Going to jump directly into the details that the sticky at the top asks for before posting before I get into a paragraph about other stuff.

Budget? - Ideally around $500, but if ABSOLUTELY NEEDED I can stretch to about $800

Genres? - Indie Rock (Arcade Fire, Tokyo Police Club, Silversun Pickups, The Shins, Modest Mouse), Rock (Breaking Benjamin, 12 Stones, Lostprophets, Taproot, 10 Years, Alter Bridge, The Used), Alternative (Brand New, Radiohead, Chevelle, Switchfoot)

New or Used? - I have absolutely no problems with used equip.

Home or Gig? - Home practice entirely.

Closest City? - Baltimore, MD

Current Gear?
- I have a Marshall MG100HDFX head on some random Marshall cab and it's just atrocious, I got completely scammed by the name.

Guitar wise
: Epiphone Les Paul Standard, Ibanez IC400

Now, I really really would prefer if I could keep it under $500. I'm just a beginner on the electric (I've played acoustic for 6 years though), and I have no idea about effects pedals or any quality amps.

I don't need the top of the line amps, I want a GOOD practice amp since I won't be gigging.

Effects Pedals wise, I'm just as clueless there. For the genres above and those kind of styles of those bands, what pedals would I want? I don't think I can get many pedals AND an amp with the budget, so would a combo amp be better? I'm completely in the dark about pedals/effects.

I'm open to a higher quality up to $500 combo amp if it has GOOD effects. I also require a headphone jack on on the amp.

Again, I can go to $800 if ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED, but as I'm just starting out I don't think that's entirely necessary considering I won't be gigging at all.

Thanks for all the help in advance, if you need more information feel free to ask. I'm completely at the mercy of you guys here so any input would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by remedy1419 at Jul 15, 2011,
Fender Mustang I feel.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
Fender Mustang I feel.

From quick Googling that shows that its a $99 combo amp, wouldn't the effects be sub-par? Or would I just have to get pedals to get the effects I want with it?
Roland Cube 40XL if you want a good, portable practice amp with an awesome built in looper and many kinds of sounds. The classic stack with a little delay, half distortion would suit all of your needs and theirs a tonne of different distorted and clean channels. Take it from someone who's had one for a little over 6 months, it's the best practice amp money can buy.

Also comes with many built in effects so you won't need any pedals (Well maybe a wah pedal but apart from that, YOUR SET!!!)

I got mine for $315 but i'm in Australia. In the USA it would be about $200. If you want to spend a little more, get an 80XL.

Quote by remedy1419
From quick Googling that shows that its a $99 combo amp, wouldn't the effects be sub-par? Or would I just have to get pedals to get the effects I want with it?

Apologies, I didn't mean the Mustang 1

You should read it as "Fender Mustang, I feel"

I'd pick either the II or the III.. more options, FX and amp models to mess around with.

The II is $200, while the III is $300.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by Naruto00121
Roland Cube 40XL if you want a good, portable practice amp with an awesome built in looper and many kinds of sounds. The classic stack with a little delay, half distortion would suit all of your needs and theirs a tonne of different distorted and clean channels. Take it from someone who's had one for a little over 6 months, it's the best practice amp money can buy.

Also comes with many built in effects so you won't need any pedals (Well maybe a wah pedal but apart from that, YOUR SET!!!)

I got mine for $315 but i'm in Australia. In the USA it would be about $200. If you want to spend a little more, get an 80XL.

That sounds pretty awesome, from reading their website they've got tons of effects. Are you sure the built in effects are good? That's one of my biggest conditions for a combo amp after being burned by this craptastic MG. I would't need ANY pedal (except maybe a wah and fuzz down the line?)

Is the 80XL just a bigger amp or are the effects even higher quality?

Quote by ragingkitty
Apologies, I didn't mean the Mustang 1

You should read it as "Fender Mustang, I feel"

I'd pick either the II or the III.. more options, FX and amp models to mess around with.

The II is $200, while the III is $300.

And you're sure the effects are really good quality?

Sorry for being so anal to the both of you about whether or not the effects are good, I just want some assurance that they won't screw me over and will actually sound great instead of this POS marshall.
You could do a lot worse than a Vyper Tube.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by remedy1419

Sorry for being so anal to the both of you about whether or not the effects are good, I just want some assurance that they won't screw me over and will actually sound great instead of this POS marshall.

