(I'm not following the suggested format but will add a TL;DR at the end can include extra info if needed. Oh and sorry for the massive wall of text)

Before I start with a wall of text, I should note that I live in northern Canada, so used gear is hard to come by, but I'm willimg to try to find it, whether it be on eBay or elsewhere

So I've been looking to upgrade my rig lately and I've run into a few issues. I play lots of metal, but I need a versatile high gain tone because I'm into just about any form of the stuff, particularily modern progressive/melodic death metal (Opeth, In Mourning, etc.), stoner/doom/post/sludge (Cult of Luna, Mastodon, High on Fire) and metalcore (Protest the Hero, Misery Signals). I also need good clean and lower gain tones, because I also play ambient/post/prog rock.

The main option I've been considering is picking up an amp, preferably 2 channels, that will cover the cleans/lower gain tones and getting a one or a couple good distortion pedals for my variety of high gain tones.

Here is my first question : What do you folks think of this idea? My total budget would be in the 1000-1200 dollar range and I would invest in quality pedals. Not 500$ ones, but definetily not 60$ ones either.

In terms of what I have been looking at, I was thinking of the Egnater Tweaker, particularily the 40 watt model that will be released in September (hopefully). As for pedals, I was looking at the Amptweaker TightMetal (for the more modern tones) and the Earthbound Audio Supercollider or Supercollider BEAST (for the stoner/sludge tones).

My next question is : What do you think of these choices? Particularily the amp. I'm more than willing to buy two seperate units for high gain tones, because I would hate having to dial in different tones whenever I played different genres, but is there a pedal, possibly with two "channels", that could do everything I need?

My final question is : Is there an amp, preferably 30-60 watts, that could pull of everything I need? I have looked into modelling units but the only on I would really consider is the Line6 Vetta. If you think this is a better or alternative route to take, I would consider any suggestion.

I would prefer a 112 combo to keep shipping costs at a minimum.

My current gear is a PRS SE Mike Mushok baritone with a set of Bareknuckle Warpigs into a Peavey Vypyr 30.

Thanks for the help, if there are any other questions or if I missed an important detail, please don't hesitate to ask.

TL;DR
I listen to lots of different kinds of metal and some rock and need to upgrade my rig. I'm looking into buying an amp that will cover the clean/lower gain tones and buying a pedal or two to create a versatile rig that can have a multitude of high gain tones, for metalcore to sludge metal.

Budget is around 1000-1200$, I live in northern Canada so used gear is hard to come but I'm willing to look.

If you think this is a good idea, which amp (I've been looking at the Egnater Tweaker 40, essentially the same as the 15 but with some more voicing switches and 2 channels) and pedals (so far my choices would be the AmpTweaker TightMetal for modern tones and the Earthbound Audio Supercollider or BEAST for sludgier tones, I would prefer to buy 2 pedals than to have to change mysettings everytime I change genre) would you suggest. If not, what would you suggest? I would prefer not to go for a modelling rig, but I have considered the Line6 Vetta. For wattage I was looking for 30-60 watts, would prefer a 112 combo because of shippings costs.

Thanks
Y'all don't say that
Just to clarify, are you talking Territories North, or like, Northern Quebec North? Because making it to somewhere like a Long & McQuade would at least let you try some stuff too.
Quote by Soccerguy
Just to clarify, are you talking Territories North, or like, Northern Quebec North? Because making it to somewhere like a Long & McQuade would at least let you try some stuff too.

Territories, I live in Yellowknife, my local guitar store carries overpriced Fenders and Marshalls along with modelling stuff. I will be going to the Toronto region in August and I will probably visit a couple guitar stores there.
Y'all don't say that
I would imagine that something like the 6505+ 112 would be the cheapest approach to what you want, altho I don't think it'll cover everything perfectly. An alternative would be the 5150 III 50 watts.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
You sound like a perfect candidate for something like a Peavey Ultra/XXX/JSX (aall quite similar) I have an Ultra and it is a versatile beast. I play modern metal mainly, and I favored the high gain of the Ultra over my 6505 when I had it. And the Ultra is one of the most versatile amps I've played on.
Not sure of amplifiers,but from what I've heard,the Wampler Triple Wreck is the best high-gain distortion pedal out there.It does cost around 300$ though...
My two cents would be on either a Peavy Ultra Plus or Bugera 333XL. Or, if possible, a Dual Rectifier (Tremoverb combo) if lucky.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Quote by Levi79
You sound like a perfect candidate for something like a Peavey Ultra/XXX/JSX (aall quite similar) I have an Ultra and it is a versatile beast. I play modern metal mainly, and I favored the high gain of the Ultra over my 6505 when I had it. And the Ultra is one of the most versatile amps I've played on.

