just looking for input on what Trem to get (please don't just say floyd original, without putting any thought out into it)

I have used the license models that come on deans, and i gotta say i love those. they must be cheap, but hell, they work for me.

Just going through on stewmac and they have a no named licensed one for way cheap, then they have the schaller, and finally the original.

anybody know the differences between them?

I know there is many benefits to getting the original (eg. accessories for floating trems, are based off of the original) but does anyone have any reason to get one of the others? (besides price haha)

This is going to be going into a laminated SG knock off with a spalted beech top, i'll post pics when its done.
So it's a Floyd you want? As opposed to a Bigsby or Fender-style trem or any other kind of system?
LOOK

Call me Neutral.
Quote by da_
I wonder if you get more out put if you wire a battery to your penis.
definately floyd styled floating trem.

BUT i am willing to hear of other trem systems that can give similar sounds and whatnot, i made this thread just to learn so, shoot away.
Last edited by MartialLawband at Jul 15, 2011,
Well, as far as Floyds go, a Floyd is a Floyd is a Floyd, whether an original or licensed or so on. However, some licensed FRs work better than others.

First of all it should be explained that the Floyd was originally patented by the company, but the patent has now run out and companies are free to make their own clones, which often have something to the effect of "licensed by Floyd Rose" somewhere on them. So that's what people mean by licensed Floyd Roses; they're clones.

With that out of the way, Original Floyds made by Floyd Rose are generally seen as the top-drawer benchmark. If you want quality, the original is best, though also the most expensive (often by a long way).

Then there are the myriad licensed Floyds. The no-name entry-level Floyds like the one you found on Stew Mac are generally made of cheap, soft metals and will wear out much quicker than a better-quality trem. I would advise you to avoid them and invest in a better one as the cheap trems are usually truly crap. However, the bigger brands like Schaller, Gotoh, and Kahler make their Floyds out of much better materials and are almost as good and sometimes as good as the Originals. I know from experience that the Schaller trems are excellent and can give Original Floyds a run for their money. They also come in prettier colours. IMO, they're the way to go, at least out of that selection.
LOOK

Call me Neutral.
Quote by da_
Last edited by NeutralFan at Jul 15, 2011,
Any time!

LOOK

Call me Neutral.
Quote by da_
I would ask you is the guitar you want to put this in already routed for a trem? As not all manufacturers have the same cavity size for the trems.

Example......Ibanez Edge III is basically a floyd copy but the route in the guitar is a little different, so you can't just throw an OFR in that guitar without modifying the route.

Always a good idea to measure everything so you know it will deff fit. WOuld hate for you to order a new trem and then it not fit in the guitar.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by NeutralFan
First of all it should be explained that the Floyd was originally patented by the company, but the patent has now run out and companies are free to make their own clones, which often have something to the effect of "licensed by Floyd Rose" somewhere on them. So that's what people mean by licensed Floyd Roses; they're clones.

Basically correct, except that legally they don't have to have the "licensed under... etc." stamped on them anymore (unless it's a low profile copy since that patent still stands).

And regarding Schaller FRs- Schaller made the original FRs in the beginning and they are at least as nice. The Gotoh has the advantage of coming with locking studs and, IIRC, a press-fit arm, but the screw-in arms shouldn't wear out unless you get a low-range LFR or import OFR.

On "OFR": Floyd Rose themselves have released several models in recent years, so the original Floyd Rose logo is not a sign of quality in itself anymore. The 1000 series and FR Special are really nice trems for sure if you look at the functional workings, but their arm socket, collet and tabs are the worst and I for one cannot live with them.

If you end up with one of those (I'm guessing you wont, since I've only seem them come stock on import guitars such as certain Schecters and LTDs) then I'd strongly recommend you invest in a replacement arm from Schaller. It'll save you a lot of grief when the arm won't stay put because the tabs have been ground down after no more than a few days and the fit of the socket itself is so shoddy you have at least five degrees of extra play in the arm.

Another alternative is Ping, but I don't really know a lot about them. They have a decent rep and the finish and laser etched logo are really nice, but I cannot tell you more than that about the Ping FRs. (Don't confuse them with FR Special- Ping also makes those, but that's not the model I'm talking about- the "proper" Ping can be identified by the brass block, which is a good thing)

If you want the best OFR (reportedly) that Schaller used to make then you want to be looking for one that has the real Floyd Rose logo on the shoulder and "Made in Germany" stamped on the bottom.
Last edited by Pikka Bird at Jul 15, 2011,
Quote by Pikka Bird
Basically correct, except that legally they don't have to have the "licensed under... etc." stamped on them anymore (unless it's a low profile copy since that patent still stands).