Look dude, I didn't sell you the MG, and I'm here helping without expecting reimbursement.

You wanna know if its good quality, go try one. You're basically asking me if a durian is tasty. Some people love it, others hate it. Same idea. Some people like the Mustang, others hate it. I personally don't like it, but I know it does that indie and alt sound pretty well.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by Cathbard
You could do a lot worse than a Vyper Tube.

Any specific model? I read that the lower end vypers effects are sub par, truth to that? Should I go for a 100?

Edit: You said TUBE, so that means the Tube 60. Gotcha. Thanks!
Quote by ragingkitty
Look dude, I didn't sell you the MG, and I'm here helping without expecting reimbursement.

You wanna know if its good quality, go try one. You're basically asking me if a durian is tasty. Some people love it, others hate it. Same idea. Some people like the Mustang, others hate it. I personally don't like it, but I know it does that indie and alt sound pretty well.

Didn't mean to grill you, just explaining my rationale. My apologies. I really appreciate the input, in no way shape or form was I intending to offend or be unreasonable.

If you want reimbursement for the help I'll happily oblige.
Quote by remedy1419
That sounds pretty awesome, from reading their website they've got tons of effects. Are you sure the built in effects are good? That's one of my biggest conditions for a combo amp after being burned by this craptastic MG. I would't need ANY pedal (except maybe a wah and fuzz down the line?)

Is the 80XL just a bigger amp or are the effects even higher quality?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPNOgdmiW5U

This demo has all you need to know about it. The 80XL would be have better headroom but the sound would be more powerful because of the bigger speaker and the 80 watts that powers it. The effects are pretty much the same.

And the effects are ****ing fantastic.

Last edited by Naruto00121 at Jul 15, 2011,
Quote by remedy1419
Didn't mean to grill you, just explaining my rationale. My apologies. I really appreciate the input, in no way shape or form was I intending to offend or be unreasonable.

If you want reimbursement for the help I'll happily oblige.

No I'm not an arse about it.

On a serious note, you have to try it. Like I said, its like asking me if a durian tastes nice, I hate it, but plenty of others I know love it. That's just it, the amp may be a good amp, but you might not like it.

Personally I'm not really for the Vypyr, but again its a matter of tastes. The other alternative is a Vox, but you'll want to note that Vox's model's aren't exactly spot on, though they definitely do sound good.

Also, when it comes to modeling, you have to realise that cheaper does not always mean lower quality. It might mean less features.

Like in the case of the Vypyr, what do you mean by sub-par? Does it mean that the 30 sounds better than the 15? Cath recommended a tube Vypyr, that's a different animal from your usual Vypyrs.

Again, go test the amps. Don't take our advice as end all, but as options you should look at.

Just so you know the amps recommended so far all come with effects, so you won't need to worry about that for the time being.

EDIT:

I know effects are important to you, but it also occured to me that the following also merit consideration as well for good tones that will fit what you want:
- Egnater Tweaker
- Jet City Pico Valve
- Jet City JCA22 (when its released, but it shouldn't be more expensive than the JCA20)
- Blackstar HT5

The only problem is that you'll need a simple OD like a TS for the heavier rock, and you will need to invest in effects separately.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jul 15, 2011,
Ive read good things about the Mustang iii. Would suit your needs as you wouldnt need to buy a multi fx pedal or anything.

Yeah, the Blackstar HT5 is a good shout too although it doesnt come with any fx so you'd have to buy them seperate.

If in doubt, go down your local guitar shop and try some out
Quote by ragingkitty
No I'm not an arse about it.

On a serious note, you have to try it. Like I said, its like asking me if a durian tastes nice, I hate it, but plenty of others I know love it. That's just it, the amp may be a good amp, but you might not like it.

Personally I'm not really for the Vypyr, but again its a matter of tastes. The other alternative is a Vox, but you'll want to note that Vox's model's aren't exactly spot on, though they definitely do sound good.

Also, when it comes to modeling, you have to realise that cheaper does not always mean lower quality. It might mean less features.

Like in the case of the Vypyr, what do you mean by sub-par? Does it mean that the 30 sounds better than the 15? Cath recommended a tube Vypyr, that's a different animal from your usual Vypyrs.

