the "Overall Sound".

Ohh crap..Yeah I just noticed it..
Thank you for pointing it out!
Should I fill it in with a vibrato or just try to fluently connect each sweep?

Edit: I love negative comments to be honest, because I learn more from them than getting positive comments
Gear

Academy Electric Guitar

Roland Micro Cube Amp
Academy 15W Amp
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by whoahesgood
Ohh crap..Yeah I just noticed it..
Thank you for pointing it out!
Should I fill it in with a vibrato or just try to fluently connect each sweep?

Vibrato will only cover your mistakes for so long, and to non-musicians. Its like using way too much gain to try to make yourself sound better (though I am a bit of a gain wh0re ). I would just slow it down, use a metronome, and find the fastest tempo that you can play it fluidly. Practice it at that until it seems easy to you, then you should be able to do it like that at full speed.

Edit: Forgot that that word was considered profanity. Usually can slip by with anything that they'd say on prime time TV.
Where's Waldo?
Last edited by chadreed32 at Jul 14, 2011,
Ahh thanks
Do you know any other sweeping pieces I can try?
Honestly I only have canon sweeps, just different variations LMAO.
Getting pretty bored of canon sweeps hah.
Gear

Academy Electric Guitar

Roland Micro Cube Amp
Academy 15W Amp
Peavey Vypyr 30
Ill compile a list and edit it into this post

For now:

Miles of Machines - Jeff Loomis

That should keep you busy for a while.

Edit: Try some Yngwie stuff.
Where's Waldo?
OMFGG WTFK LMFAOOOO.
Damn right it'll keep me busy LMAO..
holy crap this is what I call next level sweeping..
Oh god..
Well I like this
Gear

Academy Electric Guitar

Roland Micro Cube Amp
Academy 15W Amp
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by whoahesgood
OMFGG WTFK LMFAOOOO.
Damn right it'll keep me busy LMAO..
holy crap this is what I call next level sweeping..
Oh god..
Well I like this

Yeah, Its pretty tough. I can BS my way through it, but its a sloppy BSing at that, not something I'm proud enough of to play for real. I've got the first minute down though (Other than the intro, doesn't feel right playing the rest without being able to play that cleanly) Good luck with it though.

Edit: This is the best video I can find of him playing it. Yes I linked that whole sentence. Even that one, and this one.
Where's Waldo?
Just as a disclaimer, I hope this will come off as more constructive than blatantly offensive, since I'll be listing things that could do with improvement rather than praising the already solid aspects.

I'd recommend slowing down your arpeggios by a lot, for a few reasons:

- as has been noted above, you need to work on fluently connecting each arpeggio to the next for a successive progression. You may even want to isolate the tail (the lowest or highest three notes of each arpeggio) so that you can focus solely on the transition.

- a few notes are mispronounced or have bad intonation (more noticeable in the first 10-or-so seconds than later on), which comes from not fretting the note completely or bending the string slightly, respectively. Start out very slowly, making sure that each note is pronounced precisely through a healthy fretting posture; using finger tips to fret, muting with the undersides of your fingers for higher strings than the one currently being played and muting with the tip for the string directly lower than the one being played .etc.

- some notes are mistargeted, in that you may fret a tone higher or lower. This is most noticeable at the high end when the root note repeats, but it could be something worth looking into across all of your patterns and sequences. You may even want to break the arpeggio up even more, bouncing between two or three notes in a sequence (for example, playing your fourth, third and second string consecutively and in a loop for each arpeggio shape) to improve dexterity and clarity throughout the whole shape - not just the lowest and highest notes.

- I'd also recommend using a clean channel and low-gain channel to help you balance your dynamics and pick attack, as some notes pop out more than others, which may be drowned out. You might also want to try alternate picking your arpeggios to determine the tonal quality your sweeping will need to match; one way you can practice this is slowly alternate picking each arpeggio up and down, successively, and then sweeping while maintaining the flow. If your sweeping is as articulated, precise and controlled as your alternate picking, you're on the right track.

Again, I really don't mean for this post to come off as condescending, or anything of the sort, but I'm sure you'll have a more confident sweeping technique if you designate some time to each of thee factors per day, as they certainly helped me!

EDIT: Here's a link of Kiko Loureiro, one of the guitarists for Angra, explaining the idea of matching your alternate picking and sweep picking tones. This discussion starts at about 2:18, though there are some finger independence exercises in the first two minutes if you're interested; in terms of playing posture, he's definitely a guy to look up to and try to emulate.
Last edited by juckfush at Jul 14, 2011,
I know this means nothing BUT
In that video... your pinky makes me happy
Yes, I'm from California, yes I like Hockey, no I do not like the Ducks, yes I like the Kings!
Thanks for the advice.
I've started on it
Gear

Academy Electric Guitar

Roland Micro Cube Amp
Academy 15W Amp
Peavey Vypyr 30
For something in a similar vein to Canon Rock and more approachable than the Loomis piece, check out Jason Becker's Altitudes. That will give all of your techniques a real work out, but the sweeping passage is a famous early example of using a series of sweep arpeggios to imply a melody. It's a really fun piece to play and it'll definitely provide a (surmountable) challenge.
It's way too hard for me..
The sweeps I do are 90% one note per string.

I'm starting to learn multiple notes per string sweeping hahh.
Gear

Academy Electric Guitar

Roland Micro Cube Amp
Academy 15W Amp
Peavey Vypyr 30
Then why no challenge yourself? The only way to get better is to challenge your abilities and learn to play to a higher standard.