Just what I was thinking.

Short of using something like an AxeFX that you can program you will always have to dial in your amp when you change genres. Even with an AxeFX you will have to dial it in when you create the patches. Stick whatever you like in front of the amp, you still have to dial it in.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Laney VH100r
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
A 5150/6505 would be able to nail all of those genres, really. The only area it would fall short is the ambient/post/prog.

An Ultra/XXX is a good option as well, but it's not really as dark/heavy, in my experience, and I wouldn't take one over a 6505 for death metal.

A Vypyr Tube would also be good, especially to nail all the versatility you need. Again though, My 5150 slays my Vypyrs when it comes to death metal. But somethings gotta give somewhere when it comes to versatility with a budget.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
A 5150/6505 would be able to nail all of those genres, really. The only area it would fall short is the ambient/post/prog.

An Ultra/XXX is a good option as well, but it's not really as dark/heavy, in my experience, and I wouldn't take one over a 6505 for death metal.

A Vypyr Tube would also be good, especially to nail all the versatility you need. Again though, My 5150 slays my Vypyrs when it comes to death metal. But somethings gotta give somewhere when it comes to versatility with a budget.

It all comes down to preference with the 6505's honestly. I find their clean channel to be a good starting point for delays and ambient effects. Since it's so "flat" a good reverb, delay and chorus will get him some nice ambient tones. Like I said, it's preference, and some people will think otherwise.

I'm not by any means saying that the cleans alone are brilliant.

If you do go for the 5150/6505, you may want to get yourself a true bypass looper so you can have all the effects for the clean channel running through its own loop. To save you from becoming a professional pedal dancer and such.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Last edited by Mopy at Jul 15, 2011,
Quote by Mopy
It all comes down to preference with the 6505's honestly. I find their clean channel to be a good starting point for delays and ambient effects. Since it's so "flat" a good reverb, delay and chorus will get him some nice ambient tones. Like I said, it's preference, and some people will think otherwise.

I'm not by any means saying that the cleans alone are brilliant.

If you do go for the 5150/6505, you may want to get yourself a true bypass looper so you can have all the effects for the clean channel running through its own loop. To save you from becoming a professional pedal dancer and such.

Oh, I completely agree with you. I'm just used to being called a heretic around here for saying that these amps have decent clean channels Most people don't like them, or simply don't take the time to EQ them, so I just assume.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Go used and get a mesa rectoverb the most versatile 2 ch. amp ive ever played!
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by Offworld92
Oh, I completely agree with you. I'm just used to being called a heretic around here for saying that these amps have decent clean channels Most people don't like them, or simply don't take the time to EQ them, so I just assume.

I feel for you man, when I got my 6505 I was expecting some sorry excuse for cleans after reading all these negative posts around here. Although I was quite surprised with what I heard, everyone makes them out to be some kind of burden to have in such a fine amp, although I find them easily passable and don't see what all the fuss is over them.

ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Alright, thanks for the suggestions. My issue with the 6505/5150/XXX/JSX heads are that they are 120 watts and the fact that I live in a residential neighborhood. I know I would be getting most of my tone from the pre-amp, but from what I've heard you still need to get the amp quite loud before it sounds at its best. I've heard the same about the 6505+ 112 combo, that it sounds quite fizzy at low volume.

Anyone have experience that would prove otherwise?

Another issue would be a cab. I could most likely find a used 212, but shipping would be reallllly expensive.

Also, would you suggest the 6505/5150 212 combo over the 6505?