Again, go test the amps. Don't take our advice as end all, but as options you should look at.

Just so you know the amps recommended so far all come with effects, so you won't need to worry about that for the time being.

EDIT:

I know effects are important to you, but it also occured to me that the following also merit consideration as well for good tones that will fit what you want:
- Egnater Tweaker
- Jet City Pico Valve
- Jet City JCA22 (when its released, but it shouldn't be more expensive than the JCA20)
- Blackstar HT5

The only problem is that you'll need a simple OD like a TS for the heavier rock, and you will need to invest in effects separately.

Is going for a nice high quality amp + and separate high quality head PLUS pedals (which are like $100-200 each)

Doing that seem out of my price range, and wouldn't they be a big excessive for home play?

That is except for the Jet City JCA20/22, which is well within my price range.

I'll add it to the list of amps to go check out at the store.

Thanks.
I don't deny that it's going for a little over your budget. However, only the Tweaker will really blow your budget. The others are well within your budget, and you can slowly acquire pedals.

Tweaker - $600 to $650
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/egnater-tweaker-series-head-and-tweaker-112x-half-stack/424080000000000
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/egnater-tweaker-112-15w-1x12-tube-guitar-combo-amp/423554000283000

Blackstar - $450
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/blackstar-ht-series-ht-5r-tube-guitar-combo-amp/h75307000000000

However, other than the Tweaker, the others will be within your budget.

JCA20 - $350
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jet-city-amplification-jca20h-and-jca12s-half-stack/584695000000000

Pico Valve + cab - $430
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jet-city-amplification-picovalve-5w-tube-guitar-amp-head/430426000000000
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jet-city-amplification-jca12s-1x12-guitar-speaker-cabinet/583598000702306

Personally, I'm for the idea of getting a really good quality amp, given that its the foundations of your tone.

While admittedly it is a little higher than what you might be comfortable with, think of it this way... get something that you really like, and will keep you interested, that way you'll stay with your amp longer.

On the other hand, getting a modeler like a VT or Mustang will open up one problem. With the exception of a few modelers (e.g. Vypyr for the Peavey & high gain models, Axe FX), most modelers tend to produce generic sounds. Even if it is good, it still doesn't beat having the real thing.

When it comes to amp, I'd rather spend money to buy an amp that's outstanding at a few things, than to buy an amp that's average at everything.

If you get something that'll keep you happy, you'll stay with it longer, instead of selling or trading it off after a year or so.

Whether or not its excessive, its up to you. Personally I'd rather spend more on one amp that'll keep me happy, than to spend a little bit here and a little there for a few amps that doesn't do anything one thing very well.

After all, if your amp sounds good, your effects will sound good. If your amp sounds average, your effects will sound average, no matter what they cost.

That all said, it also occurred to me that the Bugera V22 might be a good amp to consider too... fire hazard jokes and my usual ragging aside. Plus, its within your price range too - $390

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/bugera-v22-22w-1x12-tube-guitar-combo-amp

The other one that would merit consideration, but has for some reason fallen out of favour with UG is a Blackheart amp

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/blackheart-bh15-112-handsome-devil-series-15w-1x12-tube-guitar-combo-amp/483097000001000

The Handsome Devil ($450) is quite a good amp for its price, just that its a little more middy and low-mid focused than most American amps. Its tone is a little more muscular than most American amps, but not quite British. Its got good cleans that you can push into a driven rock tone.

If you get the Bugera or the Blackheart, you'll need to look towards a distortion pedal for your grit and distortion. I'd recommend the TC Electronic Dark Matter for your dirt, or the Mojo Mojo overdrive if you like it more gritty than the screaming and wailing.

Personally, I'd skip the modelers, save up some more and get one of these amps, then slow build a good pedal collection. You're almost in the range of a good home practice tube amp, just have a little more patience.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
I totally agree with kitty. I was going to suggest the handsome devil, as I own one and love it. I thinkr you would be much better off with that, the jet city, the v22 or something similar than some crappy modeler with digital effects that you don't need. You may even want to look at the VHT special 6 ultra.
Quote by ragingkitty
I don't deny that it's going for a little over your budget. However, only the Tweaker will really blow your budget. The others are well within your budget, and you can slowly acquire pedals.

