Greetings. An Australian here.

I'm after an amp that will give me a brooootall chunky distortion, something that will suit a post-hardcore/metal-core sound (think asking alexandria, of mice an men, BMTH etc).
I have been using a 15 year old marshall 80 watt valvestate combo amp for as long as i can remember, I love it but it's obvioulsy not going to produce the volume needed to play gigs with.
I am on a budget. I'm not forking out 6,000 on a mesa stack for shitz n giggles. I am just after a half stack thats reliable, has a sweet distortion and will just get the job done for my first few gigs.
I'll be playing a ESP LTD MH-1000 with EMGS.
I don't F**K with effects too often.
Lastly I have been looking at/playing the following heads: Peavey Viper 120 tube, Peavey valve king, Ibanez Tone Blaster Xtreme TBX150H (no one has it over here but reviews and videos are suprising and it is dirt cheap), Randall RH150G3 plus, B-52 LS-100 and a Bugera 1960 Classic 150W. I'm probally going to get a second hand Marshall 1960a cab from somewhere otherwise ill get the cheapest thing with celestions in em.

No matter what i decide on I'll be purchasing from America, even with shipping amps are half the price (thank you international economy and f**k you Australian music shop rip offs).

Help would be deeply appriciated (thats what she said). I've tested many, many amps and been thinking for a while and I'd though i'd get some advice from you guys.

Cheers.
You can get good volume out of an 80W SS amp. certainly enough to gig.

But what you really need is a new amp. I dont have much to offer in opinion on the heads (Peavey and Ibanez are not my favourite musical goods manufacturers), but as an alternative to a second hand 1960A (excellent cab I know, but even 2nd hand they're expensive out here) I'd go for an Orange PCC412C.
I dont know if you're anywhere near Brisbane, but Musicians Pro Shop does great deals on Orange gear and Orange cabs come with V30s. I got a 2x12 to go with my marshall and it roars. I think they quoted me about $1000 for a 4x12, which is a crazy good price in Australia for a new cab of that quality.

EDIT: just saw your location. I thought there were some really good music retailers in Melbourne?

EDIT2: you know if you buy from the states you'll probably have to replace a bunch of fuses and rebias the amp to get it to accept 240V? Just so you know...
Last edited by guy_tebache at Jul 14, 2011,
Quote by guy_tebache

But what you really need is a new amp. I dont have much to offer in opinion on the heads (Peavey and Ibanez are not my favourite musical goods manufacturers), but as an alternative to a second hand 1960A (excellent cab I know, but even 2nd hand they're expensive out here) I'd go for an Orange PCC412C.
I dont know if you're anywhere near Brisbane, but Musicians Pro Shop does great deals on Orange gear and Orange cabs come with V30s. I got a 2x12 to go with my marshall and it roars. I think they quoted me about $1000 for a 4x12, which is a crazy good price in Australia for a new cab of that quality.

EDIT: just saw your location. I thought there were some really good music retailers in Melbourne?

EDIT2: you know if you buy from the states you'll probably have to replace a bunch of fuses and rebias the amp to get it to accept 240V? Just so you know...

Thanks for the reply dude! There are a few Marshall 1960a's on ebay I was thinking i could pick up an average condition one for 600ish? But thanks I'll def check out the Orange PCC412C. I don't really want to go over 600 for the cab though. but yeah
Quote by guy_tebache

Oh and I didn't even think about the rebs and fuses... It wouldn't cost much to swap though