Lovin my tones clean and crunch.
Mostly playing rock.

I'd love to add a 3rd channel for the few harder rock or metal tunes that we play.

Just something I could stomp on rather than messing with my amp settings.

Budget 100.00 usd

Could I get some advise & suggestions?

Thanks!!
2011 PRS CU24 (Black/Gold), Carvin Legacy 3
Two words;

Distortion pedal.
Gear:

Ibanez Prestige RGA121H - Crushed Dark Ruby
Line 6 Spider III 30W
^^^

Yup.
LOOK

Call me Neutral.
Quote by da_
I wonder if you get more out put if you wire a battery to your penis.
Quote by Mathamology
You could get either a distortion or an overdrive pedal;

The distortion could be used on the clean channel, whereas the overdrive could be used to push the dirt channel harder.

The above is right.

Personally I prefer overdrive over a cranked nice-sounding valve amp, and distortion on a solid-state amp as they don't clip and distort the same way.

Overdrive kind of enhances your amp's original tone, whereas distortion sort of forges it's own.

That's a really poor way of explaining the difference, but hopefully it helps.
LOOK

Call me Neutral.
Quote by da_
Quote by NeutralFan
The above is right.

Personally I prefer overdrive over a cranked nice-sounding valve amp, and distortion on a solid-state amp as they don't clip and distort the same way.

Overdrive kind of enhances your amp's original tone, whereas distortion sort of forges it's own.

That's a really poor way of explaining the difference, but hopefully it helps.

Actually a very good description!

I love my distortion channel so maybe OD is they way to go for me on this.

So will I'll be able to get say a more Van Halen or Rhodes sound from my amp at mid-distortion just by adding and stompping on an OD?
2011 PRS CU24 (Black/Gold), Carvin Legacy 3
Quote by TornUp
Actually a very good description!

I love my distortion channel so maybe OD is they way to go for me on this.

So will I'll be able to get say a more Van Halen or Rhodes sound from my amp at mid-distortion just by adding and stompping on an OD?

Depends what amp you have!

What overdrives and distortions (also boosters) do is that they boost the signal from your guitar so that when it reaches the amp it's more powerful and drives the amp harder (hence the 'overdrive') and makes is distort (hence 'distortion').

Good ODs and distortions are pretty versatile, and if you look around you should be able to find a pedal to suit your needs. I'm pretty certain you'll be able to get hold of Van Halen or Rhodes or whatever 'signature' boxes in much the same way as you would with an amp or a guitar, but you should definitely shop around and see what you can find. I'm no effects nut, but those over in GG&A should be able to give you a hand.

Edit: But yeah, their job is to distort your amp and that's what they do.

Also, I say I'm not an effects nut, but from what I hear the Tonerider pedals are very good value. The British Distortion and American Overdrive (what imaginative people these guys are) might be worth looking into.
LOOK

Call me Neutral.
Quote by da_
Last edited by NeutralFan at Jul 15, 2011,