Tweaker - $600 to $650
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/egnater-tweaker-series-head-and-tweaker-112x-half-stack/424080000000000
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/egnater-tweaker-112-15w-1x12-tube-guitar-combo-amp/423554000283000

Blackstar - $450
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/blackstar-ht-series-ht-5r-tube-guitar-combo-amp/h75307000000000

However, other than the Tweaker, the others will be within your budget.

JCA20 - $350
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jet-city-amplification-jca20h-and-jca12s-half-stack/584695000000000

Pico Valve + cab - $430
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jet-city-amplification-picovalve-5w-tube-guitar-amp-head/430426000000000
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jet-city-amplification-jca12s-1x12-guitar-speaker-cabinet/583598000702306

Personally, I'm for the idea of getting a really good quality amp, given that its the foundations of your tone.

While admittedly it is a little higher than what you might be comfortable with, think of it this way... get something that you really like, and will keep you interested, that way you'll stay with your amp longer.

On the other hand, getting a modeler like a VT or Mustang will open up one problem. With the exception of a few modelers (e.g. Vypyr for the Peavey & high gain models, Axe FX), most modelers tend to produce generic sounds. Even if it is good, it still doesn't beat having the real thing.

When it comes to amp, I'd rather spend money to buy an amp that's outstanding at a few things, than to buy an amp that's average at everything.

If you get something that'll keep you happy, you'll stay with it longer, instead of selling or trading it off after a year or so.

Whether or not its excessive, its up to you. Personally I'd rather spend more on one amp that'll keep me happy, than to spend a little bit here and a little there for a few amps that doesn't do anything one thing very well.

After all, if your amp sounds good, your effects will sound good. If your amp sounds average, your effects will sound average, no matter what they cost.

That all said, it also occurred to me that the Bugera V22 might be a good amp to consider too... fire hazard jokes and my usual ragging aside. Plus, its within your price range too - $390

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/bugera-v22-22w-1x12-tube-guitar-combo-amp

The other one that would merit consideration, but has for some reason fallen out of favour with UG is a Blackheart amp

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/blackheart-bh15-112-handsome-devil-series-15w-1x12-tube-guitar-combo-amp/483097000001000

The Handsome Devil ($450) is quite a good amp for its price, just that its a little more middy and low-mid focused than most American amps. Its tone is a little more muscular than most American amps, but not quite British. Its got good cleans that you can push into a driven rock tone.

If you get the Bugera or the Blackheart, you'll need to look towards a distortion pedal for your grit and distortion. I'd recommend the TC Electronic Dark Matter for your dirt, or the Mojo Mojo overdrive if you like it more gritty than the screaming and wailing.

Personally, I'd skip the modelers, save up some more and get one of these amps, then slow build a good pedal collection. You're almost in the range of a good home practice tube amp, just have a little more patience.

Awesome post, that actually makes way more sense. I'll go try out those amps and see how I like them.

Pedal wise, what kinds would I need and how are you supposed to chain them? Should I start with a distortion pedal? What's the progression of pedals most people do? And what are quality pedals of each type? I listed the genre's and bands I'd be playing, but I haven't the slightest clue what pedal kinds I'd need to play any of that kind of stuff.

Thanks so much for the help.
Quote by remedy1419
Awesome post, that actually makes way more sense. I'll go try out those amps and see how I like them.

Pedal wise, what kinds would I need and how are you supposed to chain them? Should I start with a distortion pedal? What's the progression of pedals most people do? And what are quality pedals of each type? I listed the genre's and bands I'd be playing, but I haven't the slightest clue what pedal kinds I'd need to play any of that kind of stuff.

Thanks so much for the help.

Pay attention to the Pico Valve and the Blackstar, I suspect they may be what you're looking for.

What kind of pedals you'll need really depends on the music played. Depending on the amp, you'll probably need an OD. Then maybe a delay and either a chorus or a reverb. Maybe a wah wah too if you have the money.

OD goes before your amp. Modulation (delay, chorus & reverb) go into the FX loop. The wah wah usually goes before your OD.

What exactly you'll need is really a matter of listening to the songs and figuring out what effects are in use, but typically and OD, delay, chorus and reverb will cover most sonic territory.