Thanks to everyone who responded, it's a huge help and I'm really grateful

EDIT: I was doing a bit of research and came upon the Carvin V3M. Does anyone have experience with these amps? If so, do you think it could do both stoner/sludge tones and metalcore/prog death tones?
Y'all don't say that
Last edited by jackblackyeah17 at Jul 15, 2011,
Quote by jackblackyeah17
EDIT: I was doing a bit of research and came upon the Carvin V3M. Does anyone have experience with these amps? If so, do you think it could do both stoner/sludge tones and metalcore/prog death tones?

Hmmm some UGers are fan-boying the V3M lots a few weeks ago... I've no idea where they've disappeared to.

The V3M is supposedly very versatile (like the V3)... clips on Youtube also back up that claim... altho I'm not so sure about stoner / sludge. I tend to associate stoner / sludge with Matamps most of the time.

Just so you know the 5150 III is quite a different beast from the 5150.

And 50 watts isn't much softer than 100 watts.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jul 15, 2011,
I'll fanboy the V3M till they get back LOL!
They are 3 channel amps with anything from super clean to super high gain and everything in between.
They can run at 50w, 22w, and even 7w
Based in the Original V3, they should sound AWESOME
3 choices of voicing for each channel. If you can't find a tone you like here....your in big trouble LOL!
ONLY problem with them, is you won't find them in stores. They do have a 10 day "trial" period so you can see if you like it.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Quote by jackblackyeah17
Alright, thanks for the suggestions. My issue with the 6505/5150/XXX/JSX heads are that they are 120 watts and the fact that I live in a residential neighborhood. I know I would be getting most of my tone from the pre-amp, but from what I've heard you still need to get the amp quite loud before it sounds at its best. I've heard the same about the 6505+ 112 combo, that it sounds quite fizzy at low volume.

Anyone have experience that would prove otherwise?

Another issue would be a cab. I could most likely find a used 212, but shipping would be reallllly expensive.

Also, would you suggest the 6505/5150 212 combo over the 6505? ...
Go JSX for the versatility and it has more than enough Gain on tap. I assure you that you won't need to really bother your neighbors to get the volume and tone that you'll need. As far as 212 cabs, how about just ordering the speakers and building one yourself. Go with Celestion G12K100 or Eminence Swamp Thang paired with a Vintage 30 or WGS Veteran 30.

BTW, you can score a JSX for cheap, average of $700 used.

Good Luck!

WIZARDS play well with Swamp Thangs also.
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
How much would a Randall RM22 be up there in Canada with a Blackface and Plexi module? Add in an OD and/or an EQ and you're good to go for low volume and versatility. A used RM50 would provide you with more muscle for gigging, some on-board reverb, and still great low volume tones.

Or, an Egnater MOD50, if they still make them...
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Jul 15, 2011,
Quote by Vinson
I'll fanboy the V3M till they get back LOL!
They are 3 channel amps with anything from super clean to super high gain and everything in between.
They can run at 50w, 22w, and even 7w
Based in the Original V3, they should sound AWESOME
3 choices of voicing for each channel. If you can't find a tone you like here....your in big trouble LOL!
ONLY problem with them, is you won't find them in stores. They do have a 10 day "trial" period so you can see if you like it.

The only beef I have with the V3m is that Carvin's amps sound generic to me. They sorta lack a signature tone.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
how much do Mesa Mark IIIs go for in Canada?? they seem to fetch $800 or so in the US so you should be alright, definitely one of the best sounding amps i've ever played and very versatile gain even with the shared EQ
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Alright, thanks for the suggestions.

So far on my list of amps to look further into are the Peavey 6505/5150/XXX/JSX, the Mesa Rectoverb/Tremoverb, Laney VH100r, Carvin V3M and the Randall RM50.

Quote by Shinozoku
How much would a Randall RM22 be up there in Canada with a Blackface and Plexi module? Add in an OD and/or an EQ and you're good to go for low volume and versatility. A used RM50 would provide you with more muscle for gigging, some on-board reverb, and still great low volume tones.

Or, an Egnater MOD50, if they still make them...

I've heard lots about this amp, but I'm not sure how much it would go for. How much do they sell for used in the States?

