well i guess the thread title already says what i want to know. what is thing little thing on my fender mexican standard stratocaster body i bought. Is it a sort of extra ground or something?

it's coming just a little bit out of the body

inb4dickjokes

also, I have no clue. Can't really see what it is from the picture
If creationists made Pokemon:
"What the, Pikachu is...Congratulations, God decided your Pikachu is now a Raichu."

So what...I like Metal...sue me

"music elitists"
Kind of just looks like a screw that went through the body.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by guitar-tin
That looks like a hole for the ground wire which is connected to the springs claw....

This
Gear:

Fender American Strat, texas specials
Fender Tele Baja
VOX AC15
Ibanez Analog Delay
Boss Keeley Blues Driver
Katana boost
Dunlop Wah
Quote by BvH001
This

I don't think that is what it is.

If it is, then what is the other hole to the left of it in the second picture. That to me appears to be the hole for the ground wire to go through.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by srob7001
I don't think that is what it is.

If it is, then what is the other hole to the left of it in the second picture. That to me appears to be the hole for the ground wire to go through.

could be a redundancy ground
ive done the same once
run 2 grounds to the same places so just in case one fail you have a spare hence the name "redundancy''
It is indeed just another ground. My Mexico Strat had one when it was stock also.

As long as you run a Trem-Claw ground, you don't need it, but it doesn't hurt either.
Quote by Wylde_Life
It is indeed just another ground. My Mexico Strat had one when it was stock also.

As long as you run a Trem-Claw ground, you don't need it, but it doesn't hurt either.

i didnt like it either
Quote by fenderfreak100
could be a redundancy ground
ive done the same once
run 2 grounds to the same places so just in case one fail you have a spare hence the name "redundancy''

redundancy ground=ground loop=more noise

Guitar circuits are high-impedance, and high-Z circuits are very susceptible to noise pickup. adding more wires in your ground return makes loops that pick up more noise. redundancy is completely unnecessary in a guitar, as they are not dangerous (unless you are adding safety features to protect you from a killer tube amp, and a tube amp having a ground potential appreciably higher than your's is extremely rare anyway) and a failure of a guitar circuit will not cause catastrophic failure of stuff down the line from it. the voltages and currents in a guitar are miniscule to begin with.

+1 to LeviMan. if the cavity has shielding paint, that screw and solder lug are there to ground the paint (so that it'd actually do what it's supposed to).
Last edited by Invader Jim at Jul 16, 2011,