Things you can check out include:

Delay: TC Electronics Hall of Fame, Boss DD7
Chorus: Visual sounds Liquid Chorus, MXR Carbon Copy
Reverb: Hardwire Stereo Reverb
OD: TC Electronics MojoMojo, Fulltone OCD, NOC3 Pure Drive, Love Pedal Les Lius, Lovepedal Eternity, a Timmy (good for low gain boost) JHV3 Ghost Drive (my favourite if you can spare the cash, its dynamics and transparency is obscene)
Wah wah: Morley Bad Horsie 2, Ibanez Weeping Demon, Crybaby from hell, Crybaby 535Q

I can recommend other pedals, but these are some you can look at for now. If I think of others I'll add on to the list.

On a budget, those in bold are good bang for your buck.

Unless you're looking to literally recreate an exact tone, these pedals will probably recreate 80% of the tones you'll want, barring the exact gear and sound obviously.

However, for someone getting into mid rangey gear, these are all pretty good starting points.

If you need other pedals, just ask. Just don't ask me to listen to a youtube vid and identify a specific / exact pedal.

If you want, you can also look at adding a fuzz and a phaser to the list.

Fuzz: Almost anything from Devi Ever or Analogman - their fuzz are purportedly great stuff
Phaser: MXR Phase 90

Just a note, don't but all these pedals all at once. Get your amp first. Tweak, twiddle, fondle, grope, molest and love it. Then figure out what you are missing piece by piece. Get that one pedal and rinse, lather and repeat until you know your amp and gear like the back of your hand before moving on to your next piece of gear.

If you get everything all at once, you'll just end up confused and messed up with your effects.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by remedy1419
What's the progression of pedals most people do? And what are quality pedals of each type? I listed the genre's and bands I'd be playing, but I haven't the slightest clue what pedal kinds I'd need to play any of that kind of stuff.

We'll get to the progression piece by piece. UG ain't going nowhere.

Also be careful about asking for extreme quality pedals. It can be misconstrued as boutique or expensive... and pedals can get very expensive.

If you want to know how I progress, this is how I went.

1. OD
2. Chorus
3. OD
4. Tuner
5. OD
6. Delay
7. Power supply
8. OD
9. Phaser
10. OD
11. Reverb

O yes, you'll probably need a tuner as well. Get the TC Electronics Polytune... plenty epic that one.

There's no real progression, you buy what you need to play.

When you get to a power supply, pick up a T-Rex Fuel Tank Jr or a T-Rex Chameleon. Both will serve you well.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
I have a love hate relationship with the Fender Mustang II. In one sense, its cool because it has a bunch of different FX built in which you can alter on your computer. In another sense, I don't think the quality of the FX are all that great. I'd rather have a separate pedal for each FX. However, that could get extremely costly. I don't gig, rather, I just play for my self enjoyment. So I figured instead of buying a ton of pedals, I would get this combo amp. And for $200 I couldn't complain, pretty much the same price for 2 decent pedals.

Also, I don't particularly like this amp on clean. I'd much rather use my Marshall for clean. However, at other times its pretty cool to have all those FX at your fingertips. I think ultimately I am going to figure out which few FX I enjoy most and just buy them.
Matt-
Black Gibson SG - Gibson Dirty Fingers Coil Split/ Seymour Duncan 59' HB
Brown Satin Gibson SG - Seymour Duncan Invader
Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat
Epiphone Electric Accoustic
Marshall Valvestate
Fender Mustang II
Boss DS-1
Vox Wah
Quote by ragingkitty
We'll get to the progression piece by piece. UG ain't going nowhere.

Also be careful about asking for extreme quality pedals. It can be misconstrued as boutique or expensive... and pedals can get very expensive.

If you want to know how I progress, this is how I went.

1. OD
2. Chorus
3. OD
4. Tuner
5. OD
6. Delay
7. Power supply
8. OD
9. Phaser
10. OD
11. Reverb

O yes, you'll probably need a tuner as well. Get the TC Electronics Polytune... plenty epic that one.

There's no real progression, you buy what you need to play.

When you get to a power supply, pick up a T-Rex Fuel Tank Jr or a T-Rex Chameleon. Both will serve you well.

Went and played the Blackheart Handsome Devil, and the JCA20H+JCA12S, and then tried the PicoValve. Got to try the Visual Sound Liquid Chorus, the TC Dark Matter and the Mojomojo too. Loved the Liquid Chorus and Dark Matter, the Mojomojo was definitely too roaring for me.

