I'm going to be building a Warmoth guitar soon. Its going to be a P90 in the neck and a humbucker in the bridge. Would it work to run it just through a toggle switch and a kill switch(so I could turn off the sound without unplugging the guitar)? What would be the downsides to this other than the obvious having no volume/tone adjustment?
Last edited by MrCloudshoe at Jul 15, 2011,
Other than those two, there's no downside (other than it looking abnormal). Having Pots in your circuit actually cuts tone, whether they're all the way up or not. So you're really not losing anything if you don't need them. Plus it would be easier to wire, and would require less routing.
Where's Waldo?
Yeah you can do it if I under stand you corectly. Nikki Sixx's signature bass had no volume or tone pots just a toggle switch as a kill switch. I don't think there really would be any down side to it apart from not being able to have the veriable tone and volume control but I may be wrong there. If anything I would say it would have ''better'' tone and less noise because there would be less wireing.
Quote by da_
Yeah you can do it if I under stand you corectly. Nikki Sixx's signature bass had no volume or tone pots just a toggle switch as a kill switch. I don't think there really would be any down side to it apart from not being able to have the veriable tone and volume control but I may be wrong there. If anything I would say it would have ''better'' tone and less noise because there would be less wireing.

No not like the Nikki 6 bass. I want there to be a pickup selector toggle AND a mini-toggle used as a kill. Sorry, reading my original post now it didn't quite make sense the way I meant for it to.
That wiring is totally possible and makes sense, but when you wire everything directly to the jack you're not exactly improving tone, just changing it

With the volume pot at full on a normal guitar you still have a 500k or 250k load between hot and ground. When you take that away you get a bit more volume and quite a bit of high end

I'm not trying to discourage against it, just letting you know that it may be overly bright if you aren't expecting it
If anything, maybe include a third switch in your wiring to act as a tone switch
One position sends the output directly to the jack, the other adds a 500k or 250k or whatever value resistor in parallel with the output
What about something like how Neil Young has a switch on his Les Paul so it removes the controls and the pickups go straight out? That way you could still have the knobs if you want them.