EDIT:

Quote by shredftw
how much do Mesa Mark IIIs go for in Canada?? they seem to fetch $800 or so in the US so you should be alright, definitely one of the best sounding amps i've ever played and very versatile gain even with the shared EQ

The only place I could pick one up would be eBay, because where I live the used market is non-existant. But I will look into it.
Y'all don't say that
Last edited by jackblackyeah17 at Jul 15, 2011,
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Last edited by shredftw at Jul 15, 2011,
Quote by ragingkitty
The only beef I have with the V3m is that Carvin's amps sound generic to me. They sorta lack a signature tone.

While I can't comment on the V3M specifically, I will say my V3 sounds ANYTHING but generic! Perhaps not the "Signature" Carvin X100B tone, but it does have it's own sounds....lots of them.

I have owned quite a few amps in the last year or so...averaging 1 every month or 2. The V3 ended my quest for tone. it's THAT good.
Quote by jackblackyeah17
I've heard lots about this amp, but I'm not sure how much it would go for. How much do they sell for used in the States?

Ebay: RM50 goes used between $300 at the lowest, $500 at the highest. New it's closer to $800 though, and that's empty with no modules.

Modules are usually between $100-200 used and $200-300 new. Also, the used price depends on if you get a modded one or not. Which by the way, the modded ones are totally worth it!

Egnater... I'm ignorant to the price range, but it's safe to assume $100 more on everything.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Vinson
While I can't comment on the V3M specifically, I will say my V3 sounds ANYTHING but generic! Perhaps not the "Signature" Carvin X100B tone, but it does have it's own sounds....lots of them.

I have owned quite a few amps in the last year or so...averaging 1 every month or 2. The V3 ended my quest for tone. it's THAT good.

Maybe, I dunno... I mean I can't hear a Carvin tone.

I can hear a record and say, "Oh that's a Marshall, and there's a Mesa with a Krank for the chuggs"

or "Oh, nice Fender cleans" etc etc.... but I can't identify a "Carvin tone". Maybe its just me... but I just can't hear a Carvin, like associating a particular identifying tonal characteristic.

That's just me

Maybe you can tell me what's Carvin's sig tone, Vinson.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
I've been thinking and at this point the most logical situation seems to be the 6505+ 112 with a speaker swap and a pedal or two to help out with the clean channel.

A couple questions: What speaker would you recommend for this amp, to maximize versatility? How difficult is it to install the new speaker? Does it require soldering? Any recommendations for pedals? I would rather buy one or two good pedals than a bunch of average ones.

Also, would swapping tubes help with the tone?
Y'all don't say that
Quote by jackblackyeah17
I've been thinking and at this point the most logical situation seems to be the 6505+ 112 with a speaker swap and a pedal or two to help out with the clean channel.

A couple questions: What speaker would you recommend for this amp, to maximize versatility? How difficult is it to install the new speaker? Does it require soldering? Any recommendations for pedals? I would rather buy one or two good pedals than a bunch of average ones.

Also, would swapping tubes help with the tone?

That'll depend on how you want the frequencies of the final tone to be adjusted.

A speaker swap will require a screw driver, detaching the speaker wires and attaching it to the new ones. Nothing hard. You should be able to do it in 15 minutes.

A chorus and a reverb will help lots with the clean tones. Check out the TC Electronics and Hardwire range. If you can get the Visual Sounds H2O, that's a good chorus/delay combi pedal too.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
That'll depend on how you want the frequencies of the final tone to be adjusted.

I'm not completely sure what you mean by this. As in do I want more lows, more highs, etc?
Y'all don't say that
Quote by jackblackyeah17
I'm not completely sure what you mean by this. As in do I want more lows, more highs, etc?

Every speaker will attenute / enhance certain frequencies... you need to decide how you want the 6505 to sound like. That said, it means you need to have a good feel for what you want to change about the 6505 before you can go about deciding what speaker to plonk in.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
Maybe, I dunno... I mean I can't hear a Carvin tone.

