Hi,
I'd like some pedal recommendations because there are so many pedals, and I don't know exactly what I need.
I currently play with a Epiphone Les Paul Standard through a Vox AC30 C2 (soon that might be a Fender Telecaster, don't know which model..)
I've just bought a EHX Big Muff and a Boss TU-3.
Now I need an overdrive/booster, but do I still need a separate distortion pedal (because I already have a EXH Big Muff. I know it's a fuzz pedal, but you can create a sort of distortion with it..)
Currently I play lots of different music with my band: Pearl Jam, Led Zeppelin, Arctic Monkeys, The Strokes, The Kooks...
I just want a good sound to play that music, so which overdrive pedal / booster / distortion pedal could you guys recommend me for my gear and my taste in music.
(I'm sorry for my language, I'm from Belgium.)
Budget?
New or used?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
The Empress Multidrive is very diverse and will give you a lot of classic rock sounds (will not give you that huge metal tone), and it includes fuzz, distortion and overdrive in one unit. For a vintage tube sound, the Analog Alien Fuzzbubble-45 is great (developed by two brothers who own a recording studio and who have won awards for their work)... it emulates Townsend and Hendrix incredibly well, but there's enough adjustment in the switches that you get quite a range of overdrive and distortion, as well as fuzz. This has one of the most authentic 'tube' sounds I have heard in a pedal... nothing thin or digital sounding here.
Quote by ragingkitty
Budget?
New or used?

I have around $ 200 (€ 150) to spend. It can be used for one or two pedals, but I prefer two.
edit: I could buy a used one by the way, but I live in Belgium and the used-market is quiet limited
Last edited by Gilles_massin at Jul 15, 2011,
Quote by logicbdj
The Empress Multidrive is very diverse and will give you a lot of classic rock sounds (will not give you that huge metal tone), and it includes fuzz, distortion and overdrive in one unit. For a vintage tube sound, the Analog Alien Fuzzbubble-45 is great (developed by two brothers who own a recording studio and who have won awards for their work)... it emulates Townsend and Hendrix incredibly well, but there's enough adjustment in the switches that you get quite a range of overdrive and distortion, as well as fuzz. This has one of the most authentic 'tube' sounds I have heard in a pedal... nothing thin or digital sounding here.

Thanks for the reply,
the Empress Multidrive isn't available in my country and is a little too expensive for me.
Also they don't sell the Analog Alien Fuzzbubble-45 in Belgium.. weird
Fulltone OCD or Wampler Plextortion
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
TC Electronics MojoMojo

Excellent OD pedal... I liked the crunchy sound when I tested it

http://www.thomann.de/be/tc_electronic_mojomojo.htm

€129
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
TC Electronics MojoMojo

Excellent OD pedal... I liked the crunchy sound when I tested it

http://www.thomann.de/be/tc_electronic_mojomojo.htm

€129

I guess it will be the TC Electronics MojoMojo or the Fulltone OCD.
Thanks everybody, if you got any other suggestions...
edit: can these two pedals also be used as a booster?
Last edited by Gilles_massin at Jul 15, 2011,
Quote by Gilles_massin
I guess it will be the TC Electronics MojoMojo or the Fulltone OCD.
Thanks everybody, if you got any other suggestions...
edit: can these two pedals also be used as a booster?

Yeah, just turn the gain down to 0 and tweak the Bass and Treble (or tone on the OCD) knobs until you get a sound that is basically a louder version of your existing tone.

I have the OCD and I'd think that the MojoMojo would suit you better.

The issue of using the OCD and MojoMojo is that there's a little bit of frequency alteration even with the gain down to zero... so you're not getting a true clean boost.

If you want a OD that does a clean boost very well, check out the Timmy, but its pricey and has a long wait time (3 - 4 weeks I think).

Another pedal that I've been liking again recently (another really awesome OD I got just kicked it and every other OD off my pedal board) is the NOC3 Pure Drive.

http://noc3effects.com/pure-drive/

Its like a boutique tubescreamer with greater versatility.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jul 15, 2011,
Quote by ragingkitty
Yeah, just turn the gain down to 0 and tweak the Bass and Treble (or tone on the OCD) knobs until you get a sound that is basically a louder version of your existing tone.

I have the OCD and I'd think that the MojoMojo would suit you better.

The issue of using the OCD and MojoMojo is that there's a little bit of frequency alternation even with the gain down to zero... so you're not getting a true clean boost.

If you want a OD that does a clean boost very well, check out the Timmy, but its pricey and has a long wait time (3 - 4 weeks I think).

