Does shoving one of your digits into your ear-hole really let you hear what you sound like? Or is it a load of malarkey?
it helps me when i scream live and i cant here the vocals over the guitars because there are no on stage monitors, so i would guess it helps with normal singing too
Thanks for the answers so far guys.

I think I might have to use it this weekend when I go to jam with a band I want to join. It always happens - show up to a jam, sing a song, during that song complain about how I can't hear myself, they say they can hear me fine, I'm like , jam ends quickly and badly because I can't hear myself so I have only a vague idea what notes I'm singing. Bah, rant rant rant.

Anyway, go on gents! Answer like you're on "So You Think You Can Reply?"
Have you tried earplugs? Not really an answer to your question but it may help you hear yourself with other instruments and no monitors if you plan on trying this. Just an idea "smiley face shrug I don't know how to do"
Quote by merriman44
Na, Schnecter, you've given the best answer thus far brudda. Ear plugs(once your used to them) will let you hear your tone AND pitch all while keeping your hearing. Seriously, they are fantastic.

*peaks interest* can you recommend any good ones? or will just any do?
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Quote by GABarrie
*peaks interest* can you recommend any good ones? or will just any do?

Yeah can we use some of those little foam cylinder ones? I have some of those, so it would be nice.
Tbh, all I really want to know is if these are any good

http://www.thomann.de/gb/millenium_music_safe_gehoerschutz.htm

I ask primarily because I'm poor (hence the cheap product choice), but I'm also partially deaf and have real difficulty hearing myself sing to be able to judge tone and pitch.
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Quote by Cowless
Yeah can we use some of those little foam cylinder ones? I have some of those, so it would be nice.

Yea. Any ear plugs should work. I use them when jammin with my brother and I have to turn my amp up. For me I really don't like to use them probably because I would rather stand away from my amp than use earplugs and hear the tone, but from using them at the workplace and actually hearing what your voice sounds like with earplugs in, I noticed I could really hear my self within my head. I use whatever my dad grabbed me from work which are some in ear, foam ear plugs. They seem like they would really work pretty well with hearing your voice over other instruments. Just make sure you pinch them and get them in your ear all the way
Sorry for the late reply. Yes, any standard foam ear plugs will work wonders. You can spend the lump sum to get real nice ones but for the beginner, just find some you like.

Remember that decibels is a logarithmic scale so a change from 1 to 10 is less of a noise level change than 30-40. For loud rock/metal I use ear plugs that are certified to cut 29-33Db.

Horns up and keep it loud fellers!
Great. Brilliant, even. Because there's no way I can deal with mic technique and having no idea what note I'm hitting at the same time, but now I should be able to manage both.
Definitely Cowless. My bands drummer is one of the loudest in Ohio (that we know of) and I stand directly in front of him. We use a 100w 6505 and some technological computer beast from Rocktronics for the other amp (its also 100w). After all this I have no issues hearing myself with an underpowered POS beringer PA