And regarding Schaller FRs- Schaller made the original FRs in the beginning and they are at least as nice. The Gotoh has the advantage of coming with locking studs and, IIRC, a press-fit arm, but the screw-in arms shouldn't wear out unless you get a low-range LFR or import OFR.

On "OFR": Floyd Rose themselves have released several models in recent years, so the original Floyd Rose logo is not a sign of quality in itself anymore. The 1000 series and FR Special are really nice trems for sure if you look at the functional workings, but their arm socket, collet and tabs are the worst and I for one cannot live with them.
If you end up with one of those (I'm guessing you wont, since I've only seem them come stock on import guitars such as certain Schecters and LTDs) then I'd strongly recommend you invest in a replacement arm from Schaller. It'll save you a lot of grief when the arm won't stay put because the tabs have been ground down after no more than a few days and the fit of the socket itself is so shoddy you have at least five degrees of extra play in the arm.

Another alternative is Ping, but I don't really know a lot about them. They have a decent rep and the finish and laser etched logo are really nice, but I cannot tell you more than that about the Ping FRs.

There you are, I'm no expert.

I was just thinking though, like the guy up there, you were saying that you were going to put this in an SG. You should make sure you'll be able to fit a trem cavity in there, as SGs are pretty thin and you might struggle to find room. It really would be a drag to buy one and then accidentally route straight into the pickup cavities!
LOOK

Call me Neutral.
Quote by da_
^Oh yeah, that's something that needs to be sorted out. However, if you mount it suspended above the face of the body (like our buddy Dime used to do) then you'll need less thickness. Tony Iommi has one with a Floyd and I've seen an Epiphone modded with one, so it's definitely possible.
Quote by Pikka Bird
^Oh yeah, that's something that needs to be sorted out. However, if you mount it suspended above the face of the body (like our buddy Dime used to do) then you'll need less thickness. Tony Iommi has one with a Floyd and I've seen an Epiphone modded with one, so it's definitely possible.

This is true...and even if it were a recessed trem and the sustain block stuck out the back it wouldn't be the end of the world...or you would just have to get a shorter sustain block so it wouldn't stick out.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ

It seems strange to call this an SG, but Epiphone call it one and it features a Floyd. So evidently it can at least be done.

Quote by srob7001
This is true...and even if it were a recessed trem and the sustain block stuck out the back it wouldn't be the end of the world...or you would just have to get a shorter sustain block so it wouldn't stick out.

Perhaps, but what I'm more worried about is routing the trem cavity in the first place. There really is very little room there on an SG and it will have to be a very shallow cavity for it not to literally go into the pickup cavities.

Edit:

Ah-ha. This is an Epi G-400 and a Floyd. Doesn't look recessed to me, but it's there.

Edit 2: Sorry for the massive picture...

Edit 3: Yes, another edit. It's better than double-posting.

Actually, re-reading the OP, are you building this guitar yourself, or at least getting it custom-built? If you are, it may not be too late to make it a bit thicker than your standard SG and recess the Floyd after all.
LOOK

Call me Neutral.
Quote by da_
Last edited by NeutralFan at Jul 16, 2011,
haha, I shoulda been more clear.

thats an Aria pro 2, which as you can see is pretty similar shape to an SG. and i redisgned that guitar slightly and am building it from the rough lumber. I like to think of it that i am knocking off the knock off.

so making sure its thick enough and possible, was goal number one with laminating the body (i'll post another thread at sometime to show off the actual build.)

so thanks everyone for there opinions and advice, have a better idea what to look for now.

one more question, does anyone know the company that makes the floyds for deans? I assume its another company besides dean, because knowing them they would strap a logo on it if they made it
If you get a cheaper one at least make sure it has hardened steel inserts on the pivot edge and studs. I've seen those things round over and make the trem weird to use with the crappy pot metal stuff some manufacturers use...
Check the neck angle!

You cannot simply recess a floyd rose or not based on how much room you have in the guitar. It has to be planned using the angle of the neck.