Hey guys!!

So!, I have a Peavey Vypyr 30. And I WAS thinking about getting the Sanpera 2 because of the functions it opens up.

Now, the Sanpera only acts as a remote control, it does not generate any effects.

My dad made an interesting point, if I bought the Sanpera, I'd be forced to use it with the vypyr, then he reminded me that this wasn't going to be my only amp for the rest of my life.

What he was trying to say was, that if I bought the sanpera, i'd waste $250 on something I'd never use with any other amp. But if I bought a multiple effect pedalboard, I could use it with any other amo I had later in my life.

He suggested the BOSS ME-70.

So, what do you guys think? I can either buy:

1. Peavey Sanpera 2

pros: opens up many tone possibilities for the amp, lets me control the stomboxes or effects.
cons: i can only use it with the vypyr.

2. Get a Multiple Effect generator:

pros: I can use it with any amp I have later in my life, including the vypyr
cons: -

3. Get separate stomboxes and effects

pros: get the tone I want and how I want it
cons: probably more expensive.

what should I do?

Thanks! Cheers!
Gibson Firebird 70s Tribute
Orange TH30
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Big Muff Pi
If I were you I'd skip the sanpera. It's a dead end whereas the other 2 options can at least provide more longevity.

Multi-Effects generators are great for somebody on a budget looking for a lot of different sounds, and probably starting to gig in the near future. The downside is eventually it will grow stale, and they never sound quite like the actual stompboxes. If you're okay with your sound being good enough to gig on, but never absolutely perfect this is your best bet.

Stompboxes are definitely going to be an expensive venture, but you don't have to buy everything at once. As you said you will get the tone you want, the way you want. However...SS amps don't usually take pedals well, modeling amps in particular if memory serves me well. Basically the pedal isn't going to act right until you have a tubed amp(Dirt Boxes in particular).

It's your call but I suggest get a multi fx that isn't quite top of the line so you're not burning a ton of money on it, then once you progress further and acquire your "perfect amp" start checking out stomp boxes.
Fender Lone Star Stratocaster
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 SH
Peavey VK112
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Boss OS-2
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Although the allure of multiple effects in one pedal makes sense it has its drawbacks. Many are over complicated and over priced for what they do. This is in addition to the fact that you may find that you don't need 90% of the effects in the future.

In most cases if you know the effects you want and care about the quality of the sound then separate effects pedals are the best way to go. This way you wont have to cycle through 50 other effects to find the one you want to play with. However if you figure that you will be playing a very wide range of styles that require many different effects this may get expensive. In that case a high quality multi effects pedal may be the way to go.
as it has a midi in, i'm pretty sure you can program a multi fx unit that has midi out to control the vypr too

i've had a boss gt-10 for a while and the only thing that i don't like about it is the overdrive's but i (e:don't) need them actually, the real gain channel on my amp is far better. does sound a bit digital if you plug it straight into the input of your amp but if you have an fx-loop and use the 4 cable method to connect it, you get much more of your natural tone from the amp
Last edited by funeralllllllll at Jul 15, 2011,
I dont have much experience with the Boss multieffects pedal but I do have the Line 6 pod xt live. I also have a ton of pedals so I use a couple different setups. You can get the line 6 to sound really good. Just like the pedals. I actually use it to record and just plug straight in to my mac book pro and use garage band. I would say look into the new line 6 pod floorboard and i think you'll be pretty happy. You can also plug that in to a stereo and then have 2 amps if someone wants to jam. Just a thought.
I have the boss ME-70 and I would absolutely recommend it. It's 300 dollars, and has almost every effect you could possibly ask for in a pedal (not sustain, unfortunately). I run it throughout my peavey classic 30, and although the distortion sounds a bit sterile, it's great for shredding stuff and fan go as brutal as you need it to. The phrase loop is one of my favorite features. Record a chord progression, and you can jam on it as long as you'd like. And you can play it with headphones. It's definitely worth the money.

