Quote by LivinJoke84
Ive never really got why people want to do this.

2nd this
Yeah I used some sandpaper on the neck of my junior classical guitar - originally just to get the finish off (I found it way too frictioning for my left hand). My speed has increased quite a bit, and it has that awesome "road worn" look on the neck now atleast
Quote by Mausmaus
Yeah I used some sandpaper on the neck of my junior classical guitar - originally just to get the finish off (I found it way too frictioning for my left hand). My speed has increased quite a bit, and it has that awesome "road worn" look on the neck now atleast

do you have a picture?
lolsandpaper

It's gonna look horrible if you sandpaper the top.
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
anything you do to your guitar to age it, whether sandpapering the finish or using a solvent or other finish, will thin or weaken the finish, meaning less protection to the guitar.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Play the hell out of it. Worn guitars are only cool if they got that way by being used as intended.
and yet two of my favorite old guitars don't look worn almost at all. my husband has a 1938 kalamazoo in good shape, no major scratches, no scuffs or any of that. and my favorite older parlor is a 1926 martin 0-18 that looks just great - better than some people's new guitars.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by LivinJoke84
Ive never really got why people want to do this.

3rd this. Don't do it. You'll regret it. I did it to my first guitar (a cheap STRAT copy) and I've regretted it tremendously since. It's absolutely worthless and now that it's actually starting to age naturally it looks UGLY.
DO NOT... REPEAT!... DO NOT SAND the top of your guitar! Many people sand the back of the neck because the finish affects how they play. But "relic'ing an acoustic will ruin the guitar and will destroy its value. Just play it.

IMHO: "relic'ing" is the worst fad that ever came down the pike. Years from now, many people will be very sad to find out their expensive guitars are worth nothing because it had to look old and they took sandpaper to it.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
Quote by Auriemma
DO NOT... REPEAT!... DO NOT SAND the top of your guitar! Many people sand the back of the neck because the finish affects how they play. But "relic'ing an acoustic will ruin the guitar and will destroy its value. Just play it.

IMHO: "relic'ing" is the worst fad that ever came down the pike. Years from now, many people will be very sad to find out their expensive guitars are worth nothing because it had to look old and they took sandpaper to it.

I don't really get how it ruins the guitar to just sand the finish off of the neck. It's not like you lose centimeters of wood to sustain the tension of the strings, just the finish.

As for the value, yes of course it drops a bit, but obviously you won't make these kind of modifications on a guitar you plan on selling.
Quote by Mausmaus
As for the value, yes of course it drops a bit, but obviously you won't make these kind of modifications on a guitar you plan on selling.

People sell guitars they own!? That'd be like selling a child!

In any case, sure, sanding away the finish will do what you want right now, assuming you do it properly. In a year or three, it will look extremely ugly. Old guitars that have the finish worn away look good because

- The wearing of the finish is a lot more natural-looking than what someone would achieve with sandpaper
- They aren't going to get much worse.

That said, it is your guitar - do as you please. It isn't recommended though.
The best and quickest way to age a guitar is to play it. Nothing else will come close to making it have the "rode hard and put up wet" look.
Quote by Spud Spudly
Send it to the Fender factory and write them a $3000 check.

Rather than wreck the guitar you have, how about finding some higher end instrument somebody else has worn the resale value off of? You get a quality guitar with the look you want, and it'll probably never be worth less than what you pay for it.
As for me, I like my stuff shiny and new looking!
Quote by Mausmaus
I don't really get how it ruins the guitar to just sand the finish off of the neck.

I never said sanding the back of the neck ruins the guitar. Sand the top will.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
Quote by Auriemma

You did, but it doesn't really matter anyways.

The guitar I did it on was my first 3/4 sized classical guitar that I don't plan on using for anything special or reselling, so for me it didn't matter at all and seemed like a good choice due to the massive increase in playablity that I got from it.

I wouldn't do it on my 1000 euro Strat though, rather just wear one of those slim, black gloves, wow the playability!
Squirt some lighter fluid on and in it and throw matches at it.

Why would you wanna do that? Unless you're a folk or blues player.
Gear:
Squier Affinity Series Stratocaster
Epiphone G-400
Line 6 Spider
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
BOSS DD-3

"Wish I Had This" Gear:
Guitars- G&L, Gibson, PRS
Amps- Egnater, Bogner
Effects- Fulltone, JHS, Eventide
I don't get why you're all so offensive about this subject, I think quite a lot of guitarists like the worn look on vintage guitars but don't want to wait 20-40 years for their own guitar to acquire that look.

And after all, if you regret or if your guitar really gets as damaged and ruined as everybody in here seems to claim, I guess you could just re-paint and finish it again.
First of all, why are you using Nickleback as an example? I mean seriously.....

And secondly you should buy an aged acoustic, just becasue it has that much more character, instead of relic-ing your guitar. Thats whats posers do. Moving on.
Ok... I will admit I said it poorly. I meant many sand the back of the neck because of the way it FEELS (which affects how they play the guitar). Some don't like glossy necks or satin finshes, so they sand it some or all the way to bare wood to get the feel they want.
--- Joe ---