As titled; the amp, purchased used/low hours, has a hiss. I compared it to a new Fender 65R and the hiss was apparently common to the model. Now, several months later, the hiss occasionally gains and becomes intermittent.
Major questions are;
1) is it possible to make repairs/mods to remove the hiss?
2) any ideas what would cause the on/off hiss....bad component?
3) estimates of what would need to be done;or opinions of simply having the entire amp gone over?

TIA
D-10
Quote by deltaten
As titled; the amp, purchased used/low hours, has a hiss. I compared it to a new Fender 65R and the hiss was apparently common to the model. Now, several months later, the hiss occasionally gains and becomes intermittent.
Major questions are;
1) is it possible to make repairs/mods to remove the hiss?
2) any ideas what would cause the on/off hiss....bad component?
3) estimates of what would need to be done;or opinions of simply having the entire amp gone over?

TIA
D-10

The Hiss is because of the reverb. When you have it anywhere past 4 it hisses like crazy.
Quote by mcraddict81592
If you need to kill a man with a 9v adapter? I say strangulate. Or swing the heavy end around and aim for the temple, all depends on your style.

FrankenBee Build
Hardly ever take it past 3. Seems to be contained to the amp side. Only way ta figger that would be to discon the reverb, if possible? and see if it remains? The hiss is linear to the volume and no dramatic increase when in gain mode or jack the 'verb.

I can live with the resident, slight hiss. It *IS* a 65 w reverb unit, after all Just the irregular peak gives me visions of having to drop $$$ into it after it melts down

I *was* hoping some other Fender 65R owner had suss'd it out and had a decent and inexpensive fix.

Best,
D-10
I had a 25R that hissed, but this was directly due to the reverb. Not sure exactly what's causing this to yours when the 'verb is rolled off; my guess is the result of cheap components. But yeah, I'm familiar with what you're talking about.

So i took the damn thing back and used it as a deposit for my blues junior
well you might be able to shunt it out of the signal by slapping a small cap (say 2.2nF or so) across the speaker output. if it removes the hiss, great. if it removes too much high-end (you may barely even notice) then use a smaller cap.
Last edited by Invader Jim at Jul 16, 2011,
Thanks Jim! Just what I needed; an easy and reversible fix. The amp is brite enuff to stand the high-end loss.