Another pedal that I've been liking again recently (another really awesome OD I got just kicked it and every other OD off my pedal board) is the NOC3 Pure Drive.

http://noc3effects.com/pure-drive/

Its like a boutique tubescreamer with greater versatility.

okay thanks!
What do you think about the Boss Bluesdriver 2? Its a little cheaper, the reviews are good.. ever tried this one?
Quote by Gilles_massin
okay thanks!
What do you think about the Boss Bluesdriver 2? Its a little cheaper, the reviews are good.. ever tried this one?

you get what I'd call a "gritty, driven tone for the bloos"... its quite divisive in some ways... most people I know only really use it for a light - moderate crunch or for the blues. Not sure about others.

You should pick up the Keeley or Monte Allums mods for the Boss dirt pedals if you want to consider Boss. They're quite utterly pieces of shit without the mods.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Okay, I think I'll just test both the OCD and the MojoMojo in my local musicstore.. thanks
you might want to try a Digitech Hardwire CM-2 Tube Overdrive. it does the tubescreamer thing as well as having a mod switch which kicks up the gain. very responsive 2 band eq and it's affordable.
looks like a good pedal indeed! Any other experiences with that pedal?
edit: i've read that the HardWire CM-2 Tube Overdrive isn't that good with humbuckers. But it sounds good with a tele..
Last edited by Gilles_massin at Jul 16, 2011,
Gilles:

I did a review on the FuzzBubble:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_effects/analog_alien/fuzzbubble-45/index.html

Maybe email the company as they likely would sell to you direct. They sold to me as there is no one within my area selling it either. Also, their site (www.AnalogAlien.com) has user Youtube videos. The quality of the pedal and its sound (through cheap speakers) sold me on it.
Quote by Gilles_massin
Okay, I think I'll just test both the OCD and the MojoMojo in my local musicstore.. thanks

Those are the two I'd look seriously at.
The digitech hardwire series gets a lot of praise, so definitely check them out.

If you really want to cheap out, look at the danelectro transparent overdrive and drive pedals. The V1 of both these pedals are great, the drive V1 is an OCD clone, and the transparent OD V1 is a Timmy clone.
You would have to go used with these as danelectro got in a bit of trouble with copyright and hence released V2 of both those pedals [which aren't as good IMO].
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by Gilles_massin
Hi,
I'd like some pedal recommendations because there are so many pedals, and I don't know exactly what I need.
I currently play with a Epiphone Les Paul Standard through a Vox AC30 C2 (soon that might be a Fender Telecaster, don't know which model..)
I've just bought a EHX Big Muff and a Boss TU-3.
Now I need an overdrive/booster, but do I still need a separate distortion pedal (because I already have a EXH Big Muff. I know it's a fuzz pedal, but you can create a sort of distortion with it..)
Currently I play lots of different music with my band: Pearl Jam, Led Zeppelin, Arctic Monkeys, The Strokes, The Kooks...
I just want a good sound to play that music, so which overdrive pedal / booster / distortion pedal could you guys recommend me for my gear and my taste in music.
(I'm sorry for my language, I'm from Belgium.)

Ibanez TS808... And try to get the Hand Wired one...
to be perfectly honest. it sounds like to me, that you would do well with buying an "ehx holy stain".

it has fuzz and distortion settings, and for some reason i think it would work for you.
@ Perverockstar69;
wow, what an expensive pedal.. do you really think there isn't any better out there for a lower price?
@ 00_hns_00; I'll take a look at that pedal

I'm still thinking about the Fulltone OCD, the Mojomojo and the Hardwire CM-2
But which overdrive pedal with built in booster would you guys recommend?
Quote by Perverockstar69
Ibanez TS808... And try to get the Hand Wired one...

I don't see the point in this for the TS. If he want's a tubescreamer I'd just recommend a TS9 or TS7 even. The TS808 is undoubtedly a bit better, but not by a huge amount, especially when using it as a boost, and there are better options for an od pedal if he isn't using it as a boost IMO
The hand wired TS is just an even more expensive one, and I don't think much is gained... I think it's more a collectors item, or maybe it's for people like Eric Johnson...
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by 00_hns_00
to be perfectly honest. it sounds like to me, that you would do well with buying an "ehx holy stain".

it has fuzz and distortion settings, and for some reason i think it would work for you.

Nice!
Quote by Perverockstar69
Nice!

i thought you would like it.

plus, its cheaper than the hardwire. it usually sells for like 90$ or so in the u.s. so i can't imagine it would be much more in europe.

plus, it has reverb effects, has 3 way tone coloring, and can also be used as a tremolo as well, which i think pearl jam sometimes used.