It's also extremely easy to use, just 4 "stomp boxes" where you can dial in the effect you want manually. It also has a volume pedal that can be used as a whammy pedal, wah pedal, changing the delay level, voice effects (think wall-e) etc.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Last edited by fearofthemark at Jul 15, 2011,
A multi-fx unit into a modelling never really seemed to make sense to me.
The sanpera would easily be my first option (assuming you're talking about the sanpera 2) chances are by the time you buy your next upgrade the need for thousands of effects all at once will diminish, not saying it won't but by then you'll probably end up figuring out what you like more than others.
Go for the sanpera, however if you have your heart set on a multi-fx unit go for something a bit cheaper than an ME-70. I used my RP-50 all the time when I first started, now it sits in my cupboard never used again.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
dont waste your money on a multiFX unit. that would be so retarded I cant even...

the sanperaII is the cost of what 2 pedals? so thats your overdrive and your wah, which are really the only effects you will ever use outside of maybe a phaser. but with the sanpera, you get the volume pedal, wah, looper, and foot controll over all the vypyr effects. plus you can switch effects off and without walking up to the amp and disabling them or changing banks... plus I think the sanpera can be used as a midi controller which you could hook up to your computer and use for recording/mixing stuffs if you ever get into that.

now, its true you could buy a bunch of pedals and use them the rest of your life. but the truth of it is, youre still going to find that when you get a nice tube amp, the pedals you have sound shitty so you will end up going out and buying new pedals anyways...

ETA: 1 decent pedal costs as much as or more than that whole amp. I paid $150 for the vypyr30, then $120 for a MXR 10band EQ. both brand new. keep that in mind.
"When losers say it's over with you know that it's a lie
The gods made heavy metal and it's never gonna die"
Last edited by kolonelkadat at Jul 15, 2011,
It depends on how you're going to use effects. Some people use a lot and others use very little. If you're going to use chorus for one song and a flanger for another, it's not really worth it to spend $150+ just for those two applications. A multi-effect would be better if that sounds like you. You'll have access to whatever effects you need whenever you want them. If you're using chorus for every song, you might want a specific chorus that a MFX doesn't provide. MFX are also good for experimentation.
I would suggest the Zoom G2.
About $100, good quality and can nail basically any sound, including Pantera, all that good stuff, more effects than you know what to do with, and also has drums and a tuner.
Cusp of Magic
I'd go with an me50. Its better quality than the me70(boss skimped on q to get the looper etc at $300. You can get one used at the cost of a single pedal. While the distortions are lacking(I use a seperate sd-1 with mine) every other effect is great. Then down the road add stompboxes. The me50 is the perfect fx starter kit and is still an essential part of my practice rig
The rp355 sounds great and has many amps and effects in it. It is very easy to use and it has a midi out so you can plug it straight into your computer and record. I think it sounds better than the boss mfx units, IMO. I highly recommend it.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
So, today I'm gonna go buy either the sanpera, the mFX unit or some pedals. any more thoughts?
Gibson Firebird 70s Tribute
Orange TH30
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Big Muff Pi
It depends, the best route is definately individual pedals.

Not worth it until you have a decent tube amp though, as any SS ive used doesnt like pedals that much, far better sound though multi fx like a boss gt10 is good.

Other thing is realistically you will want a power supply if your getting loads of stompboxes.
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Quote by SupahStrat
So, today I'm gonna go buy either the sanpera, the mFX unit or some pedals. any more thoughts?

I'd defanatly get the mfx unit because you'll save so much money and you'll have easily find the tone that you like. IMO, the and distortions on mfx units like the rp355 only sound a little bit worse than the real stomp boxes. Some of the effects(flange, tremolo, chorus, wah, and more) are just as good on mfx units IMO.
all of the above option will sound like shit thru the vypyr A) because its a modeler and B) because its digital. get a tube amp and put real stompboxes in front of it IF you need them. the majority of tone should come from ur amp and ur playing is more important than the effects u put in front of it
Quote by andrerist
all of the above option will sound like shit thru the vypyr A) because its a modeler and B) because its digital. get a tube amp and put real stompboxes in front of it IF you need them. the majority of tone should come from ur amp and ur playing is more important than the effects u put in front of it

There is a way you can connect the mfx unit via aux cable to your amp to bypass the amp itself and go direct to the amps speaker. I did this on my cube and it sounds alot better than plugging it straight into the amps input.