I can hear a record and say, "Oh that's a Marshall, and there's a Mesa with a Krank for the chuggs"

or "Oh, nice Fender cleans" etc etc.... but I can't identify a "Carvin tone". Maybe its just me... but I just can't hear a Carvin, like associating a particular identifying tonal characteristic.

That's just me

Maybe you can tell me what's Carvin's sig tone, Vinson.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it has a Carvin specific tone. It's versatility lets me find tones that I like. Some sound very Mashally, Some very Dual Rec-ish, Some quite Fender-esque and others very 5150 like. With all the adjustments available, you can make it sound like nearly any amp. I guess then you could call it generic. It's capable of awesome tone...whether you can pick it out as a Carvin or not. kinda like all those great amps rolled up into one.

For me, it just gives me the "sounds in my head"
If you can hear it's a Carvin or not, I'm cool with that....as long as it just plain sounds GOOD!

And +1 to everything you said about speakers (perhaps my speaker choice is one reason the V3 sounds so good to me)
Last edited by Vinson at Jul 15, 2011,
Quote by Vinson
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it has a Carvin specific tone. It's versatility lets me find tones that I like. Some sound very Mashally, Some very Dual Rec-ish, Some quite Fender-esque and others very 5150 like. With all the adjustments available, you can make it sound like nearly any amp. I guess then you could call it generic. It's capable of awesome tone...whether you can pick it out as a Carvin or not. kinda like all those great amps rolled up into one.

For me, it just gives me the "sounds in my head"
If you can hear it's a Carvin or not, I'm cool with that....as long as it just plain sounds GOOD!

And +1 to everything you said about speakers (perhaps my speaker choice is one reason the V3 sounds so good to me)

Ah, see that's the one thing that always bugged me about Carvins (i've tried the Legacy and another one similar to the V3 - maybe it was the previous version, I can't recall).

I'm not saying its bad, its actually quite good, but it just doesn't sound.... signature... or unique.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
swapping the speaker seemed to be a big thing on the 6505+112 but I think it sounds fine stock. People that have done that said they didn't notice a big enough difference. The cleans on the 112 combo are a bit better imo due to the design. I think it is a hella amp for $580. Skip the speaker swap and maybe look some different tubes (down the road) and some pedals like kitty was saying. Amp has reverb already

I know it gets rec'd a lot here on UG and may not be quite up to par with some of the other amps listed in this thread but should work fine. Flip it if it doesn't.
i have a 6505+ 112 and you don't have to blast it to get decent tones from it, obviously it sounds better turned up but you can turn it down and have a good sound coming from it. i think the stock speaker sounds fine, it might possibly sound better with a swap but really i don't think its completely necessary. the stock tubes are decent but just ok, a swap would probably help get a better sound. as far as versatility goes, this thing is monster at any kind of high gain sound, except maybe scoop but who buys a 6505 to cut out the mids this thing is famous for? the clean channels sounds pretty cool, turn up the pre gain a little and its a nice gritty tone great for ambient/post music, plus theres a crunch switch to get it even grittier. i love my peavey and i think you would like it too
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
Quote by Goodtimes666
who buys a 6505 to cut out the mids this thing is famous for?

Practically all the n00bs coming onto UG looking for settings because they can't get that metallica tone?
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
I consider the 6505 one of the amps it is acceptable to cut mids on, because of the sheer amount of mids it has.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
swapping the speaker seemed to be a big thing on the 6505+112 but I think it sounds fine stock. People that have done that said they didn't notice a big enough difference. The cleans on the 112 combo are a bit better imo due to the design. I think it is a hella amp for $580. Skip the speaker swap and maybe look some different tubes (down the road) and some pedals like kitty was saying. Amp has reverb already

I know it gets rec'd a lot here on UG and may not be quite up to par with some of the other amps listed in this thread but should work fine. Flip it if it doesn't.
That went for some silly price last year. After the coupon + some special discount, it went for a bit over $400, new! I haven't felt the need to change the speaker but switching around some NOS preamps was fun. The 6505+ is quite Middy, the Tungsram made the Mids (low to high) smoother. The RFT enhanced the low Mid and Lows and made the stock speakers a bit thicker.

IpponEdit: ^ Agreed!