The Blackheart was AMAZING. Liked it much more than the JCA's. Didn't get to play the V22, but I pretty much fell for the Blackheart instantly.

Think I'm going to just buy it, learn it through and through and then pickup a Visual Sound Liquid Chorus. Or should I be getting the Dark Matter then the Liquid Chorus, decisions decisions.

Thanks so much for the help!
Quote by remedy1419
Went and played the Blackheart Handsome Devil, and the JCA20H+JCA12S, and then tried the PicoValve. Got to try the Visual Sound Liquid Chorus, the TC Dark Matter and the Mojomojo too. Loved the Liquid Chorus and Dark Matter, the Mojomojo was definitely too roaring for me.

The Blackheart was AMAZING. Liked it much more than the JCA's. Didn't get to play the V22, but I pretty much fell for the Blackheart instantly.

Think I'm going to just buy it, learn it through and through and then pickup a Visual Sound Liquid Chorus. Or should I be getting the Dark Matter then the Liquid Chorus, decisions decisions.

Thanks so much for the help!

Yer most welcome.

What do you mean that the MojoMojo was too roaring? Too much gain? Too much mids? Too much bass? Although I get this feeling that you probably find it too bassy. If that is the case, just pick up a tubescreamer.

Personally I like these

Ibanez TS9DX
http://www.ibanez.com/Electronics/model-TS9DX

Maxon ST9 Pro+ Super Tube
http://www.maxonfx.com/Nine_ST9_Pro_Plus.php

Fulltone OCD
http://www.fulltone.com/ocd.asp

NOC3 Pure Drive
http://noc3effects.com/pure-drive/

I like the last 3 because they have an 18V operation mode, the added headroom can make your tone really sparkle.

All of these pedals will cut / dump some bass frequencies so you will lose some of that bass roar.

Did you like the Liquid Chorus? If not you can check out the TC Electronics Corona Chorus
http://proguitarshop.com/store/effects-chorus-pedals-c-602_70/tc-electronic-corona-chorus-p-2746

or the

Hardwire Stereo Chorus
http://proguitarshop.com/store/effects-chorus-pedals-c-602_70/hardwire-cr-7-stereo-chorus-pedal-p-458

Tho I would go with the Corona

Why don't you go with the Blackheart first then only get your pedals when you are more familiar with your amp and you know what you want to change.

EDIT:

If you can get your hands on a Catalinbread Silverkiss Trinity AE for an OD, that can REALLY help add some sparkle to the generally muscular character of the Blackheart. It may take some hunting, because those pedals are out of production, and rare. Took me forever to find a new piece.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jul 16, 2011,
Quote by ragingkitty
Yer most welcome.

What do you mean that the MojoMojo was too roaring? Too much gain? Too much mids? Too much bass? Although I get this feeling that you probably find it too bassy. If that is the case, just pick up a tubescreamer.

Personally I like these

Ibanez TS9DX
http://www.ibanez.com/Electronics/model-TS9DX

Maxon ST9 Pro+ Super Tube
http://www.maxonfx.com/Nine_ST9_Pro_Plus.php

Fulltone OCD
http://www.fulltone.com/ocd.asp

NOC3 Pure Drive
http://noc3effects.com/pure-drive/

I like the last 3 because they have an 18V operation mode, the added headroom can make your tone really sparkle.

All of these pedals will cut / dump some bass frequencies so you will lose some of that bass roar.

Did you like the Liquid Chorus? If not you can check out the TC Electronics Corona Chorus
http://proguitarshop.com/store/effects-chorus-pedals-c-602_70/tc-electronic-corona-chorus-p-2746

or the

Hardwire Stereo Chorus
http://proguitarshop.com/store/effects-chorus-pedals-c-602_70/hardwire-cr-7-stereo-chorus-pedal-p-458

Tho I would go with the Corona

Why don't you go with the Blackheart first then only get your pedals when you are more familiar with your amp and you know what you want to change.

Not sure how to describe what I didn't like about the Mojomojo, which is definitely a sign that I should learn more about pedals before committing to anything.

Listened to the corona online, liked the sound of it. I'll have to try it sometime, same goes with the Fulltone OCD.

I'll heed your advice and just get to know the Blackheart.

Thanks.